• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

WESTY_SUFC

A fantastic team performance. Full of guts, hard work, spot on tactics and a bit of quality too. I've been guilty myself for losing faith in the management and players but well done to all of them today. First time I've really enjoyed a game at home in ages. Please keep it up.

Don't underestimate Barrett's influence this week and credit to Brown for letting him speak his mind to the squad.

PB was very quiet today for the first 30 mins then back to his usual booming self, great work all round, mentality has certainly changed this week.

A fantastic team performance. Full of guts, hard work, spot on tactics and a bit of quality too. I've been guilty myself for losing faith in the management and players but well done to all of them today. First time I've really enjoyed a game at home in ages. Please keep it up.

Guess you have to ask the question, where was that performance last week, or at Port Vale or the other home games etc

as great as it was, got to fill frustrated that we have been so pathetic in other games. Let's hope we can build on this next week

This has raised the bar.

At least, every player out there should now give 100%. If they don't, they will be letting themselves down as well as us.

Could it be that Phill Brown had started to loose the dressing room and the players didn't want to play for him, so he had nothing to loose in letting the captain Adam Barrett voice his opinion to the players in last weeks dressing room with a few home truths and that now the players are playing for Adam Barrett and the club and not necessarily for the manager.

Just a thought.

Snr.

Could it be that Phill Brown had started to loose the dressing room and the players didn't want to play for him, so he had nothing to loose in letting the captain Adam Barrett voice his opinion to the players in last weeks dressing room with a few home truths and that now the players are playing for Adam Barrett and the club and not necessarily for the manager.

Just a thought.

Snr.

Maybe. But as long as they give 100% I'm not concerned who it's for.

I was just please to see some spirit and desire today. As much as I would,like us to win every game we all know that is not going to happen but, when we lose as long as show fight and determination and a belly full of fire then msuppose thatnisnthe best we can hope for.

I think the formation helped, it meant both full backs could get forward at the same time without leaving us exposed at the back so our wingers always had an option to pass to (in previous matches they usually had to try a speculative ball into the box because there was no one to help them on the wing, or we didn't even play wingers in the case of 5-3-2 which just meant the wing backs were isolated instead).

Worth noting we have played 5 of the top 8 teams thus far this season all ready, with a depleted squad......or am I just an optimist? :dim:

Giving 100% should be a given but we all know football doesn't always work that way, today was like watching a different team. If we play like that more often than not then we will be fine. Hopefully we can kick from here! UTB's!

The fact of the matter is that he has lost the dressing room and his players aren't happy with him at all. I am now 100% sure of that. Forget the "ooooh I know something you don't" jibes, but I know it. So today's performance has categorically not come from any sort of renewed backing for the manager from his squad and in my opinion, win or not, he still needs to go. I think he had very little if any effect on that today apart from team selection. What I think is obvious is that a big and positive crowd played a big role today, and the influence of Adam Barrett (whatever ORM and others think of his defending ability) cannot be underestimated.

The question is, will today's result and the environment it was achieved in (bigger crowd, biased referee causing siege mentality) be a one-off just like the Sheff Utd result (achieved in a unique and one-off 15 minute spell against a team frightened of its own shadow and suffering from a toxic home atmosphere)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are some interesting takes on the players' attitudes, has PB "lost" some or have they just been bottling it?
For PB to mention so positively Adam's vocal contribution and leadership is unusual as it comes from a man not keen on sharing the lime light and dispensing credit to a non public witnessed action.
PB's selection of team tells a story for me in that those that I perceived as "faint hearts" were put out there in a "play or fall" stage and they met the challenge.
On to the next challenge!
And what team do YOU select if Anton, Nile, WW etc are fit and available for Cobblers? stick or amend? when a team starts playing well and wins the injury list often shortens doesn't it?

Well done PB for getting the selection and the tactics right against a strong Milwall team. Well done to the team for performing with such commitment. Well done to AB for stoking the fire in their bellies. Such an inspiring performance can't help but boost confidence in the dressing room. PB's after match interview was gracious. If he had lost some of the players that should go a long way to winning them back. Bring on Northampton and Oxford.....

Just a thought.

Snr.

....and one born more out of hope than any semblance of reality..

PB gets things wrong, not the only manager to do so, but this he's lost the dressing room stuff is drivel. What I do see is PB having a lot of respect for Barrett and I think this is something we will see increasingly apparent (and not many supporters will be disappointed to see it)

To me it good this has happened at the beginning of the season when there is time to react...look at Barnsley last year.

Possibly our 3 most difficult games this season; Sheff U away, Bolton away and Scum Millwall home have produced decent results - why can't we dig deep against the teams we are expected to beat?

...typical Southend !

PB gets things wrong, not the only manager to do so, but this he's lost the dressing room stuff is drivel.

No it's not. It's only "drivel" to you because you haven't heard it first hand. Do you really think it's just some big, huge coincidence that several people have come out and said they've been told the same thing? Or that several people are just going to make up the same rumour for the hell of it? Pull the other one. There is no smoke without fire and rumours of him losing the elements of the dressing room are not false.

Yesterday did not prove that Brown hasn't lost the dressing room. At all. What it did prove is that those players ARE League 1 standard; that they do have fight and passion if the right person (someone they respect) is saying the right things to them; and that if Phil Brown is going to stay in his job then he will NEED Adam Barrett. That's why he's come out and praised Barrett and given him equal if not more credit, against his instincts. He knows he needs to keep AB onside and he knows it will look good to his squad if he acknowledges Barrett's contribution in the dressing room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've been thinking for a while how dressing rooms work in football. I always thought that it was what the manager says goes. However, recently I started to wonder when things aren't going well, can players actually suggest ideas and changes to the manager. I think now that definitely happens.

Yesterday was like watching a different team. The hope of course now is that we keep it going. Of course repeating a good performance isn't always easy.

Many managers praise their captains, not saying that a few home truths weren't said last week by AB but did he set up the team and work on the tactics and make the subs during the game?

Something I thought was telling, was after half time when the players came out onto the pitch, Barrett called the players into a huddle. There seemed to be a real togetherness there. Baring in mind it was 1-1, we have crumbled in other games when a team has scored. The half time team talk and the huddle obviously galvanised the team. Well done all round.

There are some interesting takes on the players' attitudes, has PB "lost" some or have they just been bottling it?
For PB to mention so positively Adam's vocal contribution and leadership is unusual as it comes from a man not keen on sharing the lime light and dispensing credit to a non public witnessed action.
PB's selection of team tells a story for me in that those that I perceived as "faint hearts" were put out there in a "play or fall" stage and they met the challenge.
On to the next challenge!
And what team do YOU select if Anton, Nile, WW etc are fit and available for Cobblers? stick or amend? when a team starts playing well and wins the injury list often shortens doesn't it?

Indeed - and we have Cox on the bench as well.

One of the things I have disliked over the last few seasons is that we have such an unsettled team - constant changes either forced on us by injury and suspension or Brown brings in a loan player. Even when the team changes because the formation is changing Brown still changes the 11 players for that specific formation.

None of us know who is going to be playing in the next game - and there are more options as to what our best first XI is than there are pizza options on a take-away menu.

Back