• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Where is the bottom?

Bottom is us playing Billericay in the National League in 2 years time...

We are in free fall without a parachute

I cannot even contemplate how we can turn it around.

I blame Ron Martin 100% - terrible chairman, terrible business man, just terrible! He has to call it a day before we become the next Bury.
Anyone know someone who wants to spend millions supporting a team full of non caring or competing players on six figure salaries?

Listen, if we go down, then it gives the Trust the chance of a great sponsored walk fund raiser to Orient where we know Danny Macklin will welcome the walkers well, having taken part in one previously. There - that's one bright spark to look forward to!

I was feeling more optimistic today, thinking Sol has had more time to work with the players and perhaps we had reached a turning point but it really was terrible. Earlier in the season there were games where we didn't get a result but played ok in parts and might have got something but today surely must be as bad as it can get. Been supporting for over 50 years but it has never been this awful for this long - even some of the worst teams were able to scrape a home win now and again.

there does seem to be a lot of overreaction going on in the zone today, whilst we are crap at the moment a lot of our worst performers are out of contract at the end of the season so we can rebuild in L2 building around our youngsters that have come in and done well over the last couple of seasons.

yes we are going to get relegated and yes it sucks but we aren't in freefall, there does seem to be enough money to (just) keep things ticking along for now, with the high earners going at the end of the season we also won't be stuck overpaying players in L2. I don't think we will go into freefall we might not come up at the first time of trying but I'm actually looking forward to a rebuilt team next season from essentially a clean slate, this team needs some identity and it hasn't had that since PB left, all the other managers have just fiddled around with his nucleus.

Listen, if we go down, then it gives the Trust the chance of a great sponsored walk fund raiser to Orient where we know Danny Macklin will welcome the walkers well, having taken part in one previously. There - that's one bright spark to look forward to!
Did that kind offer of £250 from Steve evans materialise from the Gills walk?

Our most successful periods in the club's history started out in Division 4 under Webby and Tilly.

The key is getting the right side together and the right manager. Not saying Sol isn't the right fit, of course. He will need to get the squad together that works for him, though, which will take a bit of time.

In a way, this is now a free season to develop things, without the pressure of needing to get results.

Did that kind offer of £250 from Steve evans materialise from the Gills walk?

Not last I heard, I believe Paul Fitz mentioned this in our most recent newsletter out to members. Believe me when I say we won't let it go!

I was feeling more optimistic today, thinking Sol has had more time to work with the players and perhaps we had reached a turning point but it really was terrible. Earlier in the season there were games where we didn't get a result but played ok in parts and might have got something but today surely must be as bad as it can get. Been supporting for over 50 years but it has never been this awful for this long - even some of the worst teams were able to scrape a home win now and again.

I’ve been to every game and this was by far the worst.

Oxford had done their homework and knew we would commit suicide if they pressed us from the start.

I dislike Milligan and Kiernan as much as the next man but this one was totally down to Sol and his ridiculous tactics.

I’ve been to every game and this was by far the worst.

Oxford had done their homework and knew we would commit suicide if they pressed us from the start.

I dislike Milligan and Kiernan as much as the next man but this one was totally down to Sol and his ridiculous tactics.

Really? I doubt Sol's tactics had any type of "pass to their forwards and concede early goals" in his pre match talk. Likely to be more "keep the ball" and play out from back - which is a tall order for our lot but they didn't half make a crock of it pdq didn't they.
Sol changed it, we got better, small lessons being learnt maybe?
With such limited players anything is hard at the moment.

Just in case you’ve forgotten, Sol’s ridiculous tactics have been killing us since he joined.

Just in case you’ve forgotten, Sol’s ridiculous tactics have been killing us since he joined.
We were dead before he joined. And we arent shipping nearly as many goals. And are playing with a bit of heart.

Give sol liverpools midfield and forward line and we wouldnt be using these defensive tactics.

But that said. Id like to see him play with 2 strikers, at this point what harm could it do.

And back on topic. The bottom for me would be relegation from league 2. Roots hall being demolished for flats and ground sharing with colchester.

Rock bottom, that was watching tango Phil losing the dressing room then losing control of who decided to give up on match day and being able to change matters.
Rock bottom was seeing Chris Powell a broken man, absolutely soul destroyed by having all those injuries. Rock bottom was seeing those injuries come back to fitness and still losing almost every game under Harry Redknapps mate.
Rock bottom was watching Ron still on holiday when the club urgently needing a decent manager, then declaring to take his time and no knee-jerk decisions in his appointment of a new face to run things.
Rock bottom was watching all this knowing we, SUFC, were collapsing.
I've felt at rock bottom for quite a while now. More so than when Barry Fry left, another monumental collapse.
Can it get worse ? Not really, lets face it how many of us would be suprised if we went to the wall? Embargo's, Roots Hall staff going unpaid at Xmas.
Great innit, its never ever boring at Southend Utd.

Bottom is us playing Billericay in the National League in 2 years time...

We are in free fall without a parachute

I cannot even contemplate how we can turn it around.

I blame Ron Martin 100% - terrible chairman, terrible business man, just terrible! He has to call it a day before we become the next Bury.

But he's not going to, is he? If he calls it a day, that's when we actually become the next Bury!

We were getting thrashed every game and now we are at least competitive picking up the odd point or only losing by 1 or 2 goals. This obviously isn't success but given that we have lost senior players and brought nobody in I don't think the blame should be put on Sol's doorstep

I would say Chesterfield & Stockport are a good examples of how bad it could get. Both clubs of a similar size and stature to ourselves, similar sized fan bases, similar histories of mainly 4th & 3rd tier with the odd brief visit to the 2nd tier, and both suddenly went from comfortable if not upper L1 level into free-fall. Chesterfield still currently in the NL relegation zone, Stockport finally showing some signs of recovery back in the NL after a few years in the NL-North. Next season is massive, possibly the most important in our history.

Back