• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Who’s captain...... Mark Oxley

Who should be SUFC captain?

• Ben Coker

Votes: 15 14.7%
  • John White

Votes: 26 25.5%
  • Michael Turner

Votes: 45 44.1%
  • Mark Oxley

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Simon Cox

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bart

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
I'm going to have to jump on this one too. John White has made nearly 450 career appearances and played very well last season and has repeatedly proved doubters wrong. There's a reason managers keep picking him - he's a class act

I’m a fan of John White. Always gives his all and a good bloke too. I’m not sure he is the right person for captain though. When he was captain before he didn’t seem very vocal and was replaced. I think he would be better just concentrating on his playing position.

I would stick with Coker. SCP made the decision when he came in, and will have his reasons for it.

I also don’t believe Cokers form was affected by the captaincy, It was more likely the leg break that did that. A full pre season will help with that.

Poll added after CP said he's yet to decide.

Interesting to see the opposite opinions of the SZ poll to that of Evening Echo's Chris Phillips's one on twitter.. of the "most popular three" they are as follows:

Chris Phillips:
1. Ben Coker 42%
2. John White 35%
3. Michael Turner 20%

ShrimperZone:
1. Michael Turner 47.6%
2. John White 28.6
3. Ben Coker 19%

To be fair, the Chris Phillips one probably gives us a general better idea of whom the majority of Southend Utd fans want, as he has received well over a thousand votes on his so far, and we've only had 21 votes on here.

Last edited:
I agree with Powell to some extent, I think in this country we have a bit of an obsession with captaincy. You want more than one leader on the pitch. But if I had to pick someone I'd say Turner, because of his experience and he's a bit more vocal than White and Demetriou. I'm also old-fashioned and think your captain should usually be a centre-back or midfielder. But there's a question mark over how many games he will play so as Powell has hinted, we'll probably see a few different players wearing the armband.

SOUTHEND United fans feel Ben Coker should captain the team during the forthcoming League One campaign.

More...

I take it most of those "fans" never actually watched Coker's performance whilst he was captain!!

Probably the worst I've ever seen him play and that alone means he shouldn't be considered as captain - then take into account that he hardly talks during the game and often gets caught out of position; last person I would give the armband to.

I take it most of those "fans" never actually watched Coker's performance whilst he was captain!!

Probably the worst I've ever seen him play and that alone means he shouldn't be considered as captain - then take into account that he hardly talks during the game and often gets caught out of position; last person I would give the armband to.

I had put his performances down to the leg break suffered and time out of the game rather than because he was wearing an armband.

I do think there are better captains in this team, Oxley and Turner two examples, however if SCP believes Coker is the best choice then I wouldn’t be unhappy either.

Oxley for me, having a keeper as captain seems to make sense to me, maybe it's the amount of time they spend watching the game so they have a better idea of what needs to change.

mind you the idea of having a captain seems a bit outdated now days anyway, it's not as if the do anything other than a coin toss

Sorry, I just don't agree with keepers as captain, and, yes, I know there have been plenty of successful ones, particularly at international level.

Back