• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

When are the crocks due back

Does anyone have any idea when our crocked strikers are back? Murphy was supposed to be back on the grass 2 weeks ago so surely he must be ready for Oldham Saturday?? Cardwell is in the gym and should be heeling pretty fast at his age,one would have thought? And the only other is hyde which is a recent hamstring so he should be last back! These 3 are killing us right now! We need them back as powell can do it against canvey island but he sure cant score from the penalty spot or looks like he s...s!! Himself once through on goal

Realistically a month at least from when proper training starts for Murphy and cardwell or it will just cause a reoccurence.
If no setbacks it's possible Murphy in 3 to 4 weeks. Cardwell longer by possibly an extra 4 to 6 weeks. t was a nasty rupture. Therel be games arranged for them or u23 games and 45 mins here and there before the subs bench and a last 20 mins of a game. Cardwell ankle could be susceptible if rushed. he's a big guy and was still adapting to full time training.
updates from the club aren't easy as recoveries are always subject to niggles and setbacks. The club wants them back Firing on all cylinders as much as we do but it's pointless taking chances.
These guys have not had a preseason so even when fit from training, they won't be match fit. Muscle memory can last 3 weeks tops for a pro so small breaks aren't too bad in fitness terms but these two have been out of action a while and can't just pick up where they left off sadly.
Best we can do is cross fingers for no setbacks and hope it's a little quicker

I think without that experience up top that the burden has to be shared with two strikers, Dalby was great fail for another, Wreh is strong and can do a job in the hold up play, might be worth playing Mooney or Saddat alongside, I realise this is not ideal but I think it might be a decent option given current personel

Are we actually creating chances that just require someone to finish them?
A good striker will make himself available for passes that a poor striker wouldn't so it's hard to know how many chances we'd be creating with a fit strike force. He was crap at finishing but the reason Theo Robinson missed so many sitters was because his movement was excellent, which made it easy for our midfielders to feed him in.

I feel a lot of expectations are being placed upon Cardwell and Murphy.

By the time Murphy returns - assuming itā€™s September - he would have been sidelined for the best part of 9 months. Thatā€™s a long time out for someone in their thirties.

And as for Cardwell, Iā€™m not sure why it is, but he does seem a bit injury prone. Maybe itā€™s the transition to full-time football, maybe itā€™s because the level of football has improved or maybe itā€™s the physical nature of his role, but whatever it is, keeping him fit for a prolonged run in a settled team seems like a Herculean task. I make it 13 starts from a possible 23 last season.

Hopefully these two can bounce back. I rate them both and think they can play integral parts to our success. But we have to temper expectations.

As for Jake Hyde, itā€™s been 10-days since the injury, and the latest update was he was due for a scan before the Halifax game. Does it normally take that long for a player to have a scan? Unless Iā€™ve missed it - quite possible - it doesnā€™t even clarify whether this is a primary scan or a follow up.

Of the three mentioned, I think Hyde could be the most valuable, but with our injury luck it wouldnā€™t surprise me if all three of them had recurring injury spells for the remainder of the season.

Are we actually creating chances that just require someone to finish them?
I do think if we had a big lump asserting himself up top, heā€™d draw opposing defenders and thereby create much more space for Mooney, Powell, Bridge and co. They will certainly create chances aplenty. Powell also just needs some confidence in front of goal in front of the big crowds in the league matches. They will come, and when they do lots more will follow closely behind Iā€™m sure of it.

I still can't believe in almost two weeks we have had no news about jake Hyde. What the hell is going on ?!

Back