• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Im going to get slated for this but relegation this season ! Overall squad is weak, unless 2 or 3 reasonable signings are had its only going to end in tears this season !:'(

I think we've got some great players at this level. Cox, Leonard, Coker , Demetriou, Wordsworth , Timlin. Problem is the squad is small and we've got a few injuries already . Honestly can't see Brown surviving the season as I'm sure he'll hop off elsewhere ASAP. We'd be lucky to go much beyond mid table unless we were very lucky with injuries or we sign 4 or 5 players really quickly.

Im going to get slated for this but relegation this season ! Overall squad is weak, unless 2 or 3 reasonable signings are had its only going to end in tears this season !:'(

That's the attitude!... aren't you just a little ray of Southend sunshine before the 1st ball of the season has even been kicked.

I like to think that most people on here would agree that our squad is on par with what we had last season, if not marginally better than we had last season. and more so, if bring in another 3-4 more options before August 6th.

Anyway, taking your comments and your personal belief's on board (nothing wrong with that, everyone has one)...

I have a question though..

If you honestly believe we will be relegated from league one next season, i'm genuinely intrigued as to the which of the other 3-4 teams in this league that you think are weaker than us??

Please do tell....

I like to think that most people on here would agree that our squad is on par with what we had last season, if not marginally better than we had last season. and more so, if bring in another 3-4 more options before August 6th.

Possibly but we are missing one vital element that we had in spades at the start of last season: momentum. It deserted us after Christmas and it was relegation form from then on.

Possibly but we are missing one vital element that we had in spades at the start of last season: momentum. It deserted us after Christmas and it was relegation form from then on.
In the second half of last season, 23 games, we got 5 wins and 3 draws, with 15 defeats. Double that over the season and it'd be 36 points, only 2 points better than Crewe who were bottom and 4 worse off than the bloody shambles that was (and still is) Colchester.

That is a fact, however...

So what are you saying manor? we cant improve on that?

I always said my ideal expectation would be 9th, but as long as we finish 13th or above, it would be progress on our previous season.

Jeeeeesss.... why are so many Shrimperzone fans & genuine supporter's are so down hearted about a new SUFC squad??.

I honestly think Phil has done a good job in bringing in strikers & attacking midfield player's.

I must admit Oxley does give me some concerns, but I think we are stronger in the attacking outfield, then we were last season.

Mooney who disappointed last season looks sharp and confident and we all know what a player he could be if he finds the type of form he showed at Orient

He has already shown you the form he generally produced at Orient.

FWIW, I think there will be four worse sides in League One, but not many more than that.

A ball hadn't been kicked yet. If you go back over the years pre season friendliest prove nothing. Therefore there is an opportunity to be optimistic. Playoffs here we come :smile:

I always said my ideal expectation would be 9th, but as long as we finish 13th or above, it would be progress on our previous season.

Jeeeeesss.... why are so many Shrimperzone fans & genuine supporter's are so down hearted about a new SUFC squad??.

I honestly think Phil has done a good job in bringing in strikers & attacking midfield player's.

I must admit Oxley does give me some concerns, but I think we are stronger in the attacking outfield, then we were last season.
Not at all, I think we will improve. I'm predicting midtable, top half with a bit of luck with injuries and another good signing or two. But for me it's vital that we get off to a reasonable start and don't let that form continue into the start of this season.

I'm not entirely convinced by Oxley either but have only seen him play 90 minutes so reserving judgement, another striker and another attacking midfielder or winger and another centre back and I'll be happy.

Jeeeeesss.... why are so many Shrimperzone fans & genuine supporter's are so down hearted about a new SUFC squad??

Well if it offends you that some people don't think we're going to do as well as you do, then why read a thread like this? All about opinions. I am a pessimist by nature but I think on this occasion my pessimism is pretty justified. Our manager has his head elsewhere and this is largely the same squad (minus a few bodies) than failed so miserably at the back end of last season.

Why people think we're suddenly going to completely turn that round I'd be interested to hear.

Well if it offends you that some people don't think we're going to do as well as you do, then why read a thread like this? All about opinions. I am a pessimist by nature but I think on this occasion my pessimism is pretty justified. Our manager has his head elsewhere and this is largely the same squad (minus a few bodies) than failed so miserably at the back end of last season.

Why people think we're suddenly going to completely turn that round I'd be interested to hear.

The truth is we don't have a clue where we will finish, nor will we until we have finished bringing in new boys, played a few proper competitive games and have an idea of what our first 11 looks like, good/bad form and all. Bring it on, another season in the Roots Hall mad house. I love it!

That same squad showed us that they are not relegation fodder. Can't judge a season on the last five games.

Plenty of people want youth or non league half starved players to be given a chance and as soon as we try out a Ted Smith or a Jack Bridge suddenly the result is the be all and end all.

We didn't play bad at home to Oldham (Worrall's 2 missed chances, Barnett's header) or Bradford and we certainly deserved something at Bury.

The last time we went up from this division we had a pretty moderate team but an exceptional goalscorer and an in form keeper. Mooney/Cox/Ranger will get the goals we've lacked in the last couple of seasons and if Oxley/Smith step up to the plate as replacement for Bentley then we'll do well. Play off place.:thumbsup:

That same squad showed us that they are not relegation fodder. Can't judge a season on the last five games.

Plenty of people want youth or non league half starved players to be given a chance and as soon as we try out a Ted Smith or a Jack Bridge suddenly the result is the be all and end all.

We didn't play bad at home to Oldham (Worrall's 2 missed chances, Barnett's header) or Bradford and we certainly deserved something at Bury.

Last five games maybe not. But our form since January was relegation form. The last five games were just particularly bad.

I think we may well start slowly, our first choice team haven't played much together and I think they'll take a little time to gel properly. However, I think we'll be there or thereabouts - Play Offs, or just missing out for me.

That's the attitude!... aren't you just a little ray of Southend sunshine before the 1st ball of the season has even been kicked.

Anyway, taking your comments and your personal belief's on board (nothing wrong with that, everyone has one)...

I have a question though..

If you honestly believe we will be relegated from league one next season, i'm genuinely intrigued as to the which of the other 3-4 teams in this league that you think are weaker than us??

Please do tell....

Sorry for the delay, been away ! The only quality signing that we made was cox, but we desperately need more as we have many long term potential injuries to our more creative midfield players. Hope we don't go down but not seen too many positives in pre season signing of players. As to your request who is likely to potentially go down, ive got Oldham, Wimbledon and Fleetwood. Any thoughts on my selections ?

Sorry for the delay, been away ! The only quality signing that we made was cox, but we desperately need more as we have many long term potential injuries to our more creative midfield players. Hope we don't go down but not seen too many positives in pre season signing of players. As to your request who is likely to potentially go down, ive got Oldham, Wimbledon and Fleetwood. Any thoughts on my selections ?

What about Demetriou? Possibly the best right wing back in the league

Back