• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who's optimistic then?

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Sadly not me, for once.

I’m past all the tension now. I’m resigned to whatever happens, happens – and for once I have absolutely no expectations or optimism. I fear that yet another home match is going to end in a party for the visiting fans, a la Torquay last season and Yeovil this.

In some way I wish the season had ended at Grimsby. There’s only so much heartache you can take from our beloved team. After the Yeovil match I felt like a bloke who’d just found out his wife had left him; Grimsby made me feel like a bloke who’s just found out his wife had left him for his best mate, and I have an awful feeling that on Saturday I’ll feel like the kids have just started calling him Dad.

How much more can the knife be twisted? How cruel would it be to lose on penalties?

sad.gif

Someone cheer me up or give me faith, please! I'm all hoped out!

I'm optimistic because whenever we have stepped up to the plate in a two-leg play-off in recent years we have been victorious.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 19 2005,10:43)]I'm optimistic because whenever we have stepped up to the plate in a two-leg play-off in recent years we have been victorious.
But we won the away leg on both occasions... and then drew at home.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ May 19 2005,10:39)]After the Yeovil match I felt like a bloke who’d just found out his wife had left him; Grimsby made me feel like a bloke who’s just found out his wife had left him for his best mate, and I have an awful feeling that on Saturday I’ll feel like the kids have just started calling him Dad.

How much more can the knife be twisted?  How cruel would it be to lose on penalties?

sad.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

You are suffering from "SUFC fatigue", a common condition in fans who have been following the Shrimpers for twenty years or more. The symptoms of this condition include anxiety, "manic/depression" mood swings from 'we are champions' to 'we are crap', often cycling several times an hour, and in the later stages deep depression and a refusal to believe that the dawn will ever come for the followers of Southend. There is no known cure, mainly because all the syptoms can be seen as a completely rational response to life as a Southend Fan.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ May 19 2005,10:39)]Sadly not me, for once.  

I’m past all the tension now.  I’m resigned to whatever happens, happens – and for once I have absolutely no expectations or optimism.  I fear that yet another home match is going to end in a party for the visiting fans, a la Torquay last season and Yeovil this.

In some way I wish the season had ended at Grimsby.  There’s only so much heartache you can take from our beloved team. After the Yeovil match I felt like a bloke who’d just found out his wife had left him; Grimsby made me feel like a bloke who’s just found out his wife had left him for his best mate, and I have an awful feeling that on Saturday I’ll feel like the kids have just started calling him Dad.

How much more can the knife be twisted?  How cruel would it be to lose on penalties?

sad.gif

If the football Gods are totally against us, then we'll win on Saturday but then lose in Cardiff, as that will be more painful for us than losing in the semi final.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ May 19 2005,10:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 19 2005,10:43)]I'm optimistic because whenever we have stepped up to the plate in a two-leg play-off in recent years we have been victorious.
But we won the away leg on both occasions... and then drew at home.
so this is the time to reverse it- win at home, draw away, then instead of losing 2-0 at Cardiff, winning 2-0 at Cardiff.

If this happens I'll be the first to say I told you so

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 19 2005,10:57)]If this happens I'll be the first to say I told you so

smile.gif
No? Really?

That would be most out of character!

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ May 19 2005,10:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 19 2005,10:57)]If this happens I'll be the first to say I told you so

smile.gif
No? Really?

That would be most out of character!

tounge.gif
Oh dear, have I stepped out of line with the Ron M/WS clique?

ghostface.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 19 2005,11:01)]Oh dear, have I stepped out of line with the Ron M/WS clique?

ghostface.gif

laugh.gif
Only if you know something I don't.......

tounge.gif
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You are suffering from "SUFC fatigue"

How true, how true.
I think many of us, like FBM, have reluctantly taken the "what happens, happens" view. Largely, this is because we don't have the emotional capacity to keep coming back when our hopes are continually dashed on the rocks. To accept already that we're not going up is purely self-protection. Quite simply, failure will be painful in so many ways when you consider how far we've come. If we resign ourselves to that outcome, then should it happen we can content ourselves with "we didn't expect to go up anyway".

BUT while the players have undoubtedly let themselves down in recent weeks, they're the same guys who took us top despite our chronically disappointing start to the season. Our goals-for tally has been impressive throughout the campaign, our defence has been tight, Maher has consistently provided assists, Bentley has been dominant in midfield, Wilson has been a different player, Barrett has been entirely awesome, Freddy has shown he can turn a game in a second, Flahavan has been rejuvenated by the competition with Griemink and even Gower has had his moments of brilliance. Northampton are there for the taking!

