• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Who is out of contract at Southend United this summer?

I remember when we got relegated to L2 people said “ooh we can’t have a total clear out, the experience of Dieng, Demi, White, Elvis, Oxley etc will be invaluable, they’re good enough” etc. That didn’t work out too well and I suspect it wouldn’t in the NL either. These players aren’t going to improve unlike the younger ones. If they were that good we’d still be in L1. They’re too used to losing in my opinion. At a push I’d keep White.
Agreed. Perpetual losers.

I think a lot of us see there names on paper and think, "that should be good enough" but it clearly isnt.

On the flip side of that argument is buy 3 strikers and we'll win the league.

Up to Brown I guess. But personally a lot of those names on that list have been part of a losing team too long.

My take on who to keep (try to!) And who to release is that of squad.

For example, at LB we only need 2 for the position? And if Ralph is fit over the summer who is the not required from Ralph, Clifford and Hart? Who is worth a 2 year contract, games bonus, extension/release clauses etc.. all stuff for a CEO or very involved Director of Football to be working NOW on.

Squad of 22?

At present we have way to many fringe players, several of who are " work in progress" types and they, for example Emile, Kineli, may be worthy of another contract BUT on the basis of U 23 type squad, not for 2 games a week squad for season.

I think a lot of us see there names on paper and think, "that should be good enough" but it clearly isnt.

Up to Brown I guess. But personally a lot of those names on that list have been part of a losing team too long.

Since the embargo was lifted, we've been the 16th best team in the league. Only 3 teams conceded fewer than us. However, we were still the lowest scoring team afterwards. Turning a few of those 0-0s into wins would have put us in the top 7 (since the embargo was lifted).

Our problem wasn't with the squad, it was doing everything several weeks later than we should have done. 5 points from first 14 games with a shocking goal difference is what relegated us.

I think the Col U game did it for me, the most important game potentially in our history and to make it worse, they rack up two wins when it’s too late and not just that, come from behind. Nah, just not feeling the love.

Since the embargo was lifted, we've been the 16th best team in the league. Only 3 teams conceded fewer than us. However, we were still the lowest scoring team afterwards. Turning a few of those 0-0s into wins would have put us in the top 7 (since the embargo was lifted).

Our problem wasn't with the squad, it was doing everything several weeks later than we should have done. 5 points from first 14 games with a shocking goal difference is what relegated us.
Fair points, but do you have total confidence that those players (with the addition of strikers) will win the league next year? As thats what we need to do. (Or come 2nd).

Teams are gonna be relishing coming down to the hall and taking us down another peg.

I think the Col U game did it for me, the most important game potentially in our history and to make it worse, they rack up two wins when it’s too late and not just that, come from behind. Nah, just not feeling the love.
Yeah that was a total **** take. Final nail in the coffin that one.

I think Tyrrell, Rush, Clifford and Hobson need to be offered decent terms as all will be good at conference level and are young enough to improve and bring in potential transfer fees in the future.

I like Dieng but I suspect he will be snapped up by a league team, Demi knows we are as good as it gets for him now but I don't want to see him play for us ever again. There are so many of that team either way past their best or simply not good enough and that is why we are down.

Ranger is an interesting one, he looked good at League One level, so if he gets a good pre season and earns the right to be part of next season what a player for conference level he could be...but this really all depends on his attitude which we all know to date has been very suspect.

Fair points, but do you have total confidence that those players (with the addition of strikers) will win the league next year? As thats what we need to do. (Or come 2nd).

Teams are gonna be relishing coming down to the hall and taking us down another peg.

Win the league? No, I don't have confidence in this team.

Even with the addition of two quality strikers and a good manager, I think we will be pushing for the playoffs. That is before we lose any players.

Pretty much agree except if the wages are right then I would offer JD a contract as we will need his aggressive attitude and experience in the NL.

I also think that PB got on reasonably well with Ranger so wouldn't be surprised if we offered him a deal if PB was to stay

I'm not at all sure PB would want to keep Nile - I think he tried really hard to help him but, in doing so, upset other players who were abiding by the rules and was a big factor in PB losing his job.

