• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Who goes??

I know the salary cap was voted in, but didn’t the PFSA take action to stop it, saying it was unenforceable?
As with the changes to finish the season its only enforceable or unenforceable if it goes to court and there is a ruling. With the ending of the season the EFL relied on the fact no-one would, and they got lucky in that all the clubs relegated were broke.

Until the PFA tries to go to court then the rule apply. And if they lose they will apply after. So I expect to an extent the PFA will keep their powder dry as once a court backs it caps, like Bosman, become a permanent feature...

The Echo story "Concerns grow" etc is interesting on the subject of why Klass is not counting against the 23 registrations. If I read it right players don't just fill a registration places by default the club must have taken some particular action in the run up to this season to include them. If that's so does it mean the chance to leave headroom was overlooked or someone thought it wasn't needed?

Yes. CP says:

"The club could have made things slightly easier for themselves by delaying registering certain players – just like they have with Michael Klass – to enable stronger and more experienced signings."

Have we balls-ed this up big time by not knowing the rules ourselves? Or by being over optimistic in terms of lifting the embargo. The 75% wage issue is huge. We're not going to be able to register Akinola by letting MMN go if that is the case? Even selling Kelman might not work, because Akinola will probably be on more than him.

Yes. CP says:

"The club could have made things slightly easier for themselves by delaying registering certain players – just like they have with Michael Klass – to enable stronger and more experienced signings."

Have we balls-ed this up big time by not knowing the rules ourselves? Or by being over optimistic in terms of lifting the embargo. The 75% wage issue is huge. We're not going to be able to register Akinola by letting MMN go if that is the case? Even selling Kelman might not work, because Akinola will probably be on more than him.
if there is a 75% wage issue...

if there is a 75% wage issue...

That makes it worse, for sure. But we still have the problem of one in, one out when maybe we needn't if we hadn't registered people like MMN, Rush, Kinali, Kyps, Taylor (I think)

Maybe I've misunderstood what CP is getting at

That makes it worse, for sure. But we still have the problem of one in, one out when maybe we needn't if we hadn't registered people like MMN, Rush, Kinali, Kyps, Taylor (I think)

It’s not about registering them, its the fact the played first team football, so if they are on a pro contract they count towards the squad number after one game under an embargo (if I understand that part correctly.

The issue of 75% i am not clear on at all.
Assuming the 75% is not an issue then we can loan out and replace them that way surely

Where has this 75% thing come from? Did I miss seeing it be revealed as definitely the case? Surely McCormack isn’t on less than 75% of what Humphrys was on?

It’s not about registering them, its the fact the played first team football, so if they are on a pro contract they count towards the squad number after one game under an embargo (if I understand that part correctly.

The issue of 75% i am not clear on at all.
Assuming the 75% is not an issue then we can loan out and replace them that way surely

That was how I understood it originally. It was CPs comments about how we could have made things easier by delaying registering certain players that confused me. Has CP got it wrong?

MMN, Rush, Kinali, Kyps, Taylor had all played more than 1 second in the first team and had been given new contracts or were already on contract. I think they can only not count by getting rid of them (who can't just de-register them unless they have actually left). I don't know how its working with Klass- probably his contract expired so technically he left. We have now re-signed him but as with Akinola have not registered him?

If we could have let MMN, Rush, Kinali, Kyps all go at the end of last season, I guess we could then have done a U-turn and said oh hold on we want to re-sign you. And then not registered them. So maybe we did miss a "trick". Although how that then affects any future entitlements to compensation relating to younger players is another factor.

But how absurd- you have to let youngsters contracts expire, leave them without a club for a couple of weeks, then re-sign them but don't register them. Might not have worked with Kyps as he has a year to run? Kinali we could have not taken up his option and re-signed him I guess?

Although that might have kept us inside whatever regulations apply such an approach if it were not seen as isolated would be seen as against at least the spirit of the regulations. And just because something is not specifically covered in the regulations does not mean action would not be taken to plug the hole?

