• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who goes?

• Total voters

palexander

Life President
As I've posted in another thread, if either Tilson or Martin had to got TODAY, who would you prefer - considering all the implications that would go with their leaving would mean, I dont just mean they vanished off the face of the earth and everything would be rosey.

TILSON: Legend at the club, obviously loves Southend and has great affinity with majority of fans. Had great success helped by the signing of Eastwood, although has shown tactical naivety at times and makes some odd decisions. Shown he cannot make 'big money' signings and works better picking up lesser known players. Appears to be as depressed as the rest of us and by (almost) his own admission last night, is 'out of ideas'.

MARTIN: Saved the club from extinction and has continued to invest to keep us afloat. Has pushed the stadium plans through further than any other chairman and overseen our most successful periods in our history. But have his plans been too ambitious and is he now playing a deadly game of Russian Roulette with the very future of club? His stubbornness to deviate from 'the plan' or accept investment - coupled with the 'spin' has alienated him from many fans, but if, IF, he can see it through and deliver the stadium as promised, then who knows what the future holds.

As its my poll, I best vote first - and I vote Tilson goes. I dont like Martin and his decisions have absolutely infuriated me at times - but I feel that unless someone steps forward with a multi-million pound sack of cash for him, I doubt he'll leave - and we need that stadium now.

If he pulled the plug and we stayed at Roots Hall, crowds of 11k are not going to allow us to establish in the CCC or even (one day, who knows) flirt with the top division.

Tilson is 'out of ideas' and down in the dumps (rightly so), so perhaps its best we try something and someone else and try to get a foothold back in this division. Someone who can work with a limited budget, be more tactical when required and get some belief back in this squad - as I wager they are going out each week expecting to get beat at the moment.

If they BOTH stay, I cannot see the situation improving. Where are the results going to come from?

Anyways... just for a bit of fun!

both to go.

get barry hearn and scott houghton in. dream team.

Both, graysblue.jr to come in as chairman/manager role. IN GRAYSBLUE.JR WE TRUST!

As I've posted in another thread, if either Tilson or Martin had to got TODAY, who would you prefer - considering all the implications that would go with their leaving would mean, I dont just mean they vanished off the face of the earth and everything would be rosey.

TILSON: Legend at the club, obviously loves Southend and has great affinity with majority of fans. Had great success helped by the signing of Eastwood, although has shown tactical naivety at times and makes some odd decisions. Shown he cannot make 'big money' signings and works better picking up lesser known players. Appears to be as depressed as the rest of us and by (almost) his own admission last night, is 'out of ideas'.

MARTIN: Saved the club from extinction and has continued to invest to keep us afloat. Has pushed the stadium plans through further than any other chairman and overseen our most successful periods in our history. But have his plans been too ambitious and is he now playing a deadly game of Russian Roulette with the very future of club? His stubbornness to deviate from 'the plan' or accept investment - coupled with the 'spin' has alienated him from many fans, but if, IF, he can see it through and deliver the stadium as promised, then who knows what the future holds.

As its my poll, I best vote first - and I vote Tilson goes. I dont like Martin and his decisions have absolutely infuriated me at times - but I feel that unless someone steps forward with a multi-million pound sack of cash for him, I doubt he'll leave - and we need that stadium now.

If he pulled the plug and we stayed at Roots Hall, crowds of 11k are not going to allow us to establish in the CCC or even (one day, who knows) flirt with the top division.

Tilson is 'out of ideas' and down in the dumps (rightly so), so perhaps its best we try something and someone else and try to get a foothold back in this division. Someone who can work with a limited budget, be more tactical when required and get some belief back in this squad - as I wager they are going out each week expecting to get beat at the moment.

If they BOTH stay, I cannot see the situation improving. Where are the results going to come from?

Anyways... just for a bit of fun!

I just don't understand your continued desire for Tilson to go. Until we are below where we were when he took over Im happy for him to stay at the helm. This mythical manager you seem to think will be better than Tilson would only be available to us if he has failed elsewhere as I can't see us affording to poach a manager or us being that attractive to anyone else in a job that is doing well. Martin Allen? No thanks.

Also, any success we were to have with a new manager woudl only be a short team fix as that success would see a manager with far less loyalty to us than Tilson, look for a bigger club to progress a managerial career, thus leaving us having to start again.

As fans we bay for blood and cry 'judas' if a player or manager does not show us loyalty. For me, Tilson has done more than enough to expect loyalty from us and to want him out is an insult to what he has achieved.

I just don't understand your continued desire for Tilson to go. Until we are below where we were when he took over Im happy for him to stay at the helm. This mythical manager you seem to think will be better than Tilson would only be available to us if he has failed elsewhere as I can't see us affording to poach a manager or us being that attractive to anyone else in a job that is doing well. Martin Allen? No thanks.

Also, any success we were to have with a new manager woudl only be a short team fix as that success would see a manager with far less loyalty to us than Tilson, look for a bigger club to progress a managerial career, thus leaving us having to start again.

