• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Where to take Mrs DtS for her suprise birthday treat.

Options.

• Valencia - Not been there

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
Hello,

Just starting to plan ahead to Mrs DtS's birthday in November. I have decided to treat Mrs DtS to a weekend away. The grandparents have agreed to baby sit which is excellent so all I have got to do now is find somewhere to go.

Being the tight ******* I am I am looking at taking her on a no-expenses paid trip on one of the cheapo airlines (Ryanair, Sleazyjet) etc. As a result I am restricted to flying into the cheapo destinantions.

Now normally you get a load the choice of Chernonbyl, Kabul or some obscure airport called Barcelona which is infact in Poland.

However somehow I have managed to find a shortlist of the following places.

* Vienna
* Valencia
* Budapest

All of the above seem like a good choice for a weekender. Was wondering if anyone has been to any of the above three and can give me a honest opinion.

All Mrs DtS wants is nice places to eat, some historic scenery and plenty of walking.

Personally I am looking for some sort of obscure football match that I can go to - but this is kind of a secondary I guess.

Any thoughts or comments welcomed.

Fly to limoges and i will get you a gite cheap,relax,shag,eat,drink and enjoy the slow pace of life and even take in a berrichonne game.

Never been to Vienna, but somewhere i'd be interested in going. They have a recreation of the canals and gondolas at the Venetian Hotel in las vegas and that looked brilliant, so i would imagine the real vienna must be good

Never been to Vienna, but somewhere i'd be interested in going. They have a recreation of the canals and gondolas at the Venetian Hotel in las vegas and that looked brilliant, so i would imagine the real vienna must be good

Er, Vienna is in Austria, while VENICE is in Italy where the gondolas are.

Geography not your strong point mate?

Back on topic, I'd fancy Budapest out of those three.

Er, Vienna is in Austria, while VENICE is in Italy where the gondolas are.

Geography not your strong point mate?

Back on topic, I'd fancy Budapest out of those three.

what a **** lol :) proper not with it this morning

I've been to Vienna (and Venice!) many many years ago and it was/is a beautiful city and if Mrs DtS is looking for scenery/walking there's the Danube right smack in the middle of the city for riverside walks. Also there's St. Stephen's (or the Austrian translation!) Cathedral which gives cracking views over the city after a good old climb up the steps! The food was lavish - lots of gorgeous pastries - and there was a quaint but charming politeness about the shop-keepers, but I'm going back to the eighties so this may be just history now. A little treat for me, being a big fan of 'The Third Man,' was going out to the 'Reisenrad' fun fair to remember Harry Lime/Orson Welles' lines about humanity looking out from 'The Big Wheel.' Also, trams - I love 'em! Lots of them about. With luck, Rapid Vienna will be at home as well. Happy honeymoon as well mate, wherever you may be...

Krackow is a wonderful city and should be within budget. Might be worth a look.

If you're gonna suprise her with a weekend away, she'll expect it to be to somewhere romantic, so really suprise her by taking her to the Travelodge at Bognor Regis, and treat her to a KFC. Remind her of the credit crunch, and tell her its the thought that counts.

I've been to Vienna, and it's a great city. However can't compare it to the others on the list cos I've not been to them.

I went to Valencia last summer, its a nice city, but not quite what I was expecting.

If you visit Vienna, well worth going to Bratislava for the day, which is only a short train ride away, or you can go by boat. Eating out etc can be pricey in Austria espcially in tourist hotspots.

Budapest isn't as 'touristy' as say Prague etc, also food and drink etc is cheap here compared to countrys in the Euro.

As mentioned, Krakow is well worth a look as is Prague, both of these dont use the Euro so eating out etc is very reasonable and lots to see and do.

Back in March I went to Prague, I got 3 nights in a 3* hotel inc breakfast, also easyjet flights from Gatwick and a 3 day pass to use on the metro and trams there, all for £130 per person, not bad ;)

Wherever you go, have a great time :)

DTS i've been to all 3 in the past 10 years

Went to Budapest in June, gotta say very impressed and would go back in a few years. Its about 4 times bigger than prague and much classier. We stayed near the Opera House, it wasn't expensive. Food and drink was cheaper than the UK, other products generally the same. Market is worth visiting and the Gellert Hotel has excellent baths. Took a trip down the Danube and also visited Heroes Square. I would recommend it.

I've also been to Vienna which i thought was brilliant, this was about 8-9 years ago, went with my Mum and Dad and we did mostly sight seeing. Its very historical, some decent restaurants.

As for Valencia i went there about 3 years ago as i was staying just outside Alicante at a friends place. I had this brain wave about going there, especially when i found out out the America's Cup was going there (**** knows why i have no interest in sailing). Anyway cutting a boring story short, its a **** hole i wouldn't go back. Its bland as hell, the food was crap and the shops were average.

Verdict - Go to Budapest!

Yeah I'd say Budapest mate, nice combination of romantic and lively.

Have you thought about Rome.

We got a really good deal from easyjet (think it was £30 return)

Rome is a lovely city

Back