The darkest hour before the dawn?
The calm before the storm?
The light at the end of the tunnel?

Whichever, just think how delighted you're gonna feel if we DO get through to Cardiff - and then we DO go up via the playoffs. We'll be talking about this season for years!

COME ON YOU MIGHTY SHRIMPERS!!!!!!!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper James @ May 19 2005,10:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ May 19 2005,10:39)]Sadly not me, for once.  

I’m past all the tension now.  I’m resigned to whatever happens, happens – and for once I have absolutely no expectations or optimism.  I fear that yet another home match is going to end in a party for the visiting fans, a la Torquay last season and Yeovil this.

In some way I wish the season had ended at Grimsby.  There’s only so much heartache you can take from our beloved team. After the Yeovil match I felt like a bloke who’d just found out his wife had left him; Grimsby made me feel like a bloke who’s just found out his wife had left him for his best mate, and I have an awful feeling that on Saturday I’ll feel like the kids have just started calling him Dad.

sad.gif

If the football Gods are totally against us, then we'll win on Saturday but then lose in Cardiff, as that will be more painful for us than losing in the semi final.
I disagree, I think it would be more painful to lose in the semi final, at Roots Hall, then in the final at the Millenium Stadium.

Come of fellas. I was very depressed after the season and thought we'd blown it but once I brought my tickets for the home and away legs the optimisism came flooding back. For a start I haven't seen us lose away, apart from at the Millenium Stadium, when technically its a netrual venue. I don't buy tickets to games I think we will lose, but I buy tickets for every home game, some of which we lose.

We need to be positive, the players' react to the crowd and we need to be in full voice on saturday, and we need to be positive from the start. As soon as any players' of SUFC enter the pitch, we need to applaud them, sing "their" song. It can make a difference. When the teamsheet is being read out just before kick off, lets have a cheer for every single Southend United player. Lets make sure they know we are behind them 100%, lets make them know we are up for the game.

Also, please stay behind after the game to applaud our players' for their fantastic efforts over the season. Be that if we win or lose.

Yes, I'm optimistic. I'm also nervous and anxious but my overall attitdue about this game is a cavalier one. I truly believe we can win on Saturday and then it's there for the taking in Cardiff. Bring it on I say, let's be having you etc. etc.

I am generally cautious by nature but we are going up. As I am moving back to Essex at the beginning of July I am to be treated to League 1 football. Thankyou Blues and I promise to repay this with regular home attendance and as much away support as I can muster. I may even go into the club shop and put a fiver over the counter each week and walk out. I would actually buy something but they never seem to have what I want.
wink.gif

As my mum once told me, "at the end of the day whether you are optimistic or pessimistic it doesn't change the outcome but the optimist has a better time of the waiting"

relax, it will all be fine
cool.gif

MORE REASONS TO BE OPTIMISTIC

I posted this back in April.
The logic still applies.

In 1978 and 1981, Southend United were promoted.

In 1978, Wales won the Rugby Grand Slam, the Pope died and Liverpool lost the league cup final to the top division's eventual champions but won the European Cup

In 1981, Prince Charles got married, Ken and Deirdre got married, Norwich and Crystal Palace were relegated from the top division, a new Doctor Who was appointed and Liverpool won the European Cup

Already this year, Wales have won the Rugby Grand Slam (tick)
The Pope has died (tick)
Liverpool lost to Chelsea in the League Cup Final (tick)
Prince Charles got married (tick)
Ken and Deirdre got married (tick)
A new Doctor Who was appointed (tick)
Norwich and Crystal Palace were relegated (tick)
And Liverpool are in the European Cup Final (???)

Reasons to be optimistic? I think so!

optimistic...no, but believe if we do win this game then we will win the final as we will have restored confidence.

The way our ups and downs are going I reckon we'll lose it on penalties, and it'll be Barret who misses or something.
sad.gif

I'm just coasting along now, no preconceptions or hopes, just cruising with the bonus of an extra home game.....

I am very confident, if we lose we lose and i will be gutted as the next person, but being a pesimist wont help the way we feel after the match.
Unfortunately i wont be at the Hall but i will be sitting in a little corner of a little pub in Leeds cheering the boys in my own little way, gettint the **** taken out of me by the egg chasing yokals just like on Sunday.
And WE are gona spank THEM.

I'm not very optimistic about saturday, but if we do win then i'm sure we'll win at Cardiff as i feel that we defo have the beating of Macc and Lincon.

Back