• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Who goes??

I really think that some of our 'fans' get some perverse pleasure when we lose as that gives them the excuse to unleash their vitriol and anyone is fair game, especially young players trying to make their way in the game. It is noticeable those posters who dislike certain players - they can't wait to stick the knife in at the earliest opportunity, even when for example Oxley pulls off a couple of stunning saves its a case of "well thats what he's there to do". i know that we (clearly) don't have the brightest of fan bases, but sometimes its better just to say nothing at all if you can't say something positive or constructive.

I was thinking similar myself earlier on...those that were out on loan last season were nowhere near Conference or even making the starting 11 in some cases. I would say that none of our 23’s would make the starting 11 of a Conference side which shows where we currently are as a team I’m afraid

I dont run a football club, but surely if your 21,22 have come up through the youth system and you arent even rated as good enough to make a conference side, what is the point in having them there in the first place?

Or is it generally that players need to play until they are 25-30 to develop enough skill to break into a first team?

I really think that some of our 'fans' get some perverse pleasure when we lose as that gives them the excuse to unleash their vitriol and anyone is fair game, especially young players trying to make their way in the game. It is noticeable those posters who dislike certain players - they can't wait to stick the knife in at the earliest opportunity, even when for example Oxley pulls off a couple of stunning saves its a case of "well thats what he's there to do". i know that we (clearly) don't have the brightest of fan bases, but sometimes its better just to say nothing at all if you can't say something positive or constructive.

That was one of the worst comments I’ve read all weekend. He makes some excellent saves and makes up for having a poor weekend stops our score from being more than 2. There really is no pleasing some people!

my dad used to say keepers shouldn't get man of the match coz that's what they are there for. I think the same can be said of every player. Doing something well is still doing something well. Being the best player is being the best player, whatever position

Exactly and if we go off that logic shall we take away Darryl Flahavan’s man of the match award for the United game.

worth pointing out Clifford went from Conference South to looking comfortable in our first XI last season. A loan can be the making of a player, even several levels below

Agreed, we have several of our younger players out on loan at present, under 23 football is nothing compared to what is termed as mens football. Young players will blossom or fail when they come up against a much more physical approach!

Agreed, we have several of our younger players out on loan at present, under 23 football is nothing compared to what is termed as mens football. Young players will blossom or fail when they come up against a much more physical approach!
Hutch is definitely failing up against a more physical approach.

Exactly and if we go off that logic shall we take away Darryl Flahavan’s man of the match award for the United game.
I can’t remember who, but someone on here, said they were all straightforward saves for Flavs and it was Spinner/Sodje who kept the threat away from him and were the real reason we won along with Freddie. Those 2 saves from Ronaldo are still up there with my best moments as a fan.
Keepers do get so much stick, never enough credit. Oxley is no different.

I can’t remember who, but someone on here, said they were all straightforward saves for Flavs and it was Spinner/Sodje who kept the threat away from him and were the real reason we won along with Freddie. Those 2 saves from Ronaldo are still up there with my best moments as a fan.
Keepers do get so much stick, never enough credit. Oxley is no different.

Keepers do come in for too much stick (That's just from the fans behind the goal!) poor buggers can't run away like the outfield players do. The trouble is if they make a mistake it often leads to a goal but outfield players often get away with it. Having said that, some of their saves can be the highlight of a game and if in the rare event they score a goal, well that is headline making stuff.

The level of ‘support’ is pretty embarrassing sometimes. I rarely witness it myself at Roots Hall, but regularly see direct tweets aimed at players full of abuse. Recently there were several tweets aimed at Hutchinson’s dad too. It’s cringeworthy stuff.

I don’t know what any of these people think they’re achieving. Is getting a tweet full of abuse from a 19 year old wearing a stone island jacket supposed to make Isaac think “right, I better pull my socks up now” ??‍♂️

Shows the utter stupidity of the EFL rules putting clubs in a position where this is even potentially necessary, and penalising clubs who have played youngsters previously should an embargo come along later. Given the current situation many a youngster will now find it harder to get some game time in the first team. Needs changing should the EFL ever wake up.
Must the EFL be blamed for everything? The rules apply to clubs like us that live way beyond their means and fail to meet their legal and financial obligations.

This is not the EFLs doing, it is ours.

Maybe it’s time for drastic measures,

Sell Charlie or Elvis. We are rock bottom and I get the sense they feel that the club in its current state is holding their careers back?

Use the money to pay the salary for a decent goalscorer. It’d have to be a free agent; for example Leon Clarke (If he can stay fit?) or better still Omar Bogle, but probably too good for L2.

I was also going to say Gary Hooper, but I think he’s just signed for a team in India?

Must the EFL be blamed for everything? The rules apply to clubs like us that live way beyond their means and fail to meet their legal and financial obligations.

This is not the EFLs doing, it is ours.
Clearly the EFL shouldn't be blamed for everything any more than Ron, the manager, individual players. By the same token if an EFL regulation has certain consequences I am not sure how it helps to overlook it or indeed pretend otherwise. I know we want absolutely everything to be Ron's fault but that doesn't on every occasion make it so. Again must he be blamed for everything? In the end we can only comment as we see it.

I haven’t seen the game today but sounds like Elvis is doing his best to force a move out?
If he is, it would be great if he looked outstanding in a p*ss poor side like last season so that someone pays up a big fee ?
Obviously I would prefer if he looked outstanding in a fantastic side but.....

Clearly the EFL shouldn't be blamed for everything any more than Ron, the manager, individual players. By the same token if an EFL regulation has certain consequences I am not sure how it helps to overlook it or indeed pretend otherwise. I know we want absolutely everything to be Ron's fault but that doesn't on every occasion make it so. Again must he be blamed for everything? In the end we can only comment as we see it.
I'm certainly not one for blaming Ron for everything, but there's no denying that he has a lot to answer for over the last 2 years. The issue you highlighted is one of them.

Last edited:
I'm certain not one for blaming Ron for everything, but there's no denying that he has a lot to answer for over the last 2 years. The issue you highlighted is one of them.
Well I am still not sure how we can blame Ron for the drafting of EFL regulations that have unintended consequences. The EFL could have drafted the regulations in such a way that they would be both effective and not have those consequences. Whoever you wish to blame its the kids that suffer.

Here's Lee Bowyer on the subject. I think he's right.

Trouble with the EFL regulations that when a club is struggling to bring in someexperience players and halt the slide it will be the young lads that suffer ,because im sure a majority f them are the ones that will have to go to make room for others .

It's probably because i'm not up with the rules but Michael Klass has played before hasn't he. Is it because we haven't registered him for this year he's not taking up a squad place?

Back