• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Which one of the youth team three....

Options

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
Which one of the three youth team type players whatever they are called (YTS in my day) will have the most impact in the new season.

Jonny Herd has already shown himself to be a class act when called upon if not a little niave which you would expect. He is expected to make a good impression but could get crowded out of it by Harding or a more experience left back. The real strength of his game are his massive jug ears which he uses to block the opponents view at corners, free kicks etc etc.

Stuart O Keefe is a midfielder cum winger cum "I will play anywhere boss" type player. Never seen him personally but must be decent as nominated for some national youth award or another. He does have a few crap tatoos so please consider this when voting.

Craig Calver scored a million goals last season in twenty odd appreances and is the only youth team player to get a contract depite them winning the UEFA Champioms league or something similar. Will his 75 goals a game ration transfer to the first team.

PS - I am not including Francky Moussa in my poll as I think its fair to say he is now an established first team player.

Last edited:
I believe that everyone will expect either Herd or O'Keefe to break into the first team next season but I think we may be in for a surprise and Calver could have a good run in the first team.

I'd say Herd. Impressive performances against Chelsea (especially at Stamford Bridge)

Dervite now back at Spurs and Clarke's future up in the air. I think Herd will be a regular next season.

I believe that everyone will expect either Herd or O'Keefe to break into the first team next season but I think we may be in for a surprise and Calver could have a good run in the first team.

Are you mad? We have an embarrsement of riches when it comes to striking quality the likes of Revell, Walker and Laurent infront of him.

Calver must look at those ahead of him and think "why me?".

Depends what happens with signings, Herd's had plenty of tastes of the 1st team and done ok; O'Keefe has had less, but still seems perfectly at ease; Calver is a step behind both of them. If we don't sign another LB, then it'll be Herd - if we do it'll be likely to be O'Keefe, who is probably more of a playmaker than any of our 1st team CMs (yes, that's a tiny, weeny criticism of Macca!). Don't think it'll be Calver though, can easily see him going out on loan for experience.

I have gone for the bottom option as I can't see any of those three making an imapct on the team this year.

When we had Johnny Herd in the team, he looked more exciting down the left-side but we did ship a lot of goals. I think he will either buy a new left back (if Clarkey goes) or stick with Barrett (if Clarkey stays)

I think O'keefe will go out on loan to a league 2 club next season as I think he needs regular first team football which we wont be able to offer him. We saw what a loan spell did for Mooose so I think it will do Stuart good as well

I think Calver could also do with a spell out on loan, mostly because there are too many strikers blocking his path to the first team at the moment.

Which one of the three youth team type players whatever they are called (YTS in my day) will have the most impact in the new season.

Jonny Herd has already shown himself to be a class act when called upon if not a little niave which you would expect. He is expected to make a good impression but could get crowded out of it by Harding or a more experience left back. The only weakness's to his game are his massive jug ears which he uses to block the opponents view at corners, free kicks etc etc.

Stuart O Keefe is a midfielder cum winger cum "I will play anywhere boss" type player. Never seen him personally but must be decent as nominated for some national youth award or another. He does have a few crap tatoos so please consider this when voting.

Craig Calver scored a million goals last season in twenty odd appreances and is the only youth team player to get a contract depite them winning the UEFA Champioms league or something similar. Will his 75 goals a game ration transfer to the first team.

PS - I am not including Francky Moussa in my poll as I think its fair to say he is now an established first team player.

Surely if Herd's jug ears block an opponents view at set pieces, that would be classed as an asset and not a weakness!

Herd for me. Put in 2 good showings against Chelsea whiched proved he can do a job, whether he can do it consistently week in week out is yet to be proved.

I'll say Herd tentatively (having not seen Calver play so for all I know, he could be the next Ronaldo).

As a team, we've got lots of options in centre-mid so despite him looking pretty promising whenever I've seen him, I think O' Keefe's got his work cut out to get in the first team. Herd looked very accomplished when he had his run in the team January/February and can only get better and he's got a much better chance of a good run in the first team when Barrett moves back to the Centre/gets injured/gets suspended.

Johnny Herd is the only one who has had a spell in the first team and not looked out of place. O'Keefe improves every time I see him but doesn't stand out as much as Johnny Herd does and I have only seen Calver play 1 full game but he looked average at reserve team level but from what others have said he sounds better than that!

Are you mad? We have an embarrsement of riches when it comes to striking quality the likes of Revell, Walker and Laurent infront of him.

Calver must look at those ahead of him and think "why me?".

To answer your first question, only slight. Look at our striker force more closely. Barnard and Freedman can't stay fit for more than 10 games. Walker and Laurent are very inconsistant. Robinson won't come back and Revell isn't a regular scorer. It is also the most unexpected person to become a hero. Look at the Col Ewe games. Who scored for us to gain us a point and 3 points at their place, Christophe and Moussa.

I'd love to see Herd given further opportunities next season, I just worry that if Barrett is moving back into the middle we're going to struggle aerially on the left.

I'd love to see Herd given further opportunities next season, I just worry that if Barrett is moving back into the middle we're going to struggle aerially on the left.

He maybe a short lad (only 1 inch shorter than Barrett) but is still good in the air.

Jonny Herd has already shown himself to be a class act when called upon if not a little niave which you would expect. He is expected to make a good impression but could get crowded out of it by Harding or a more experience left back. The real strength of his game are his massive jug ears which he uses to block the opponents view at corners, free kicks etc etc.

And surely they will be able to hear the tiniest of whispers from the opposition and pass it around to the team

O'Keefe for me, anyone else see him play at leeds away??? Was really impressed with his performance, looked our best player in large parts of the game. After a few injuries to the squad i think he will deffinatly get a look in

Unfortunately I feel these three will more likely follow the fortunes of Fitzpatrick, Perkins, Lawson, Engwell and Seadon , than those of Prior, Clark, Edinburgh or Taylor

There's a pattern to the way that T&B bring youngsters through.

This will see Jonny Herd as a 1st team squad regular who will be given more chances as and when we need a Left Back, and with the opportunity to hold onto his spot if he plays well enough.

Stuart O'Keefe will find his way onto the bench quite a lot and get the occassional start when a gap opens up in midfield, like Jonny Herd though he'll be dropped as soon as the guy who's place he is taking is available again.

Calver will travel with the 1st team and get the occassional spot on the bench. probably getting enough 5 minute appearances to earn him the bonuses buit into his contract. Possibly get a loan spell with a decent non-league outfit to see how he copes with regular football against more mature players.

If players don't develop through this system, they'll normally be let go at the second stage. Unfortunately this is a slow process and returns about one decent 1st team player every two seasons.

Back