• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who actually owns Roots Hall ?

Pak Power

Manager⭐
As far as I am aware, (and I need some of you more knowledgeable than me on this) Roots Hall was bought and paid for by the supporters. Local people donated. Local business's donated supplies for the ground to be built.Ted Grant donated the North Bank stand, and players and local people built the ground.

My recollections, were that the deeds were in the name of Southend united football SUPPORTERS club, (I think they had a watering hole in Ambleside drive)

Sometime during the Rubin/Woodcock era (allegedly) the club were in debt and the title deeds changed, so the lending bank had some collateral to lend on. Does anyone on here know/remember if this was legal, or challenged ?

My Father and Uncle donated quite a large sum in those days, as did many other families, to finance the purchase. Years later Mr. Martin is now charging us rent, although supposedly writing it off, and roots hall, or if it ever happens, Fossets Farm will be no longer in the control of Southend United Football Club!

IIRC The supporters club gave the ground to the club, Vic then gradually increased its value in the accounts and started borrowing against it to fund the push in the 2nd tier (Whelan, Marsh etc)
When the chickens came home to roost MD / Delancey bought the land and SUFC used the money to pay off debts

IIRC The supporters club gave the ground to the club, Vic then gradually increased its value in the accounts and started borrowing against it to fund the push in the 2nd tier (Whelan, Marsh etc)
When the chickens came home to roost MD / Delancey bought the land and SUFC used the money to pay off debts

Correct. Roots Hall and Boots & Laces are now owned by Roots Hall Limited, which in turn was (I thought) owned by South Eastern Leisure. SEL used to be owned by Martin Dawn and Delancey (I had thought in 25/75 shares), but Martin Dawn bought Delancey out - presumably through loans from the Bank of Scotland, Charterhouse Commercial Finance, Jetbury Investments (Cyprus) Limited and Mezcal Investments (BVI) Limited.

So, RHL is now owned by Ron - but financed and charged up to its eyeballs.

When Ron and Delancey were together, Roots Hall was used as collateral for a large loan from the Bank of Ireland (if my memory is correct).

From what I can remember of the Land Registry details, Roots Hall can only be used as a football ground while Southend United Football Club Ltd remains in existence.

so if there is no SUFC the holder of the land can do whatever they want with it ? :'(

When Ron and Delancey were together, Roots Hall was used as collateral for a large loan from the Bank of Ireland (if my memory is correct).

From what I can remember of the Land Registry details, Roots Hall can only be used as a football ground while Southend United Football Club Ltd remains in existence.

Terry, welcome back!

that's why the company (SUFC Ltd) has to be kept going at all costs!!

that's why the company (SUFC Ltd) has to be kept going at all costs!!

but if its run into the ground say by the holder of the lease it would be to their benefit.........

not that i'm making that accusation but..........a very scarey thought nethertheless

Here's a copy of the title register

For clarity, I've got a copy of the title register and have attached it here

As you can see it's currently mortgaged through Bank of Scotland and the Sainsbury's deal is confirmed as well.

The covenants are also shown as well.

For clarity, I've got a copy of the title register and have attached it here

As you can see it's currently mortgaged through Bank of Scotland and the Sainsbury's deal is confirmed as well.

The covenants are also shown as well.

I couldn't locate the "famous" covenant about solely for the use of the Football club....Did I miss it ?

Surely Wet Sham's reserves playing on the hallowed turf would count as offensive trade on the premises?

I'll have a proper read of it later, but I don't suppose you've got the plan as well?

Back