• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

yeh i thought that the other day when his name was mentioned, totally forgot all about him, shame he hasnt had much of a chance as he is alot better than some getting a game recently.

Soares for one.

And I thought we were criticising PS for putting square pegs into circle holes?

If Spencer were to play on the right, Clohessy would be ripe for the taking. He might be one of the more impressive acquisitions, but he's not good enough to single-handedly hold down the right flank.

And I thought we were criticising PS for putting square pegs into circle holes?

If Spencer were to play on the right, Clohessy would be ripe for the taking. He might be one of the more impressive acquisitions, but he's not good enough to single-handedly hold down the right flank.

I'm not saying Spencer should play right midfield. Merely that he is a better player than Soares. Hall is also a better player than Soares. I would also expect Spencer to make more of an impression than Crawford and certainly prior to Midson's two goals out of nowhere, I would have picked Spencer ahead of him. Whilst on the subject of loan players German, Jarvis and Fairhurst did little that Spencer couldn't have emulated. No, I still think Sturrock is not being even-handed in his approach to the players at his disposal.

I'm not saying Spencer should play right midfield. Merely that he is a better player than Soares. Hall is also a better player than Soares. I would also expect Spencer to make more of an impression than Crawford and certainly prior to Midson's two goals out of nowhere, I would have picked Spencer ahead of him. Whilst on the subject of loan players German, Jarvis and Fairhurst did little that Spencer couldn't have emulated. No, I still think Sturrock is not being even-handed in his approach to the players at his disposal.

That's something of a moot point, though, as we're only ever going to play one or two strikers (depending on whichever system PS deploys, it certainly won't involve three forwards), so Spencer has to prove his worth ahead of the likes of Corr and Sturrock, who have pretty much cemented themselves as the best strike partnership at the club. German, Jarvis and Fairhurst all came to the club with steady reputations of potential, yet failed to live up to that and were, quite rightly, sent back to their respective clubs. Crawford's looked eager when he's been on the pitch and his willingness to go out on loan initially can't have harmed his chances under Sturrock at all.

I'll agree with you on Midson though... I've yet to see anything from him to warrant his inclusion in the squad, yet I wasn't at the Cheltenham game and deserves to keep his place after his two goals.

good post, hope eaststand blue takes notice.

Could he be given a chance now that Widdrington is gone, I remember reading posts on here saying that Widdrington didn't like Herd or Spencer (probably rubbish like most of the rumours on SZ but you never know)

Could he be given a chance now that Widdrington is gone, I remember reading posts on here saying that Widdrington didn't like Herd or Spencer (probably rubbish like most of the rumours on SZ but you never know)

Sturrock is the boss and would have had the final say shurley?

Sturrock is the boss and would have had the final say shurley?

True, but stop calling me Shirley. You certainly get 100% effort with Spencer which is more than you can say about some of those warming the bench. However, we are not seeing these players in training and nor are we aware (despite what some may claim) of their attitude to the team's cause, the club in general or the other players. The loan players haven't worked out but that is common enough - they were certainly worth a punt at this level. Sturrock seems to focus on team shape above all other issues and may not feel that this is one of Spencer's strengths.

According to the latest Captain's Blog, Screech was a Ninja Turtle at the Christmas Fancy Dress do at the weekend, so he's still about.

Came out of the tunnel just before the Burton game and walked round to the Southend fans virtually unnoticed. Posed for a couple of photos with fans with what looked like the official Southend United photographer. Walked back past the seated Southend fans including myself and back down the tunnel. Felt sorry for him, did not get a clap, cheer or any real acknowledgement, having said that did not recognise him at first now his hair getting back to the short curly locks of last season.

Back