Further to what I wrote elsewhere, this is what I would do with those:

Mark Oxley – out of contract
Elvis Bwomono – out of contract
Nathan Ralph – out of contract
Alan McCormack – out of contract

Shaun Hobson – out of contract - OFFER CONTRACT
Tyler Cordner – on loan from Bournemouth - OFFER CONTRACT
James Olayinka – on loan from Arsenal
Timothee Dieng – out of contract

Simeon Akinola – another year left with the option of a further 12 months - SELL
Brandon Goodship – out of contract
Terrell Egbri – further option of a year - EXTEND CONTRACT
Tom Clifford – further option of a year - EXTEND CONTRACT
Harry Seaden – further option of a year - EXTEND CONTRACT
Rob Howard – further option of a year - EXTEND CONTRACT
Lewis Gard – further option of a year
Harry Phillips – year remaining with the option of a further year - KEEP
Reeco Hackett-Fairchild – on loan from Portsmouth
Emile Acquah – out of contract

Eren Kinali – out of contract - OFFER CONTRACT
Ashley Nathaniel- George – year remaining - KEEP
Matt Rush – option of a further year - EXTEND CONTRACT
Richard Taylor – out of contract
Greg Halford – out of contract
Jason Demetriou – out of contract
Michael Klass – out of contract
Harry Lennon – out of contract
Harry Kyprianou – out of contract
Kyle Taylor – on loan from Bournemouth
Jacob Mellis – option of a further year
Miles Mitchell-Nelson – out of contract

Ricky Holmes – out of contract - OFFER CONTRACT
Louis Walsh – another year remaining - KEEP
Sam Hart – out of contract
Nathan Ferguson – year remaining with an option of a further 12 months - SELL
John White – out of contract - OFFER CONTRACT
Nile Ranger – out of contract
Manager Phil Brown - out of contract - OFFER CONTRACT
I agree with the vast majority of these although quite a few of the extend/offer contract players may well go to EFL clubs.

Further to what I wrote elsewhere, this is what I would do with those:

Shaun Hobson – out of contract - OFFER CONTRACT
Tyler Cordner – on loan from Bournemouth - OFFER CONTRACT
Timothee Dieng – out of contract

Simeon Akinola – another year left with the option of a further 12 months - SELL
Brandon Goodship – out of contract
Terrell Egbri – further option of a year - EXTEND CONTRACT
Tom Clifford – further option of a year - EXTEND CONTRACT
Harry Seaden – further option of a year - EXTEND CONTRACT
Rob Howard – further option of a year - EXTEND CONTRACT
Lewis Gard – further option of a year
Harry Phillips – year remaining with the option of a further year - KEEP
Emile Acquah – out of contract

Eren Kinali – out of contract - OFFER CONTRACT
Ashley Nathaniel- George – year remaining - KEEP
Matt Rush – option of a further year - EXTEND CONTRACT
Richard Taylor – out of contract
Jason Demetriou – out of contract
Michael Klass – out of contract
Jacob Mellis – option of a further year
Miles Mitchell-Nelson – out of contract

Ricky Holmes – out of contract - OFFER CONTRACT
Louis Walsh – another year remaining - KEEP
Sam Hart – out of contract
Nathan Ferguson – year remaining with an option of a further 12 months - SELL
John White – out of contract - OFFER CONTRACT
Nile Ranger – out of contract
Manager Phil Brown - out of contract - OFFER CONTRACT

This is where I'm at more or less point for point. Surprised that you have Gard to be released. I think the club will stick by him so he can recover, similar to Ted Smith. This is where Holmes could show us how much of a supporter he is. Kyrianou is one I think may sneak in a deal if PB is in charge. Seeing a bit of a pattern with Ferguson and Akinola [and ANG to be fair]. Has anything concrete been said about those three? I know they haven't played that raises suspicion but other than that I feel like I've missed something.