As fans we bay for blood and cry 'judas' if a player or manager does not show us loyalty. For me, Tilson has done more than enough to expect loyalty from us and to want him out is an insult to what he has achieved.

Why should we be back at square one before we attempt to change things to advance

I have a feeling that pboreham is an agent for an out of work manager who is keen to take over at the Blues?

Neither should go. Martin is doing his best to build the stadium all be it I think he has bitten off more than he can chew and Tilson has worked wonders when he had the resources but has struggled of late when he hasnt had the funds.

For both the stadium (or lack of) respresnts sucess (or faliure) - end of for me.

Any manager that has been a success, has also failed somewhere else!

I similarly cannot understand the continued blinkered opinion that Tilson is the be-all-and-end-all when he has shown time and again that he cannot tactically outthink another team, nor make telling substitutions (to the point where you can probably count on 1 hand times Tilsons subs have had a positive impact on a result).

Dont get me wrong, I do genuinely like the guy and as I say, for our level at the moment, he is acceptable - but if we want to push on then we need something with a bit more about them - love for the club and loyalty is not always going to get results.

His loyalty is to be admired - no question. But you also have to question if he has confidence in his own ability. If he genuinely was offered the Norwich job, wouldnt he have wanted to test himself? Why dont more clubs come in for him?

Spot on. The trouble is "football fans"" don't see it that way, and loyalty is a one way street.

Any manager that has been a success, has also failed somewhere else!

I similarly cannot understand the continued blinkered opinion that Tilson is the be-all-and-end-all when he has shown time and again that he cannot tactically outthink another team, nor make telling substitutions (to the point where you can probably count on 1 hand times Tilsons subs have had a positive impact on a result).

Dont get me wrong, I do genuinely like the guy and as I say, for our level at the moment, he is acceptable - but if we want to push on then we need something with a bit more about them - love for the club and loyalty is not always going to get results.

His loyalty is to be admired - no question. But you also have to question if he has confidence in his own ability. If he genuinely was offered the Norwich job, wouldnt he have wanted to test himself? Why dont more clubs come in for him?

Agreed its the sun shines out of Tilsons arse brigade

SSOOTAB's

Shame the Ann Summers bloke has bought Wet Sham, he could have taken over and rammed very large dildos up the bottoms of the players to give them a boost. I am sure they would run quicker if they thought they were going to be "approached from the rear" with large plastic phalluses.

That's the kind of chairman we want.

My two penneth...

I've voted for neither to go and I stick by that - firmly. Both have achieved great things for Southend United and I completely believe that both have the best interests of the club at heart. However, the shortcomings of both men are currenty being exposed and I feel both need to swallow their pride and actively seek to address those limitations.

Tilly - his primary deficiency, in my opinion, is tactical naivety. This can be addressed, perhaps by the employment of an experienced tactician/coach (NOT Peter Taylor!!! ...or Theo Foley!!) or at least through some sort of mentoring arrangement if the LMA have set this up yet. This does not need to affect Brushys coaching role.

Ron - the man has the right vision and also deep pockets. However, due to factors outside Ron's control the macro economic environment has changed as have local cost factors on the project. He needs to seek investment, not like we had with Delancey, but perhaps offering a minority stake in the overall project and this the eventual property profits. This will help the stadium get over the line, provide funds to strengthen the team and - importantly - maintain control for Ron. As the well worn phrase goes, a big slice of something is better than all of nothing, which is where I fear we may be headed as things stand.

It is time for big men to take big decisions, swallowing pride as they do. e

Last edited:
My two penneth...

I've voted for neither to go and I stick by that - firmly. Both have achieved great things for Southend United and I completely believe that both have the best interests of the club at heart. However, the shortcomings of both men are currenty brig exposed and I feel both need to swallow their pride and actively seek to address those limitations.

Tilly - his primary deficiency, in my opinion, is tactical naivety. This can be addressed, perhaps by the employment of an experienced coach (NOT Peter Taylor!!! ...or Theo Foley!!) or at least through some sort of mentoring arrangement if the LMA have set this up yet.

Ron - the man has the right vision and also deep pockets. However, due to factors outside Ron's control the macro economic environment has changed as have local cost factors on the project. He needs to seek investment, not like we had with Delancey, but perhaps offering a minority stake in the overall project and this the eventual property profits. This will help the stadium get over the line, provide funds to strengthen the team and - importantly - maintain control for Ron. As the well worn phrase goes, a big slice of something is better than all of nothing, which is where I fear we may be headed as things stand.

It is time for big men to take big decisions, swallowing pride as they do. e

Great post tbf.

Shame the Ann Summers bloke has bought Wet Sham, he could have taken over and rammed very large dildos up the bottoms of the players to give them a boost. I am sure they would run quicker if they thought they were going to be "approached from the rear" with large plastic phalluses.

That's the kind of chairman we want.

Sadly that rumour proved to be a fallacy.

Back