• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Who is out of contract at Southend United this summer?

I thought that then I looked more closely. Very few in that category (and most playing in the u23s aren’t in the list)- some we tend to forget the passing of time and think they are u23s but they aren’t anymore.

Other than Kyprianou which former academy players on the list are no longer eligible for the u23s?

If you don't offer Elvis a new deal you don't get any money for him, so you'd be throwing away money.

Not all the players I'd be retaining would be first team squad: some of the youngsters need time to develop.

Mark Oxley – out of contract
Elvis Bwomono – out of contract - OFFER NEW DEAL
Nathan Ralph – out of contract
Alan McCormack – out of contract

Shaun Hobson – out of contract - OFFER NEW DEAL
Tyler Cordner – on loan from Bournemouth - OFFER NEW DEAL
James Olayinka – on loan from Arsenal - IF HE WANTS TO COME BACK I'D HAVE HIM BACK
Timothee Dieng – out of contract - OFFER NEW DEAL
Simeon Akinola – another year left with the option of a further 12 months
Brandon Goodship – out of contract
Terrell Egbri – further option of a year TAKE OPTION
Tom Clifford – further option of a year TAKE OPTION
Harry Seaden – further option of a year TAKE OPTION
Rob Howard – further option of a year TAKE OPTION
Lewis Gard – further option of a year TAKE OPTION
Harry Phillips – year remaining with the option of a further year
Reeco Hackett-Fairchild – on loan from Portsmouth
Emile Acquah – out of contract - OFFER NEW DEAL
Eren Kinali – out of contract - OFFER NEW DEAL
Ashley Nathaniel- George – year remaining
Matt Rush – option of a further year - TAKE OPTION
Richard Taylor – out of contract - OFFER NEW DEAL
Greg Halford – out of contract
Jason Demetriou – out of contract
Michael Klass – out of contract
Harry Lennon – out of contract
Harry Kyprianou – out of contract

Kyle Taylor – on loan from Bournemouth -IF HE WANTS TO COME BACK I'D HAVE HIM BACK
Jacob Mellis – option of a further year
Miles Mitchell-Nelson – out of contract - OFFER NEW DEAL
Ricky Holmes – out of contract
Louis Walsh – another year remaining
Sam Hart – out of contract
Nathan Ferguson – year remaining with an option of a further 12 months
John White – out of contract - OFFER NEW DEAL
Nile Ranger – out of contract
Manager Phil Brown - out of contract

if they all said yes you have a 22 man squad already. We’ve been relegated twice. Need to move players on.

if they all said yes you have a 22 man squad already. We’ve been relegated twice. Need to move players on.

I only offered contracts to two players who don't qualify for the u23s!

Now some of them will be first team squad players if they return but the likes of Seaden, Mitchell-Nelson, Kinali, Phillips, Walsh, Richard Taylor, Howard, Gard, Rush, Acquah etc would be u23s who might step up to the first team but also might spend part of the year out on loan playing regular first team football before making that step up.

Harry Phillips is 24 in September....to give it some context he’s a year older than Elvis or Stephen Humphrys...nearly (1 month short) 2 years older than Lewis Gard....nearly 3 years older than Emile or Isaac Hutchinson.....4 older than Terrel / Taylor / MmN / Rush.....5 older than Kelman...

Harry Phillips is 24 in September....to give it some context he’s a year older than Elvis...

Big year for him then. Wouldn't be surprised to see him leave in January if not pushing to be at least a regular on the bench.

agree with the vast majority of this assuming anyone you’ve not commented on you’re letting go. I’d probably keep Akinola and Ferguson and let Egbri and Kinali go.
Unless we have a budget to change the whole squad, I wouldn’t let Egbri go. He has been one of the few highlights in recent weeks, since he came back from injury. Even Brown has commended his efforts to the cause. You want to keep Akinola. Do you think he will suddenly start scoring?

Big year for him then. Wouldn't be surprised to see him leave in January if not pushing to be at least a regular on the bench.

He has talent but big question marks over his mentality and fitness. I’m not saying he will or won’t make it, but it frustrates me to see other young players, who are ahead of him already and have 1/2/3 years on him age wise, written off as not good enough or not improved enough when he retains a perceived ‘young player with potential’ reputation.

Dieng should go. The guy is way too good for NL or even L2. Ability wise he is very much in his comfort zone. The fact that he sticks around at Southend as we keep sinking further must say something about his drive and ambition. I know that sounds harsh, maybe it's more simple and he just loves the seafood in Leigh.

Harry Phillips is 24 in September....to give it some context he’s a year older than Elvis or Stephen Humphrys...nearly (1 month short) 2 years older than Lewis Gard....nearly 3 years older than Emile or Isaac Hutchinson.....4 older than Terrel / Taylor / MmN / Rush.....5 older than Kelman...
If your not making the grade at 23 then probably best to move on. He didn't play much when we was under transfer embargo.

If your not making the grade at 23 then probably best to move on. He didn't play much when we was under transfer embargo.

Played 90 minutes in the 3 EFL trophy games and 11 minutes in the Harrogate game.

17 league games sat on the bench in the first half of the season, then not a single one after the start of the new year.

In comparison, Kenny Coker got more minutes in the league than he did, although in a different position. Lewis Gard got more minutes in the league too (he started the Harrogate game) and probably would have been getting a decent amount of game time if he didn't get injured.

