• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Welly7

Coach
Now Bentley has surpassed Mervyn Cawston's excellent clean sheet record from 80/81, where do/will people rate him amongst our other great custodians?

I'm a fan of stats, longevity, performances & achievements when it comes to debating my best ever team and with that in mind does (or will) Bentley be considered favourably against the likes of Flahavan, Royce & Sammy? (only 5 when I saw Cawston play so obviously can't include him!)

Does young Daniel deserve to mentioned along with the likes of those GKS and could he surpass them all and be possibly considered to be our best ever?

He will be up there, but for him to be called the best then he will have to do it at Championship/League 1 level. Sadly I don't think he will be given the chance unless we get promotion this season.

He will be up there, but for him to be called the best then he will have to do it at Championship/League 1 level. Sadly I don't think he will be given the chance unless we get promotion this season.

I hope he stays whatever league we're in next year as I fail to see the rush for him to go at his young age (other than money, obviously!)
Ultimately though, I think you're right and the fact he probably won't get a chance to do it for us at league one/championship level will leave him behind a couple IMO.

From my time watching The Blues, Royce is the keeper who achieved the highest playing position by playing in the premiership. Have a massive affection for for Sammy but I think Bentley could go on to eclipse them both

One of the most important attributes for Bentley is that he keeps his concentration. He's regularly played games where he's had nothing (or next to nothing) to do and still pulled off great saves when necessary. Away at Dagenham this year would be a prime example.

I can see a top team coming in for him if we don't go up.

Merv has always been my favourite keeper, if Dan can continue developing then who knows where he could end up?

Have watched most of our no 1 from harry Threadgold, to Bentley. Some were shot stoppers, others were good at crosses, some commanded there areas, some were useless. Bentley, like most of you have said, he will I think prove himself to be the best keeper we have had, but with another club.

Will be a Southend legend forever for sure. Sadly I think he will be on his way at the end of the season he is way to good for the lower leagues. Whatever happens he will always be our keeper. A local lad who came through the ranks and became a great goalkeeper

Now Bentley has surpassed Mervyn Cawston's excellent clean sheet record from 80/81, where do/will people rate him amongst our other great custodians?

I'm a fan of stats, longevity, performances & achievements when it comes to debating my best ever team and with that in mind does (or will) Bentley be considered favourably against the likes of Flahavan, Royce & Sammy? (only 5 when I saw Cawston play so obviously can't include him!)

Does young Daniel deserve to mentioned along with the likes of those GKS and could he surpass them all and be possibly considered to be our best ever?

at this moment in time he is not in the same league as he 3 keepers you have mentioned IMO. Does he have the potential to go on to me 'southend Greats' ---- definitely, but will we have him around long enough , probably not. Sammy and Flahaven played three times as many games, and Royce 50 % more than Bentley and all three played at a higher level for us. Interestingly Paul Smith kept 24 clean sheets (maybe 25 depending on which Wikipedia page you believe)for Forest in one season in league one.

I think Mervyn Cawston in 80/81 was a lot better than DB now but Merv was 29 and far more experienced. Merv for me is still the best keeper we have had in my time but DB is young enough and possesses the potential to surpass Merv. Potential is not always lived up to though.

Below Sammy, Royce, flavs for me at the moment...A promotion and playing at a higher level needed to get amongst that lot...Cawston just before my time but my old man rates him greatest of all time

At the end of the day Bentley will be judged by me on what success he brought to the club.

Back