• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Who is out of contract at Southend United this summer?

Pretty much agree except if the wages are right then I would offer JD a contract as we will need his aggressive attitude and experience in the NL.

I also think that PB got on reasonably well with Ranger so wouldn't be surprised if we offered him a deal if PB was to stay

Had a good think about this and this is what I think I would do:

Mark Oxley – out of contract - Release
Elvis Bwomono – out of contract - Offer new contract
Nathan Ralph – out of contract - Release
Alan McCormack – out of contract - Release
Shaun Hobson – out of contract - Offer new contract
Tyler Cordner – on loan from Bournemouth - Offer permanent contract
James Olayinka – on loan from Arsenal - Return
Timothee Dieng – out of contract - Release
Simeon Akinola – another year left with the option of a further 12 months
Brandon Goodship – out of contract - Release
Terrell Egbri – further option of a year - Take option
Tom Clifford – further option of a year - Take option
Harry Seaden – further option of a year - Take option
Rob Howard – further option of a year - Take option
Lewis Gard – further option of a year - Release
Harry Phillips – year remaining with the option of a further year
Reeco Hackett-Fairchild – on loan from Portsmouth - Return
Emile Acquah – out of contract - Offer new contract
Eren Kinali – out of contract - Offer new contract
Ashley Nathaniel- George – year remaining
Matt Rush – option of a further year - Take option
Richard Taylor – out of contract - Release
Greg Halford – out of contract - Release
Jason Demetriou – out of contract - Offer new contract if the price is right
Michael Klass – out of contract - Release
Harry Lennon – out of contract - Release
Harry Kyprianou – out of contract - Release
Kyle Taylor – on loan from Bournemouth - Return
Jacob Mellis – option of a further year - Release
Miles Mitchell-Nelson – out of contract - Release
Ricky Holmes – out of contract - Offer new contract if the price is right
Louis Walsh – another year remaining
Sam Hart – out of contract - Release
Nathan Ferguson – year remaining with an option of a further 12 months
John White – out of contract - Offer new contract
Nile Ranger – out of contract - Release
Manager Phil Brown - out of contract - Undecided

Then I think we’d need quite a few new faces. Bit of a wish list below:

GK
[New signing - Chris Haigh]
Harry Seaden

RB
Elvis Bwomono
Rob Howard

CB
John White
Shaun Hobson
Tyler Cordner
[New signing - experienced centre back]

LB
Tom Clifford
[New signing - left back]

RM
Terrell Egbri
Ashley Nathaniel-George

CM
Nathan Ferguson
[New signing - attacking midfielder]
Jason Demetriou [or New signing - experienced central midfielder]
Ricky Holmes [or New signing - attacking midfielder]

LM
Simeon Akinola
Louis Walsh

ST
[New signing - Kabongo Tshimanga]
[New signing - experienced target man - Alex Wall?]
Matt Rush
[New signing - target man]
Emile Acquah

That would give us a base of:

Haigh
Bwomono, White, Hobson, Clifford
Egbri, Ferguson, N/S, Akinola
Tshimanga, N/S

Seaden
Howard, N/S, Cordner, N/S
ANG, Demi/N/S, Holmes/N/S, Walsh
Rush, N/S
With Phillips, Kinali and Acquah making up a 25 man squad. But if Elvis, White, Hobson, Demi and Holmes don’t stay and Cordner doesn’t sign, it’ll be an even bigger rebuilding job in the summer.

Last edited:
Keep Ranger.

Swallow your pried or name a better non league striker we could easily sign.

Five years ago I would‘ve snapped your hand off for him in non-league. But at 30 years old, 3 years out the professional game and massive question marks over long term fitness, I’d rather have someone we can rely on.

Before any decisions on contracts etc can be made, the budget needs to be set

I'd keep Ferguson and Hobson as a decent spine if we could get Cordner too that would be good. A few of the youngsters worth persevering with like Egbri and Clifford. The striker force needs completely revamping. Would not keep any of them bar Rush.

I'll go out on a limb and say that I would also keep Acquah. He has progressed, albeit slowly, and his bulk and strength would be useful in the NL.

Of the senior players still under contract I'd absolutely keep Akinola. Scored 16 goals last time he played at this level and will be a threat in a team that actually gets the ball to him to his feet.

He's certainly been struggling with his confidence but I'm surprised he seems to have been sidelined. Maybe it is a slight knock, he missed a game or two back in April with one I seem to remember. Can't be ability if he's picking Halford upfront ahead of him. If Brown thinks his attitude isn't right, maybe he should look back to the start of the season when he patiently waited three months for this basket case of a club to sort out its finances while he couldn't play due to a transfer embargo.

Ferguson too reads the game very well and has certainly made a difference to us defensively, which surprised me a bit as I thought he was brought in as an attacking player.

ANG seems to be totally out of favour. Has his moments but may be too much of a luxury player for the NL and for Brown.

