• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Who’s captain...... Mark Oxley

Who should be SUFC captain?

• Ben Coker

Votes: 15 14.7%
  • John White

Votes: 26 25.5%
  • Michael Turner

Votes: 45 44.1%
  • Mark Oxley

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Simon Cox

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bart

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
Cokers performances as captain do not warrant him given the armband for this season. He is not a leader and I believe the added responsibility impacted these performances.

It should be someone who will play the majority of the games, barring injury, not have a injury record that would influence this and finally be a leader on the park. I think Simon Cox ticks these boxes.

John White for me - agree that I don't think there are any 100% starters except probably Oxley.

well Oxley is a definite starter as is Coker.

Fine ............ and I know that this is rather negative but Oxley may pick up an injury in pre-season on the rock hard ground and Cokes was out last season due to injury in a friendly I think ............ so I still stick with the view that it is too early to say. :Highfive:

Captaincy in football cf cricket! is not really as important as so many people try to make out.
That said,it should really be a commanding,astute central defender((think Terry,Adams,Moore...).For us next season,Ferdinand may not be playing that much,White shouldn’t be,so the choice must be Turner.

For us next season, Ferdinand may not be playing that much, White shouldn’t be, so the choice must be Turner.

Are you able to expand on why White "shouldn't be". At the end of last season we won games 4-0, 3-0, 2-0 and then drew 0-0 - all with White having the arm-band.

Too early to say. Let’s see how things pan out after the friendlies. Apart from existing players, others could be in with a shout. Hyam has had injury problems but he has also captained Ipswich previously.

Are you able to expand on why White "shouldn't be". At the end of last season we won games 4-0, 3-0, 2-0 and then drew 0-0 - all with White having the arm-band.
Thank you! You underline my point perfectly:that the captaincy in football is largely irrelevant.
It was great that we could do so well despite the fact that it was the substandard centre-half who for non-footballing reasons(nice bloke!) had a band round his arm.

Thank you! You underline my point perfectly:that the captaincy in football is largely irrelevant.
It was great that we could do so well despite the fact that it was the substandard centre-half who for non-footballing reasons(nice bloke!) had a band round his arm.

Which makes that your opinion only and not one necessarily shared by others, including me.

I'm going to have to jump on this one too. John White has made nearly 450 career appearances and played very well last season and has repeatedly proved doubters wrong. There's a reason managers keep picking him - he's a class act

Back