Last edited:
MMN, Rush, Kinali, Kyps, Taylor had all played more than 1 second in the first team and had been given new contracts or were already on contract. I think they can only not count by getting rid of them (who can't just de-register them unless they have actually left). I don't know how its working with Klass- probably his contract expired so technically he left. We have now re-signed him but as with Akinola have not registered him?

If we could have let MMN, Rush, Kinali, Kyps all go at the end of last season, I guess we can then have done a U-turn and said oh hold on we want to re-sign you. And the not registered them. So maybe we did miss a "trick". But how absurd- you have to let youngsters contracts expire, leave them without a club for a couple of weeks, then re-sign them but don't register them. Might not have worked with Kyps as he has a year to run? Kinali we could have not taken up his option and resigned?

That's what I thought too. And it is ludicrous. But what was CP's point then? He is basically saying the club messed up by registering young players when they needn't have done.

That was how I understood it originally. It was CPs comments about how we could have made things easier by delaying registering certain players that confused me. Has CP got it wrong?
i think he was referring to Akinola, who as I understand isnt registered yet as McCormack to the SH spot, so while he is getting fit they wont so they can free up space.

Seems odd as we need him out there

i think he was referring to Akinola, who as I understand isnt registered yet as McCormack to the SH spot, so while he is getting fit they wont so they can free up space.

Seems odd as we need him out there
Agree. If current players have played in the first team and we hold their registration thats it. Only way to get rid of the registration is to sell (or possibly loan, although thats something else that isn't clear).

Where has this 75% thing come from? Did I miss seeing it be revealed as definitely the case? Surely McCormack isn’t on less than 75% of what Humphrys was on?

It comes from the FL regulations and surely McCormack, a 36yo unattached free agent signing in the current economic climate for a L2 club once the season is already underway, will be on 75% or less than a L1 starter was?

If McCormack is on more than 75% of what Humphrys was we should be protesting outside Ron’s house as our financial problems will never go away.

It comes from the FL regulations and surely McCormack, a 36yo unattached free agent signing in the current economic climate for a L2 club once the season is already underway, will be on 75% or less than a L1 starter was?

If McCormack is on more than 75% of what Humphrys was we should be protesting outside Ron’s house as our financial problems will never go away.

Truem although Humphrys was said to have had a relegation % wage decrease clause in his contract.

Reactions: GBJ
I presume Akinola isn’t getting a wage currently as he’s not part of the 23 , so is he even a Southend player ?

the embargo rules are designed to assist lowering the wage bill while allowing clubs to fulfil fixtures.

this is what is know as a soft transfer embargo -can’t pay transfer fees , can’t pay loan fees - hence spurs wanting a loan fee and that loan not happening , can’t pay agent fees and any incoming player must be on maximum of 75% of out going players contractual wage .

strange that all the experience players are injured at once ? When does the furlong scheme end ? 4 experienced players out would cut roughly 8 k off the wage bill .... how much was paid off of the tax bill ?

I presume Akinola isn’t getting a wage currently as he’s not part of the 23 , so is he even a Southend player ?

the embargo rules are designed to assist lowering the wage bill while allowing clubs to fulfil fixtures.

this is what is know as a soft transfer embargo -can’t pay transfer fees , can’t pay loan fees - hence spurs wanting a loan fee and that loan not happening , can’t pay agent fees and any incoming player must be on maximum of 75% of out going players contractual wage .

strange that all the experience players are injured at once ? When does the furlong scheme end ? 4 experienced players out would cut roughly 8 k off the wage bill .... how much was paid off of the tax bill ?

Why wouldn’t Akinola be getting paid? He’s still an employee.

What’s he employed to do ? He can’t be registered to play football currently and his wage will be dependant who leaves the 23 ....

the embargo has massively reduced the wage bill , can’t just have players on the books getting paid but not registered to play, that’s a breach of EFL ffp and the soft transfer embargo the club is under.

Back