• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Which 4 gaffes sent us down?

Sleaford Shrimper

Grumpy Old Man
Looking at the final League 1 table, if we had managed to turn just 4 of our 13 drawn matches into wins we would have had 51 points and stayed up.

From your memories of those 13 drawn matches, can you identify our 4 worst missed goalscoring opportunities or our 4 worst defensive mistakes that led to opposition goals in any of those drawn matches?

Barnard's penalty miss against Leeds
Barrett kicking a sand castle
Grant's last minute O.G
Mildenhall jumping out the way at Oldham

I could be here all night.

Not paying the players.
Uncertainty about the clubs future.
Not paying the players.
Uncertainty about the clubs future.

Remember, to have got the extra 8 points from just 4 gaffes, the 4 gaffes would have to come from the DRAWN games only.

Remember, to have got the extra 8 points from just 4 gaffes, the 4 gaffes would have to come from the DRAWN games only.

Throwing away a 2-0 lead over Huddersfield
Throwing away the lead against Walsall
Barnard missing a pen against Leeds
Mildenhall jumping out the way of the ball at Oldham

I could be here all night.

"We don't owe HMRC, in fact THEY owe us"
"Lads, times are going to be tough, so I hope you're all happy to play for free for a few months..."
"I've just finished reading 'How to nearly buy players' by Glenn Hoddle, I think we can peddle this over the summer and put together a team of players who couldn't give two hoots about being here and get about 228 loanees in on the cheap instead"
"200k for Macca? No ta, we like ineffectual midfielders on our books, screw being able to sign 2 players who might look like wanting to be here, the cow's arse, banjo and 180k change the fans love him"

The physio playing in our pre-season friendlies. Alarm bells were ringing even then, sending out the wrong signals to both playing staff and supporters.

Geoff King and Ron Martin openly criticising members of the playing and coaching staff, thereby completely undermining Steve Tilson.

Selling Lee Barnard - especially in view of him refuting the suggestion he would have 'downed tools'. The simple promise of 'if you score us the goals to keep us up, you can have a free transfer in the summer' may have saved us far more than the £175,000 we received.

Having just one recognised centre half throughout the season. It defied belief that we could get away with it on a consistent basis.

"We don't owe HMRC, in fact THEY owe us"
"Lads, times are going to be tough, so I hope you're all happy to play for free for a few months..."
"I've just finished reading 'How to nearly buy players' by Glenn Hoddle, I think we can peddle this over the summer and put together a team of players who couldn't give two hoots about being here and get about 228 loanees in on the cheap instead"
"200k for Macca? No ta, we like ineffectual midfielders on our books, screw being able to sign 2 players who might look like wanting to be here, the cow's arse, banjo and 180k change the fans love him"

Appreciate your feelings, but I'm looking for 4 moments on the pitch during the drawn matches that could have changed our status for next season if players hadn't fouled up.

Selling Lee Barnard - especially in view of him refuting the suggestion he would have 'downed tools'. The simple promise of 'if you score us the goals to keep us up, you can have a free transfer in the summer' may have saved us far more than the £175,000 we received.

That is a pointless promise though. "If you score the goals to keep us up you can have a free transfer in the Summer..." Errrr or you are out of contract so you can walk anyway?

Point of Order: There has been more misquoting about the Lee Barnard situation than almost any other. It wasn't LB who was alleged to have threatened to down tools, it was his agent. And LB didn't say he wouldn't have downed tools, he said he didn't say he would down tools.

what about laurents open goal miss against oldham at home could of got a point there and could of got 3 points if he didn't miss another open goal against wycombe at home also

The physio playing in our pre-season friendlies. Alarm bells were ringing even then, sending out the wrong signals to both playing staff and supporters.

Geoff King and Ron Martin openly criticising members of the playing and coaching staff, thereby completely undermining Steve Tilson.

Having just one recognised centre half throughout the season. It defied belief that we could get away with it on a consistent basis.

*MtS likes this*

The seeds of our downfall this season were being sown 2 or 3 years ago when we began to pay Championship wages in League One.
I have fond memories of those times... lots of Southend fans demanding the warchest be opened and the club start spending far more money than it already was.
But now we have reaped the consequences this season all those people "always knew" we were heading for the rocks financially and if only we had listened to their wise words back then we wouldn't be in the mess we are in now.

Not being able to score
Not being able to defend
Not being able to pass
Not being able to tackle

Not being able to hold on to a lead against both Wycombe and Tranmere. Those points could of been vital.

Back