• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

tommy tucker

Manager
Gonna come through this revolving door .Or is it stuck in the exit position .I believe I read that Phil Brown wanted to bring players in nice and early .All I see is players going out through the door .But non coming in as yet .Now I understand building a squad takes time but year after year we get told something will happen and we leave it late and get left with the dross nobody eles wants .

Gonna come through this revolving door .Or is it stuck in the exit position .I believe I read that Phil Brown wanted to bring players in nice and early .All I see is players going out through the door .But non coming in as yet .Now I understand building a squad takes time but year after year we get told something will happen and we leave it late and get left with the dross nobody eles wants .

We seem to have had a decent couple of seasons with this so called 'dross'. Have patience tt, the season isn't over yet.

Hasn't this been debated and re-debated in numerous other threads? I'm naturally pessimistic when it comes to SUFC (stadium, finances, transfers etc) as it prevents me being disappointed, but the negativity on here at times is on a whole new level.

yes I know the season has not finished but other clubs are in the same boat and are still bringing players in all ready .

We signed Moussa in March. So technically we were surely one of the first to bring players in for next season.

I'm clearly being facetious but the season isn't finished yet. If other clubs are bringing in players bully for them, it'll be the players so desperate to earn a contract they'll take anything. Better players will take time to consider their options.

I should add that going by previous years (where we have tended to be alright in the end) you've probably got about another three weeks to wait until we sign someone so I'd find something else to worry about in the meantime if I were you.

Phil has spoken to 15 players this last week. Players are much more choosy, greedy, cautious these days. Then you have the agents. Most will see what clubs and offers come in. We won't be offering the worst terms, and nowhere near the best terms. So it's not easy. Phil has to really sell the club, himself as a Manager, and the ambition to these players to get them on board.

Phil has spoken to 15 players this last week. Players are much more choosy, greedy, cautious these days. Then you have the agents. Most will see what clubs and offers come in. We won't be offering the worst terms, and nowhere near the best terms. So it's not easy. Phil has to really sell the club, himself as a Manager, and the ambition to these players to get them on board.

I think i read somewhere that he has now spoken to over 30 players since the end of the season. Now obviously a majority of those wont sign, but you would expect maybe 3 or 4 of those plus whoever else he has lined up.

What i would say, is last summer he said that it was difficult to bring players in early due to the play off situ. He hasnt the excuse this year. You would hope that a number have already verbally agreed to join, its just a case of waiting until after the 1st of June when a lot of registrations end etc. Plus many will also be keeping their options open, in their shoes who wouldnt?

I think i read somewhere that he has now spoken to over 30 players since the end of the season. Now obviously a majority of those wont sign, but you would expect maybe 3 or 4 of those plus whoever else he has lined up.

What i would say, is last summer he said that it was difficult to bring players in early due to the play off situ. He hasnt the excuse this year. You would hope that a number have already verbally agreed to join, its just a case of waiting until after the 1st of June when a lot of registrations end etc. Plus many will also be keeping their options open, in their shoes who wouldnt?
Is that when they end? Thought it was 30th June which is why a lot of movement isn't announced till the start of July. Deegan's went through because his contract had been terminated by mutual request, which is why Shrewsbury could announce it. There will be plenty of players with pre-contract agreements but many won't be announced until their contracts are actually up.

Is that when they end? Thought it was 30th June which is why a lot of movement isn't announced till the start of July. Deegan's went through because his contract had been terminated by mutual request, which is why Shrewsbury could announce it. There will be plenty of players with pre-contract agreements but many won't be announced until their contracts are actually up.

Contracts run up until the end of June, with the transfer window opening on the 1st July.

Even those that we have released, will still receive their wages until the end of June.

We can agree to sign players, they can even sign contracts with us, but it doesn't officially go through until the 1st July. Even though the likes of Bolger & Deegan have "signed" elsewhere, they won't officially sign until the 1st July.

We get crap like this every year. The season hasn't finished and we're worrying that we haven't signed half a dozen players - would you like to pay their wages over the summer when we have zero matchday income? Has a premier side signed a player yet? I'd sooner have a few quality additions than a boatload of average ones - my worry from this season's experience is that we'll get the latter. However the manager has earned himself the chance to prove me wrong.

I for one am happy to wait .......... players from higher divisions are released later on in the process and as said above, the sort of players we are after will have multiple offers to consider.

And let's not forget that we have unearthed the odd bit of talent at trials in the last few seasons. Surely this is something worth continuing with?

Last season it was Bury that was being lauded as a magnificent, positive and dynamic club for all it's activity and signings ...... but in reality they ended up in mid-table just as we did.

I'm happy to wait and hopefully enjoy the aniticipation of watching the storming players that come in this summer for the coming campaign. However to be fair to those raising the point of the lack of activity at the moment, PB did make the point last season, whilst we were in the play offs, that it was hindering his plans, not knowing what division we would be playing in until later than other teams. Then made the point again that as we weren't in the position of uncertainty this time around he could act quicker, once our slim play off hopes had disappeared, or shortly after.

Unfortunately it is just a matter of waiting and seeing. If the earlier the signing of players meant a better season, then I'd be a bit more impatient, but if you look back at Shrewsbury last summer signed everything that moved and many were very early signings and they hardly set the division alight.

So as timing of signings seems to have no bearing on the season to come, but the quality of signings does, I hope PB takes the time he needs, but gets it right for all of us.

He also has to sell the club whilst dodging questions about winding up orders and possible congolese fruity drinks :unsure:

Just because no signings have been announced doesn't mean we are not further along the line with a few this year due to not being in the playoffs.

Let's be honest, if we was in the play offs again this year like we have been a few times in recent years, then we wouldn't be worried about not having brought anyone on in at all yet, we'd be focused on them. If the last week of June comes and goes and there still hasn't been any announcements. Then I'll worry a little.

Back