• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Where has english football gone wrong

brigg blue

Newbie⭐
Last weekend I was in Germany with work and me and a couple of colleagues went to the Borussia monchengladbach vs Stuttgart match.

A ticket for this top flight match was €14.50. We were allowed (encouraged) to have a few beers whilst watching from the terrace and the atmosphere was relaxed, friendly and generally fantastic.

Why can't English football be like that? We pay more to watch football 5 tiers lower and can't be trusted to have a beer, in fact the whole setup encourages binging before and during half time. Is it just pure greed now?

Was at Nürnberg today,won 4-0.Seat season ticket cost 299 euros,but i can travel free to and from the game.About 100 miles return.
Also got a season ticket for Fürth,dont tell the wife,but the standing ticket(old school,no safe standing) costs 190 euros.Again travel is free.Only saw two games there this season so far first game and Bayern München game.But will see afew more this season.
Its very sad that you can see a Bundesliga game live cheaper than you can see the BLUES.

Unfortunately also a British mentality we take on holiday with us as well.

The way lot's of people behaved during Covid underlined that, it's as though the attitude is "we're British we are better than everyone else and we can do what we like"

Somewhere our whole culture has gone wrong in my opinion and why we can't be trusted to go to the bar while the game is going on.

Can't explain the prices at lower league level that is fantastic value in Germany

So very true.But we do have that silent majority that IS becoming ever more silent...

The thing is that German clubs are mostly 51% owned by the fans and run for the fans benefit.

Where as English clubs are mostly now owned by greedy, corrupt, money grabbing crooks, or multi billionaire franchises backed by dubious countries with major human rights issues.

Or take over clubs by leveraged takeovers, not putting any money themselves that results in the clubs debt increasing dramatically as they have to borrow money to buy themselves and then have to pay the interest.

Then we have the asset strippers who buy clubs with good training grounds, stadiums, and land, and strip all of it away for themselves leaving the club with no assets and having to now pay exorbitant rent.

How the UK football authorities allow this sort of thing to happen is beyond me.

They could not careless about the fans, it is all about the global money TV rights can generate.

100% true Big Daddy...so back to the beginning,whos fault...ours...so sadly

Summed it up for me when the Prem' bloke failed to call it "football", "sport" or "match", but "product".

All of the above are the same reason why you can go to a bar in France, Germany, Spain etc and have a relaxing evening without the risk of thuggery.

Even in Old Leigh now, there are regular fights and stabbings. It has just gotten worse over time.

said it before will say it again let the premiershite go its own way and all those clubs that want to join it, The EFL should go its own way starting with div one downwards to the VNL, Do not allow the Premiershite clubs to participate in either the FA or League cups .

All of the above are the same reason why you can go to a bar in France, Germany, Spain etc and have a relaxing evening without the risk of thuggery.

Even in Old Leigh now, there are regular fights and stabbings. It has just gotten worse over time.
So true and so sad ?

Indeed. I think alcohol was banned because of Heysel and Hillsborough as it was mentioned in the Taylor report. I would imagine if people in this country ever prove they can be trusted with alcohol at football then it will be allowed again.

I went to the England vs Wales game at Twickenham the last time the rugby union world cup was held in England. I was sitting surrounded by England and Wales supporters, all of whom were drinking at their seats like there's no tomorrow. There was some banter, but not one heated exchange, let alone punch thrown.

This was also a world cup match where England were winning at half time and went on to lose. If this was a football match all hell would have broken loose.

"I would imagine if people in this country ever prove they can be trusted with alcohol ..." is possibly more the case.

"I would imagine if people in this country ever prove they can be trusted with alcohol ..." is possibly more the case.
But as londonblue says, it’s very rarely an issue at rugby union games. I have been in a pub in Wales and a pub in Scotland with an England shirt on watching England beat those nations, heavily outnumbered. Just good natured banter. Not sure why that is.

The thing is that German clubs are mostly 51% owned by the fans and run for the fans benefit.

Where as English clubs are mostly now owned by greedy, corrupt, money grabbing crooks, or multi billionaire franchises backed by dubious countries with major human rights issues.

Or take over clubs by leveraged takeovers, not putting any money themselves that results in the clubs debt increasing dramatically as they have to borrow money to buy themselves and then have to pay the interest.

Then we have the asset strippers who buy clubs with good training grounds, stadiums, and land, and strip all of it away for themselves leaving the club with no assets and having to now pay exorbitant rent.

How the UK football authorities allow this sort of thing to happen is beyond me.

They could not careless about the fans, it is all about the global money TV rights can generate.
Like the way you highlight the way things have gone!! Will it have to change for the better soon?

On MAY 10TH it is Queens speech day and in just 4 weeks time could be memorable as it looks highly likely that the fans led review of football, produced by ex Sports Minister Tracey Crouch, will be written into the list of laws the Government wants to enact in the next Parliamentary session.

Strongly opposed by most of the Premiership and EFL , the bill could include for the first time, at last, a law to bring about an INDEPENDENT regulator of football, who would oversee financial regulation in Football

New Owners and Director tests to ensure only good owners and Directors can run these vital assets. Greater voice of supporters to be heard via Shadow boards

All licensed clubs to adopt the Golden share concept, where clubs heritage is protected, Supporter consent needed for the sale of a stadium?,and its ownership, relocation, club badge, club colours and name, given to clubs TRUSTS
The Independent Regulator could determine how finances are distributed between the leagues

Be interesting to see if this is to be a new Bill , how far it actually goes in detail and follow it through the legislative processes?

I remember sitting in a pub in Surfers Paradise surrounded by Kiwis watching Australia v the all blacks in a world cup final rugby union match, im sure it was the final or Semi final, a lot of banter between us but all friendly, Australia won that game and the Kiwis and myself had a great day ,they took defeat well

Sorry the point im trying to make is why cant it be like that when attending a match in person ,its not just the alcohol to blame ,its like someone saying :This is my family ,my territory: if you get my drift.

I remember sitting in a pub in Surfers Paradise surrounded by Kiwis watching Australia v the all blacks in a world cup final rugby union match, im sure it was the final or Semi final, a lot of banter between us but all friendly, Australia won that game and the Kiwis and myself had a great day ,they took defeat well

When I was in Surfers (certainly not Paradise) in 1993, I left the far to crowded bars as it was obvious it was going to kick off between the Kiwis and Auzies. The Auzies in particular were absolute bullies when in large groups and would even target couples. Us Poms were certainly on the hit list.

On the local news next morning there had been 140 arrests and doorman thrown through through the windows of the very club I had been in. I headed further north that day for sailing, diving and rafting etc..... I won't ever be going back to Surfers and Brisbane wasn't for me, even though one of my step sisters loves her life out there.

Back