• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Which phone?

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
I think it's about time I finally sort myself out with a proper smartphone.

What phone would Zoners recommend and why.

I expect I'd use it for e-mails, surfing Shrimperzone and taking the occasional photo.

Actual useful advice welcome in addition to the usual joke suggestions of a Nokia 3210 (which is still one of the greatest phones of all time) or a brick.

I'd wait a few weeks if you're more inclined to go for an Android phone. The reason is that a new version of the HTC 1 has just come out, and there is also a new Samsung S6 (IIRC) coming out soon. It might be worth waiting. Even if you don't want something quite as good as either of these, the fact that they're out might start to bring down the prices of "older" models.

I'd wait a few weeks if you're more inclined to go for an Android phone. The reason is that a new version of the HTC 1 has just come out, and there is also a new Samsung S6 (IIRC) coming out soon. It might be worth waiting. Even if you don't want something quite as good as either of these, the fact that they're out might start to bring down the prices of "older" models.

Thanks, I doubt I'll get anything sorted for a few weeks anyway.

What are people's views on iPhone v Samsung v HTC?

I have found your new updated phone for one as old as you. yb phone.jpg

IMO Samsung all the way...

How much do you want to spend?

Are you already invested in a product family? Mac or Android?

Budget is flexible. If the top of the range stuff is really that much better (although I'm usually sceptical it actually is) I'd be prepared to go for it. If the difference between the mid-range and top of the range is cosmetic I'd go for the mid-range option.

Amazingly I'm not invested in a product family.

YB is an Android,you think he a human,behave Toddy! :winking:

He behaves so lifelike sometimes, I forgot.

Budget is flexible. If the top of the range stuff is really that much better (although I'm usually sceptical it actually is) I'd be prepared to go for it. If the difference between the mid-range and top of the range is cosmetic I'd go for the mid-range option.

Amazingly I'm not invested in a product family.

I'd recommend the Moto G 2nd generation as you're not worried by having the latest/top of the range phone.

Recently updated to newest version of Android with probably the best price/performance ratio and only costs £140ish.

Thanks, I doubt I'll get anything sorted for a few weeks anyway.

What are people's views on iPhone v Samsung v HTC?

My view is that iPhones are a triumph of advertising. A lot of the new features in the iPhone 6 have been on Android for about 2 years. However, that isn't 100% true...

I always used to have HTC phones until I bought my current phone which is a Samsung S3.

At the time Samsung were considered the only real alternative to the iPhone (and probably still are), but that is because, as HTC admit themselves, they dropped the ball in terms of advertising.

I am about to change my phone again soon, and am looking at going back to HTC. I like the look and feel of the 1M8, although I haven't seen the new version of the 1. I also found it easier to use than the Samsung, although I have got used to Samsung, so may well change that view if I change to HTC...

I really like my iPhone, the iOS is stable and really easy and intuitive. I also think the hardware is very decent. Yes you do pay a bit of a premium but I've always found Android to look and feel a bit cheap and odd. Just my view though. As with most things you'll get fans of both sides and not many people who've used both in equal amounts.

If you already regularly use an iPod then an iPhone might make the switch easier.

I really like my iPhone, the iOS is stable and really easy and intuitive. I also think the hardware is very decent. Yes you do pay a bit of a premium but I've always found Android to look and feel a bit cheap and odd. Just my view though. As with most things you'll get fans of both sides and not many people who've used both in equal amounts.

If you already regularly use an iPod then an iPhone might make the switch easier.

I think I only know two people that have used both. One moved from the iPhone to the Samsung S5. He absolutely loves his new phone and won't go back. The other is a techy geek who is iPhone mad, tried an Android phone and hated it!

I am about to change my phone again soon, and am looking at going back to HTC. I like the look and feel of the 1M8, although I haven't seen the new version of the 1. I also found it easier to use than the Samsung, although I have got used to Samsung, so may well change that view if I change to HTC...

I was the same. Had an HTC Desire and loved it. Went for a Samsung Galaxy SII about three years ago and never really got on with it. It felt a lot cheaper than HTC's phones and I had a lot of problems with it towards the end (battery would last maybe three hours, the charger port needed replacing, the phone looked very tatty after 18 months, etc). So I ended up upgrading to an HTC One. Loved that, lost it and took a Sony Xperia Z3. That's a beautiful phone but a few things annoyed me with it so when it got stolen at the start of the year I went back to HTC again this time for the One M8.

HTC phones are just so well built. I honestly think I could drop my M8 out of the window and it would scratch up a bit but keep working. I don't see me changing brand again.

I was the same. Had an HTC Desire and loved it. Went for a Samsung Galaxy SII about three years ago and never really got on with it. It felt a lot cheaper than HTC's phones and I had a lot of problems with it towards the end (battery would last maybe three hours, the charger port needed replacing, the phone looked very tatty after 18 months, etc). So I ended up upgrading to an HTC One. Loved that, lost it and took a Sony Xperia Z3. That's a beautiful phone but a few things annoyed me with it so when it got stolen at the start of the year I went back to HTC again this time for the One M8.

HTC phones are just so well built. I honestly think I could drop my M8 out of the window and it would scratch up a bit but keep working. I don't see me changing brand again.

Sold!

I'm going out to get a 1 right now!

(I also moved from the Desire, but to the S3.)

I think I only know two people that have used both. One moved from the iPhone to the Samsung S5. He absolutely loves his new phone and won't go back. The other is a techy geek who is iPhone mad, tried an Android phone and hated it!

I don't get that. It should be the case that Techy Geeks will like Android because you can do so much more with it. Geeks usually like to play, put different ROMS etc on and you can't do anything with Apple whatsoever

Will you be doing an experiment and posting the results on here?

I don't get that. It should be the case that Techy Geeks will like Android because you can do so much more with it. Geeks usually like to play, put different ROMS etc on and you can't do anything with Apple whatsoever

You'd have thought wouldn't you?

Strange bloke. But he's such a geek he took a day off work to queue up when the new iPhone 5 came out!

"expect I'd use it for e-mails, surfing Shrimperzone and taking the occasional photo"

No mention of using it as a phone, so I imagine that small and compact isn't a must have.

Samsungs do a variety of screen sizes, as do Nokia (now called Microsoft), but they run Widows 8 which has considerably fewer apps available.

I had a Samsung Galaxy which was only slightly smaller than a small tablet ideal if you are after something where the data being displayed can actually be seen . I now have a Nokia , which is slightly smaller, for mobile use and a Samsung Note for when I am at home and can use a bigger screen..
They will just fit in a jacket pocket.

Back