• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

When was Southend United's Golden Age?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Early Seventies for me personally just for the memories of being allowed to attend with my mates and watching 'spud' Taylor Bill Garner amonst others.

my heart will always say the webby era, but the truth is it was probably the tilly era, even under webb a crowd of 4k was considered good, and that included our first season in the 2nd tier, where as look at the way the profile and attendances exploded with tilly and freddy and i have to say the tilly era was the golden age, I go back to 81/82 for the record.

I personally liked the barry fry era. Powell and otto are still my two most favourite. The best defender and winger I have seen at roots hall.

Otto makes hall look a pub player and powell stayed too long and would have played much higher if he had left earlier. Felt such a surge of.pride when he got capped for england.

For me the late 60's.The era of Phil Chisnall,Eddie Clayton,Sammy MacMillan,Andy Smillie,Eddie Firmani,Tony Bentley,Graham Birks and Billy Best et al.

My favourite era as well :cricko:

Have voted never though as good periods are always outdone by long periods of ***** :thumbdown:

I personally liked the barry fry era. Powell and otto are still my two most favourite. The best defender and winger I have seen at roots hall.

Otto makes hall look a pub player and powell stayed too long and would have played much higher if he had left earlier. Felt such a surge of.pride when he got capped for england.

It felt like a Southend player playing for England. Simply one of nicest men in English football.

It felt like a Southend player playing for England. Simply one of nicest men in English football.

I have to echo that. One of my proudest moments and was wonderful to see him in an England shirt. Followed Collymore and Powell when they left Southend but that's about it. Powell cos he was such a loyal servant, a great player and a lovely chap, Collymore because he was just awesome

I guess the only people that can give a true worthy opinion are the ones who saw us during a few of these successful times.

I voted Tilson era only because it was the most successful time since i have been going regularly remembering games from the 95-96 season onwards.

Before then it was the odd game but i was young and didnt really remember the quality of football during the early 90's unfortunately.

Has to be Webby, first time we were promoted out of the 3rd division, 7 years in the 2nd tier and some of the best players I have/will probably ever see play for us. Although funnily enough I stopped going during that period in the 2nd division.

Webby & Fry era. No doubt whatsoever. That was sustained over a few seasons. Tilly's was great as well with plenty of good memories. QPR, Man U, Swansea away, 3 trips to Cardiff but for a 3rd tier club to break out and more than hold its own there's only one winner. Had Webby achieved that in the modern era I firmly believe we'd be a 2nd and 3rd tier yo yo club rather than a basement level underachiever.

I would say Webby normally - 1990/91 was amazing. But the huge shift in ability from the dark days of Little, Newman, Wignall to winning the League One title (something Webby never did), plus the 2 LDV finals (something Webby never did), and beating Man U, and drawing at Stamford Bridge, it's Tilly for me.

Webby & Fry era. No doubt whatsoever. That was sustained over a few seasons. Tilly's was great as well with plenty of good memories. QPR, Man U, Swansea away, 3 trips to Cardiff but for a 3rd tier club to break out and more than hold its own there's only one winner. Had Webby achieved that in the modern era I firmly believe we'd be a 2nd and 3rd tier yo yo club rather than a basement level underachiever.

Poor old Colin Murphy, forgotten by everyone.

Back