I remember when we got relegated to L2 people said “ooh we can’t have a total clear out, the experience of Dieng, Demi, White, Elvis, Oxley etc will be invaluable, they’re good enough” etc. That didn’t work out too well and I suspect it wouldn’t in the NL either. These players aren’t going to improve unlike the younger ones. If they were that good we’d still be in L1. They’re too used to losing in my opinion. At a push I’d keep White.
To be fair to those people, we weren't banking on being embargoed until December. The idea, i believe, was to add further decent signings in time for the new season. Of course, we not only started the season with a horrendously imbalanced squad, but one that barely had any kind of meaningful pre-season.

The squad looks big because it includes u23s who were forced into first team action before they were ready.
I thought that then I looked more closely. Very few in that category (and most playing in the u23s aren’t in the list)- some we tend to forget the passing of time and think they are u23s but they aren’t anymore.

He's going to League 1 at the lowest, there are 4 L1 clubs sniffing around already.

Well that’s that then. There’s a few decent looking Conference South strikers in Ryan Seager and 6ft 3 Harvey Bradbury (son of Lee) I wouldn’t mind us looking at. I feel like we should really clear the decks as much as possible and bring in young, bright talent. The last thing we need is to chase more big names on the way down.

This is where I'm at more or less point for point. Surprised that you have Gard to be released. I think the club will stick by him so he can recover, similar to Ted Smith.
I've said elsewhere, he was the one I had most trouble over. I'd love to keep him but two big injuries in two years - do we have the luxury going into the NL of being able to give him that kind of security?

Shaun Hobson – out of contract OFFER
Tyler Cordner – on loan from Bournemouth

Timothee Dieng – out of contract OFFER
Simeon Akinola – another year left with the option of a further 12 months
Brandon Goodship – out of contract OFFER
Terrell Egbri – further option of a year EXTEND

Tom Clifford – further option of a year EXTEND
Harry Seaden – further option of a year EXTEND
Rob Howard – further option of a year EXTEND

Lewis Gard – further option of a year EXTEND
Harry Phillips – year remaining with the option of a further year

Emile Acquah – out of contract OFFER
Eren Kinali – out of contract OFFER

Ashley Nathaniel- George – year remaining
Matt Rush – option of a further year EXTEND
Richard Taylor – out of contract OFFER
Jason Demetriou – out of contract OFFER
Michael Klass – out of contract OFFER

Jacob Mellis – option of a further year EXTEND
Miles Mitchell-Nelson – out of contract OFFER
Ricky Holmes – out of contract OFFER

Louis Walsh – another year remaining

Sam Hart – out of contract OFFER
Nathan Ferguson – year remaining with an option of a further 12 months
John White – out of contract OFFER
Nile Ranger – out of contract OFFER
Manager Phil Brown - out of contract OFFER

Genuinely surprised how many people still want acquah to be our striker, maybe we should give goodship another try as well?

Genuinely surprised how many people still want acquah to be our striker, maybe we should give goodship another try as well?

Bit harsh. They are totally different. Goodship was signed as a senior player, albeit one who had only really produced at non-league level. Technically he's ok, but he's nowhere near physical enough for the lower leagues. He's had three seasons in and around the first team now. If he was going to produce the goods, he would have done it.

Acquah is a local lad who is still only 20 or 21 years old, who has shown some promise playing as a target man. He's not yet quite good enough to be leading that line in L2, but the technical side of his game and the experience that is essential to play that role will only improve. People are judging him like he isn't a youth team player thrown into a tough environment (in a team that creates next to nothing) before he was ready.

I would keep him, if the money is right. He'd be fourth or fifth choice, but other posters are right to say he has improved. It's a very tough position to play.

Bit harsh. They are totally different. Goodship was signed as a senior player, albeit one who had only really produced at non-league level. Technically he's ok, but he's nowhere near physical enough for the lower leagues. He's had three seasons in and around the first team now. If he was going to produce the goods, he would have done it.

Acquah is a local lad who is still only 20 or 21 years old, who has shown some promise playing as a target man. He's not yet quite good enough to be leading that line in L2, but the technical side of his game and the experience that is essential to play that role will only improve. People are judging him like he isn't a youth team player thrown into a tough environment (in a team that creates next to nothing) before he was ready.

I would keep him, if the money is right. He'd be fourth or fifth choice, but other posters are right to say he has improved. It's a very tough position to play.
Fourth or fifth choice ok i guess.

Back