• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

who's your secret second team?

Just admit it, you have a second team !!

There are no doubt a few shrimpers on here who are SUFC from birth, but most have a second team i'm sure.

I'm an Arsenal fan myself, you?

tounge.gif
Stupid Gooner
biggrin.gif

When I was born I had a Man Utd rosette on one side of my cot and a West Ham one on the other - you can choose your friends, not your relatives!  
ghostface.gif

The West Ham thing never happened for me once I was old enough to speak and express my disgust for all things claret and blue. However whilst my first ever football match was at Roots Hall the Aunt and Uncle responsible for the Man Utd connection also used to take me to games at Old Trafford when I was a kid. However when Heysel happened my Dad put a stop to that and I just went to Southend matches, but up until I was 18 I still had a soft spot for Manc U. Untill I went to a match at Old Trafford as a treat for my 18th, realised that I was a Shrimper though and through and had no afinity with the dirty reds. In fact, one partcular comment from a Southern Red on the way back from the game about supporting Southend (which I've covered on here before) made me hate them - which I have ever since.

So, no secret second team for me - and it's been that way since I entered adulthood!

Not exactly a second team, but a soft spot for a few. My favourite was Meadowbank Thistle, surely the most unusual name for a club in Britain - but they turned into McFranchise FC, so that was that. Ross County is my "local" team (only 70 miles away) but the only team who can have me dancing or plunge me into the depths of depression is Southend.

berwick rangers, the only english team in the scottish league. good enough for me

Malaga - One of my best mates lives there and is president of their supporters club.Used to have a SUFC badge in the corner of there unofficial site but thats been removed now.

I used to go to White Hart Lane with my mate from school Kurtis Baxter (who was also a shrimper) when the mighty blues were away. And then one day Kurtis said he was ditching the likes of Gazza and co to follow the blues on their travels too!

I never continued with the Spurs thing, and eventualy got more and more into my love affair with the blues.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Jan. 20 2005,08:16)]Not exactly a second team, but a soft spot for a few. My favourite was Meadowbank Thistle, surely the most unusual name for  a club in Britain - but they turned into McFranchise FC, so that was that. Ross County is my "local" team (only 70 miles away) but the only team who can have me dancing or plunge me into the depths of depression is Southend.
Ditto with Meadowbank Thistle, for virtually the same reason. Also continue to have a soft spot for Forfar Athletic.

I know it's a bit Napsterish but my brother's ex-girlfriends father is a Stenhousmuir fan for exactly the same reasons but the main difference is that he attends at least one match a season !

In my early teens when Southend were away oop north I used to go to watch the Spurs. Rarely saw a poor game of football and late 70s early 80s was a great time to be a closet fan.

When Southend were away I always used to go and watch C********r or Orient. I must admit I have admiration for both clubs, they are very friendly and always play an attractive style of football. In the very early nineties I also liked to go along to watch Cambridge as I found their long ball antics quite remarkable and not just a little enetertaining. After Barry Fry left I developed a bit of a thing for Birmingham and funnily enough I still often nip over to see Peterborough when I can make it- old Barry's still the same! However, another club I get excited about is West Ham and I love it when they get a big win in front of their adoring home fans. They are a very patient lot at the Boleyn ground and never barrack their own players (unlike some little terrors at Roots hall). As Canvey have done well over the last few years I also try to watch them about 20-35 times a season- just when Southend are away of course. I just love that island mentality thing they've got going on there- "yellows, yellows". I love to join in with that one and it reminds me of the "seagulls" chants I used to start when I was a young tearaway at the old Goldstone ground a few years back. Good times, good times.

Anyhow, I think Newman's an honest man but not cut out for third division management. Sorry Rob but its time to go.

D'oh! I believed you up until the end of the third line!

(As a closet red, I'm currently watching the Rafa-lution with interest - and cringing at the mention of Traore! Blue is where the loyalties lie though)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Jan. 20 2005,08:16)]but the only team who can have me dancing or plunge me into the depths of depression is Southend.
How true is that! Spot on, sir.

Indeed, on that basis, the team I care about most next is my Hattrick team!!

laugh.gif

Teams I have soft spots for - a smile when they prosper, a frown when they suffer - are basically the teams that my best mates or rellies support:

*Airdrie (my girlfriend's Dad... recently had his 50th anniversary celebration as an Airdrie fan at the club)

*Man City (my good friend Eddie T who lives in Cheshire, a long time City seaso)

*Ipswich (another good friend Tom; the Ipswich v. Barnsley play-off final remains, objectively, the best game of football I've ever witnessed)

*Donny Rovers (my best mate, Iain, is a big Rovers fan... had me on the away terrace at Griffin Park earlier this season with the Rovers faithful).

- - - - -

But I only really care about one team, and that's Southend.

biggrin.gif

Oddly enough Meadowbank. There seems to be a strange 'stepford' vein running through this thread. I remember years ago hearing that Meadowbank were on some incredibly long losing streak which made me listen out for their subsequent results. Is it a compulsory part of ones nature to support the underdog to be a successful Blues fan?.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ Jan. 20 2005,10:10)]Oddly enough Meadowbank. There seems to be a strange 'stepford' vein running through this thread. I remember years ago hearing that Meadowbank were on some incredibly long losing streak which made me listen out for their subsequent results. Is it a compulsory part of ones nature to support the underdog to be a successful Blues fan?.
I think that you have put your finger on it. Perhaps there is also a little of "there but for the Grace of God goes SUFC!".

I know that I always look out for the clubs who once graced the league but now wander the lonely back streets of the lower divisions - Barrow, Southport, Newport, Bradford PA, Maidstone, the list grows ever longer. I imagine what their fans felt like when they dropped out of the league, and I can't help but have a lot of sympathy for them even though some club or other has to make way for the up and coming ones - just please not my beloved Southend - anything but that!

Back