• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

After seeing a thread I am still very much in the camp of not being Ron Martins biggest fan but where do you think we would be had he stepped down and let the Consortium take over?

Would Tilly still be in charge?
Would we be top of the league?
Would we have ever got Sturrock?
Would we have anywhere near the quality squad we currently have?

Obviously theres no way of ever knowing but I will admit that without Ron getting Sturrock in I doubt we would be anywhere near the top of the league now and maybe may have gone out of the football league last season had he not managed to get a squad to play for Southend.

Almost impossible to say. Things may have turned around sooner, or we could be in a worse state than ever. Problem with consortiums full of succesful businessmen is they all tend to want their own way. Thats why they're succesful. They don't neccesarily make good partners though, and could easily have all fallen out by now!

Also, smaller clubs like ours are always on a rollercoaster of a few good years followed by a few bad ones, no matter who's in charge. Its the same for most small clubs. When you consider the likes of Stockport, Grimsby and Luton were also in the Championship not that long ago, and are now entrenched in the BSP, we could have been an awful lot worse off than we are. Ron is no saint but he somehow steered the SUFC ship the through the last couple of years & things seem to be on the up again, so personally I'm glad consortium didn't take over.

Where do you think we would be today had the consortium took over from Ron?

No idea and all very hypothetical; am more concerned at your "football speak" style of miss use of the correct tense..lol
(can always tell when we are doing well as we struggle for much of any relevance to debate!)

I think we'd be in the Premiership, with 10,000 average attendance.

I agree. They would of found the Freddy money under Ron's toupe, used it to build a 64 Million dollar man-esque keeper and Bartflav would of been unbeatable, conceding 1 goal in 756 games.

Back