• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Massimo Giovanni

Old Timer⭐⭐
In the "good old days" we had the likes of Peter Butler, Paul Clark, Dave Martin, Super Roy, Andy Ansah, Ricki Otto, Spinner, Chris Powell etc etc.
These players had different styles and skills BUT what they had in common was entertainment and commitment with a noticeable presence where/when it mattered.
I am being a bit harsh BUT there appears to be few of these types around these days.
Certainly many of the current lads have similar or better professional skills BUT where is the other stuff that changes a player from simple good, hard working into a "legend".
For me maybe BBBC can attain that status; hopefully for better reasons that Big Roy or the throbbing vein of fury which was Gary Bennett.

Last edited:
Legends only become legends over time .... This current crop are relatively new to the club so havent got the 300 games under their belt like the players you mention above...
But how about Michael Timlin? He alledgedly said to Ben Clarkson at the time "i'm ok + that i will try to run off " that broken leg sustained at Orient in trying to get our club to our 1st ever Wembley final.... that to me is approaching legendary attitude + desire.

Legends only become legends over time .... This current crop are relatively new to the club so havent got the 300 games under their belt like the players you mention above...
But how about Michael Timlin? He alledgedly said to Ben Clarkson at the time "i'm ok + that i will try to run off " that broken leg sustained at Orient in trying to get our club to our 1st ever Wembley final.... that to me is approaching legendary attitude + desire.

Exactly what I said to Tone when I broke my leg over at Garon's

Football is a different world today. The gap between the leagues financially is so great now that players just want to play at the next level up, even for a season. At our level players don't earn much money and it's a short career so they have to look for the best deal. Hence they only stay for two years or so and move on. The one-club man is a very rare thing these days, it's all too money-orientated for that.

In the "good old days" we had the likes of Peter Butler, Paul Clark, Dave Martin, Super Roy, Andy Ansah, Ricki Otto, Spinner, Chris Powell etc etc.
These players had different styles and skills BUT what they had in common was entertainment and commitment with a noticeable presence where/when it mattered.
I am being a bit harsh BUT there appears to be few of these types around these days.
Certainly many of the current lads have similar or better professional skills BUT where is the other stuff that changes a player from simple good, hard working into a "legend".
For me maybe BBBC can attain that status; hopefully for better reasons that Big Roy or the throbbing vein of fury which was Gary Bennett.

Sadly I think it's just the way modern football is, I was I was around for the football in the 70's and 80's when players were down to earth, loyal and 'hard'. I hate watching premiership football now and am quickly losing my passion for following England home and abroad.

Player and staff turnover is high at every club as players come and go quickly nowadays - In a way, it is nice to have Prosser, Corr and Phillips who have been here a few seasons now. Timlin is another favourite, it surprises me the stick he gets sometimes (Even Clohessy mentioned it to a fan on there chat on the tube).

That said and back to the original topic - then to be fair, Freddy Eastwood is probably a bigger legend then any of the players that you mentioned. Although his second stint has not lived up to expectations (Yet!!!), what he achieved the first time round was nothing short of legendery. It annoys me that people seem to forget this - I will certainly have a very smug grin should he produce the goods this season, even if he never reaches half of his previous exploits.

Back