• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Who does the food shopping in your house.

Options

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
Lads,

I am at a crossroads. Mrs DtS and I have until recently done the food shopping as a joint effort. We rarely go and do a massive shop rather we go once a week and get stuff for the week.

However it has come to my attention that if Mrs DtS goes on her own that we come back with so much less that if I go on my own.

As a case study I went to the shops last week after football. I spent £30 notes and came back with six bangs full - Pastas, Rices.Spuds, Onions, Mushrooms and Peppers, Some meat and prawns and enough milk,bread and cheese to last a week. Add to this what you already have in the fridge and we basically have a weeks worth of meals.

In comparrison as I studying for exams at the moment Mrs DtS kindly decided to go to our good friend JS Sainsburys yesterday and get some food in. As she is on materanity leave my money is hers so I am taking more of an interest in what is being spent.

Mrs DtS managed to spend £40 on the following items, x4 differnet types od cheeses, rice milk, aubergines, courgettes, x2 lots of trout steaks, coffee, a cooked roast chicken for lunch and 3 different types of bread.

Now I am not being funny but why do we need 4 different cheeses. We are only using it as toping of a Lasange later this week.

I am now at the stage where I am thinking of taking over this role in full. I actually love a food shop and I feel I buy such better things that she does. Mrs DtS arguement is that I only buy essentials and not the nice things in life.

Lads - What do the lot of you do? Who holds ther purse strings when it comes to food shopping.

Lads,

I am at a crossroads. Mrs DtS and I have until recently done the food shopping as a joint effort. We rarely go and do a massive shop rather we go once a week and get stuff for the week.

However it has come to my attention that if Mrs DtS goes on her own that we come back with so much less that if I go on my own.

As a case study I went to the shops last week after football. I spent £30 notes and came back with six bangs full - Pastas, Rices.Spuds, Onions, Mushrooms and Peppers, Some meat and prawns and enough milk,bread and cheese to last a week. Add to this what you already have in the fridge and we basically have a weeks worth of meals.

In comparrison as I studying for exams at the moment Mrs DtS kindly decided to go to our good friend JS Sainsburys yesterday and get some food in. As she is on materanity leave my money is hers so I am taking more of an interest in what is being spent.

Mrs DtS managed to spend £40 on the following items, x4 differnet types od cheeses, rice milk, aubergines, courgettes, x2 lots of trout steaks, coffee, a cooked roast chicken for lunch and 3 different types of bread.

Now I am not being funny but why do we need 4 different cheeses. We are only using it as toping of a Lasange later this week.

I am now at the stage where I am thinking of taking over this role in full. I actually love a food shop and I feel I buy such better things that she does. Mrs DtS arguement is that I only buy essentials and not the nice things in life.

Lads - What do the lot of you do? Who holds ther purse strings when it comes to food shopping.

I think you have to go together where possible - the wife takes charge and does most of the work, but you can be there to veto craziness like four types of cheese and only one crate of Scrumpy Jack. I also find the supermarket an excellent venue for getting into arguments with foreigners.

I hate food shopping, happy to let the missus do it and by and large happy with what she buys. Only one income for us at the moment and whilst we aren't living on the breadline there is more of a budget than when we were both working and earning 'London' wages. She's pretty good at working within that budget and we never go without, or overdrawn.

I take charge of all food as well as other shopping, cleaning, cooking etc...

Then again BLUEBLOOD Junior is only 9 and if i gave him money to get stuff like eggs, sausages, bread and milk he'd come back with a magazine, some fizzy cola bottles, his latest sticker book supplies and a bouncy ball .. now much as i love fizzy cola bottles i think having them for breakfast, lunch and dinner may be a little bit too much

I think you have to go together where possible - the wife takes charge and does most of the work, but you can be there to veto craziness like four types of cheese and only one crate of Scrumpy Jack. I also find the supermarket an excellent venue for getting into arguments with foreigners.

I only go to supermarkets to argue with foreigners.

Seriously, I used to do the food shopping, thoroughly enjoyed it, some nice relaxing times perusing what's on offer.

The deal now is that I pay the mortgage and all household bills and the wife gets the food. The main problem I have found with this is that she buys the essentials and all the lovely things the kids and her like, and I get jack all. Also, when she has spent all the food money 3 weeks into the month, I still have to stump up for food.
In an ideal world, I would earn more than I do, the wife would work full time and we would all go shopping together and do a joint shop. Have you ever tried shopping with a 6 and a 2 year old....nightmare that just about sends me into a breakdown.

Where's the option for Cricko and canveyshrimper whereby one of those nice girls from the agency come round and collect their shopping lists and does it for them :p

If we do it together (about once a month), we end up buying 'fun' cereals, lots of cheese, full fat Coke and a tidy selection of wines and beers.

However, Mrs Ux usually does it on her own, which means boring cereals, Diet Coke and loads of vegetables.

Lads,

You need to lay down some ground rules early in the marriage.
My wife doesn’t work.so obviously does the food shopping in the week. When we used to use a joint account she used to buy all sorts of stuff just using the debt card.
I asked her to write down how much money she need for food shop, petrol, fags and stuff. I added 20 quid and gave her that much each week in cash on a Friday, on the proviso that she had to live within that budget and anything left over was hers.
As a result she is an excellent shopper who doesn’t waste money on rubbish and as far as I know has a few quid tucked away in case she needs it.

I go round the kitchen checking the cupboards and tell the wife what to write on the list, then we go to Tesco in Fraserburgh every Saturday morning for a weekly shop.

Not sure if this is excessive or not but our weekly bill is normally around £100/£120 and we take it in turns to pay the bill.

The task of shopping needs to be divided carefully.
For example this weekend, I went to the cornershop for fags and a paper whilst the missus visited B+Q to pick up a few bags of cement and half a yard of sharp.

The missu should do all the food shopping.. why would anyone want to waste one second of their life in a supermarket..Especially at the weekend!! I reckon the recent trend towards men saying they 'like doing the cooking' is to hide the fact that the missus is wearing the trousers and sends em to the shops like some errand boy.. Upon being spotted by other errand boys the 'No I didnt want to sit in watching the cricket, I wanted to shop as I love to do the cooking'... bah!

we are both working full time and earning similar amounts (although hers is more !) so all things are shared/ done jointly , except anything to do with the car, which she uses every day and I have to look after (?)

we are both working full time and earning similar amounts (although hers is more !) so all things are shared/ done jointly , except anything to do with the car, which she uses every day and I have to look after (?)

If Mrs FS is going shopping today do you think she'll get a cake with Happy Birthday Firestorm on it ;)

Congrats you old git :clap: :clap:

Back