• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

turkishm

Director
Well pleased with how we have gone so far in div1. Not sure if we are anywhere near ready to take the leap to the Champ, with the players we have at the club. From a distance here, i would say at most maybe four or five players could make the step up, Bentley, Lenny,Cocker,Payne maybe, im struggling from there. The problem for me is, could PB build a side that could survive in the Champ, with the finance we have. Wages would be a problem right from the start, with players wanting second tier money. Of course i would be overjoyed, if we gained an unlikely promotion, but also deeply worried.

When you consider Prem' clubs collect £millions for going down to the Champ' and League 1 clubs get about 4p for getting promoted, it increases the gulf.

When you consider Prem' clubs collect £millions for going down to the Champ' and League 1 clubs get about 4p for getting promoted, it increases the gulf.

Agreed the jump from League 1 to Championship is the largest in terms of quality and finance and is growing all the time. Bristol City are a well financed club that won League 1 last year by a country mile and have been around the relegation zone all season.

Towards the top good teams like Ipswich and Derby cannot gain promotion. That is what we would be up against.

Agreed the jump from League 1 to Championship is the largest in terms of quality and finance and is growing all the time. Bristol City are a well financed club that won League 1 last year by a country mile and have been around the relegation zone all season.

Towards the top good teams like Ipswich and Derby cannot gain promotion. That is what we would be up against.
Is it just teams with finance like Southend, just hit the buffers in league 1 and can go no further, unless we bring quality through our youths and are able to hang on to them, or a Sugardaddy turns up.

Interesting that Bournemouth , a club of similar size to us, have made it all the way to the prem where they are holding their own.

Interesting that Bournemouth , a club of similar size to us, have made it all the way to the prem where they are holding their own.

With a billionaire backer. They've done it the right way and I'm delighted to see them doing so well, but the scenarios are incomparable.

Fair point - I dont know the stats but what did they spend on players when in League 1 and the Championship ??

Fair point - I dont know the stats but what did they spend on players when in League 1 and the Championship ??
I have no idea what they forked out to get them established in the Champ, but i fairly sure unless Southend were extremely lucky in the transfer market, it would take a few million to be anyway near what they achieved.

Thank you MK Shrimper.
So looking at that site:
Season 15/16 -£48M (when they are in the Prem)
Season 14/15 - £3M
Season 13/14 - £3.3M
Season 12/13 - £400K
Season 11/12 - £300K

Not exactly a fortune when you take out the Prem figure

I think Thompson could make the step up, apart from the one's you've mentioned above no one else.

Who would have predicted that Simon Francis would be captain of a premiership team?

If we look back a year I think a lot of people were saying that only a few of our players were good enough for league 1.

Its entirely possible that more of our players would step up the the challenge- it would be great to find out :smile:

Thank you MK Shrimper.
So looking at that site:
Season 14/15 - £3M
Season 13/14 - £3.3M
Season 12/13 - £400K
Season 11/12 - £300K

This doesn't include wages, signing-on fees etc. This alone will price many clubs out of what appear to be great 'free transfers'.

Thank you MK Shrimper.
So looking at that site:
Season 14/15 - £3M
Season 13/14 - £3.3M
Season 12/13 - £400K
Season 11/12 - £300K

No the 13-14 and the 14-15 figures are not that over the top, but have we got even that type money in Rons moneybox, mm.

Bentley
Coker
Lenny
Payne
Hunt
Barnett I'd we sign him.

That's about it I think.

Who would have predicted that Simon Francis would be captain of a premiership team?

If we look back a year I think a lot of people were saying that only a few of our players were good enough for league 1.

Its entirely possible that more of our players would step up the the challenge- it would be great to find out :smile:
I hope your right, would like to see it. You see the players week in and week out, so maybe more could make the Champ grade than i think. I still think Martin would have to dig deep, if we did the very unlikely promotion trip, plus the players we have now, would more than likely be looking for a in crease in wages.

Agreed, though Hunt, I think is past it now, he's to injury prone for me.

Hunt was released by Ipswich as he had become their 5th choice striker.

On or two of our players may make the grade but how many would get in say the Derby or Nottingham Forest team? And if they did how many would be key players?

After buying their way into the Prem by breaking FPP regulations. Fine has yet to be decided by the Football League.

Back