• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

davewebbsbrain

Webby⭐
So following on from the thread 'Which popular Blues players have you personally disliked over the years & why' I thought we could have a positive thread about Blues players you surprisingly liked.

There are a couple I can talk about. From the current crop, spent some time recently with John Spicer and found him to be very genial, a nice bloke to sit and have a chat with.

Back in the day I was working in Wickford and bumped into Tommy Mooney outside his house. Very friendly, more than happy to have a chat.

Bumped into Ronnie Whelan and Paul Byrne once or twice in the Halfway House, had a good chat with both, Byrne was more than happy to introduce me to Ronnie as he had seen me do something a couple of months before and wanted to tell Ronnie all about it.

Osei Sankofa, don't really know why just thought he wasn't as bad as everyone made out.

Tony Richards, always wanted him to do well but he just never cut it.

Dave Mcsweeny, was really impressed with him and thought he would do well but again same as TR just didn't cut the mustard.

There have been many over the years just need to rack my brains and think of some more.

Gary Jones who lived at my house for about nine months when playing for us and was a decent bloke who was very frustrated he did not score more goals at Roots Hall. He was another player though that had never played this far South before so with a girlfriend and a young daughter mostly back in Doncaster he really struggled to settle in the area.

Ryan Leonard, very friendly when I went for lunch at boots and laces and have seen him around town a couple of times, very nice person to have a chat with

Exchanged a few words with several of the current ones last night, needed to get a Wembley programme signed for an SJS member who had been unable to go to Wembley as he'd been sick (his mum's dancing group had provided our face painters) and a birthday card for the young SJS member presenting our POTY award whose birthday it was. Ryan Cresswell, Matthew Lund, Michael Timlin and Neil Harris were all absolutely lovely and helpful about this, and Gavin Tomlin took time to actually write a message in the birthday card rather than just sign it. Nice people :thumbsup:

Che Wilson and Darryl Flahavan.

I stayed in the same hotel as the team for the 2005 play off final. All the lads were really friendly. But sat with Che and Flavs in the bar on the morning of the game just chatting, really laid back, genuine blokes.

Peter Clarke was also very friendly and approachable.

Nicky Nicolau - Really nice guy to have a chat with, and got on with him really well.

Neil Jenkins - Top man :thumbsup:

JFC

I wore a Christophe shirt at Chelsea away, and on the way out, I was stopped by his girlfriend and cousin who couldn't believe I had his name on my shirt.

They insisted they could have their pcture taken with me, and wanted my autograph.

So, although I never met JFC, this very odd moment will live with me for some time!

Nicky Nicolau - Really nice guy to have a chat with, and got on with him really well.

I wish I'd got to meet his missus

573705962.jpg

Wasn't a fan of Nicolau when I met him. Barely said two words to me, didn't look at me or acknowledge me and gave the most p**s poor autograph I've ever seen. He was on the bench the next day so probably explains why!

Che Wilson was a top bloke, as was Mark Bentley. Goes without saying, but Adam Barrett was a really nice guy. Also, Kevin Maher responded well to the banter when we took the p**s out of his socks and sandals :hilarious:

Andy Rammell was an absolute star though, really lovely bloke with a 'nothing is too much' attitude. Top man!

Back