Ranger deserves a six-month contract because he's worked very hard by all accounts and hasn't really had the second chance that he got. Releasing him now would seem to be an odd one and Brown obviously likes him so I think he'll stay.

I'd keep Ferguson and Hobson as a decent spine if we could get Cordner too that would be good. A few of the youngsters worth persevering with like Egbri and Clifford. The striker force needs completely revamping. Would not keep any of them bar Rush.
I would keep Rush think Arnola could do a job at National League level maybe along side Ranger.

Am I the only one thinking that if any of our out of contract players receives an offer from a league club it is unrealistic to expect them to stay with us?
Given what has happened over the past few years and our all too frequent cash flow problems money is an issue. To begin the new season by paying off even one let alone more of the very few players who are still contracted to us seems a peculiar form of madness.
Could we really be contemplating this?
We also have to be careful how much we offer any older players we may try to sign.
Alan McCormack was a fine player, and, he is still effective when he plays. When he plays being the operative phrase. Before signing with us he had played 102 games in six seasons which averages out at seventeen games a season. This yea with us he made nineteen appearances which was about what we could expect. If he was a low earner this was an acceptable piece of business, but, whatever wages he was on essentially double if he is only available to play in half the games.
An early managerial appointment with a clearly defined budget is a must. But this is Southend so do not hold your breath!

How has be progressed?.
He plays in a role that is difficult for youngsters and he will continue to improve as he gains experience, nous and confidence.

Look at Freddie Ladapo with us versus now. Jonson Clarke-Harris with us versus now.

Acquah was a major part of our best 60 minutes of attacking football all season at Oldham. We annihilated them and yes, he missed his chances and we didn't score, but find me a striker who doesn't miss chances. He was an inch from scoring with his header. When he got hauled off, we barely created a thing afterwards. Molesley was accused of going defensive. In reality, he took off the threat and the cause for our dominance so we looked more defensive.

I don't think he is a particularly good footballer, his touch and striking technique is probably below par, and he wouldn't be a professional if he was average size and build. But he isn't that, so we don't need to measure him as that. Has the team been better with him on the field than without this season? Yes. Is a battering ram a very useful asset in the National League? Yes.

If he starts scoring goals he would become a very valuable asset. Plenty of people didn't rate Corr until he started scoring too. Their role in a team is the most misunderstood role in the game by fans.

Keep Ranger.

Swallow your pried or name a better non league striker we could easily sign.

The people who want a 30 year old wrong'un with about 20 career goals are the ones with no pride.

He started the problems and by re-signing him we condemned ourselves to the NL. So far he has done nothing but damage to SUFC and he has no respect for the club or the mugs that idolise him.

PB is no fan of Nile and lets hope he isn't still trying to ponce money off other young players. Never mind though his next court case should settle any debate.

How has be progressed?.

He reads the game better, he holds up the ball better, he even wins a handful of headers now. His ball control has always been OK. Certainly opposition iFollow commentators have seen him as a threat and so have opposition defenders. As a lone target man, which is how we have usually played him, he isn't going to be effective but with a striker up alongside him he could certainly do a job for us. Also, unlike so many of our players, he doesn't get injured regularly despite being in tough games.

He plays in a role that is difficult for youngsters and he will continue to improve as he gains experience, nous and confidence.

Look at Freddie Ladapo with us versus now. Jonson Clarke-Harris with us versus now.

Acquah was a major part of our best 60 minutes of attacking football all season at Oldham. We annihilated them and yes, he missed his chances and we didn't score, but find me a striker who doesn't miss chances. He was an inch from scoring with his header. When he got hauled off, we barely created a thing afterwards. Molesley was accused of going defensive. In reality, he took off the threat and the cause for our dominance so we looked more defensive.

I don't think he is a particularly good footballer, his touch and striking technique is probably below par, and he wouldn't be a professional if he was average size and build. But he isn't that, so we don't need to measure him as that. Has the team been better with him on the field than without this season? Yes. Is a battering ram a very useful asset in the National League? Yes.

If he starts scoring goals he would become a very valuable asset. Plenty of people didn't rate Corr until he started scoring too. Their role in a team is the most misunderstood role in the game by fans.
Well said. I doubt he'll be here next season, but it's lazy to suggest he hasn't improved

Well said. I doubt he'll be here next season, but it's lazy to suggest he hasn't improved
I suppose he has improved in the sense he couldn't get any worse. Him and Goodship are two of the worst strikers i have seen at the club in 30 years of watching and they are both in the same bloody team!.

I remember when we got relegated to L2 people said “ooh we can’t have a total clear out, the experience of Dieng, Demi, White, Elvis, Oxley etc will be invaluable, they’re good enough” etc. That didn’t work out too well and I suspect it wouldn’t in the NL either. These players aren’t going to improve unlike the younger ones. If they were that good we’d still be in L1. They’re too used to losing in my opinion. At a push I’d keep White.

Back