He's a weird one Phillips. Was very highly rated but whenever I've seen him recently (in the 23s) I've not really been that impressed, or he's at least not stood out. I'd have thought he'd be gone in the summer

Played 90 minutes in the 3 EFL trophy games and 11 minutes in the Harrogate game.

17 league games sat on the bench in the first half of the season, then not a single one after the start of the new year.

In comparison, Kenny Coker got more minutes in the league than he did, although in a different position. Lewis Gard got more minutes in the league too (he started the Harrogate game) and probably would have been getting a decent amount of game time if he didn't get injured.
Clearly he has struggled to break into the first team in the last 4 years, and we had 4/5 managers in that time so he clearly hasn't impressed. Personally I wouldn't give him another contract. 23 and you haven't played many first team games, gives you the indication he not good enough or needs a fresh start somewhere else.

I like Egbri and Clifford and would keep them.......I only hope that they can bring enough physicality into, what will be, a pretty tough league. I think Rush will do okay. It's encouraging to see that there seems to be a fairly consistent consensus of who should stay and who should go in this thread.

For what it's worth my thoughts

Not worth the wages
Phil Brown - seem to be in the minority on this one
Mark Oxley
Nathan Ralph
Sam Hart
Alan Mccormack
Brandon Goodship
Jacob Mellis
Greg Halford
Miles Mitchell-Nelson
Richard Taylor
Harry Lennon
Ricky Holmes
Lewis Gard

Take options
Terrell Egbri
Tom Clifford - wouldn't be surprised if we ended up selling him. Probably our most valuable asset
Harry Seaden
Rob Howard

Would offer contracts, but expect them to reject us as they have loftier ambitions
Elvis Bwomono
Timothee Dieng
Shaun Hobson

Would offer short-term contracts due to injury(age)/behaviour concerns
John White
Jason Demetriou
Nile Ranger

One year contracts with options to see how they develop
Emile Acquah - reminder that he initially rejected us last summer, could he do it again?
Eren Kinali
Michael Klass - last chance saloon for him. Good player in him somewhere, attitude questionable?
Harry Kyprianou
Matt Rush

Loans so pretty redundant to the conversation
James Olayinka - too good for us
Reeco Hackett-Fairchild - indifferent if he was to become available
Kyle Taylor -indifferent if he was to become available
Tyler Cordner - would offer him a contract when free agent, but expect he'll find a EFL club

Leaving us with just these still in contract...
Simeon Akinola
Harry Phillips
Ashley Nathaniel- George
Louis Walsh
Nathan Ferguson

So a potential line-up before new signings would be; (433)
Seaden
Howard White Kyprianou Clifford
Dimi Ferguson Klass
ANG Ranger Akinola

Bench - Egbri, Walsh, Phillips, Acquah, Rush, Kinali, youth GK

Makes pretty bleak reading the fact I'd consider offering Ranger, Acquah, Klass and Rush contracts shows the desperate times we're now facing as a club

Phil Brown with Fagan assistant/ Demi- Player/coach role
Duncan between youth and 1st team
Collymore director of Football

Keep- White, Hobson, Clifford, Hart, Egbri, Walsh, Holmes, Rush, Ranger( month by month contract)

Would sell or release everyone else.

Phil Brown with Fagan assistant/ Demi- Player/coach role
Duncan between youth and 1st team
Collymore director of Football

Keep- White, Hobson, Clifford, Hart, Egbri, Walsh, Holmes, Rush, Ranger( month by month contract)

Would sell or release everyone else.

what’s the obsession with white? Cornerstone of a team falling through the leagues. Hardly going to improve is he. Not an inspiring leader or anything. Get him away from this club ASAP.

For what it's worth my thoughts

Not worth the wages
Phil Brown - seem to be in the minority on this one
Mark Oxley I WOULD OFFER HIM A CONTRACT TO SIGN ONLY IF HE MANAGES TO HOLD THE PEN LONG ENOUGH TO SIGN HIS NAME
Nathan Ralph I WOULD KEEP HIM
Sam Hart I WOULD KEEP HIM
Alan Mccormack I WOULD KEEP HIM
Brandon Goodship SHOOT THE KNUT
Jacob Mellis CUT HIS LEGS OFF
Greg Halford SELL HIM AS GLUE
Miles Mitchell-Nelson WHO??
Richard Taylor I WOULD PREFFER DENNIS
Harry Lennon I HOPE THIS KNUT RETIRES TO A FIELD IN THE COUNTRYSIDE
Ricky Holmes KEEP HIM
Lewis Gard KEEP HIM

Take options

Terrell Egbri
Tom Clifford - wouldn't be surprised if we ended up selling him. Probably our most valuable asset
Harry Seaden AS BELOW
Rob Howard I CANT REMEMBER EVER SEEING HIM

Would offer contracts, but expect them to reject us as they have loftier ambitions
Elvis Bwomono
Timothee Dieng A SERIEL FAILURE WHO COULDNT WORK HARD IF HE TRIED< EVERY THING THAT BROWN HATES
Shaun Hobson DEFFO TRY TO KEEP

Would offer short-term contracts due to injury(age)/behaviour concerns
John White
Jason Demetriou
Nile Ranger AGREE ON ALL OF THESE

One year contracts with options to see how they develop
Emile Acquah - reminder that he initially rejected us last summer, could he do it again? GET RID
Eren Kinali KEEP HIM
Michael Klass - last chance saloon for him. Good player in him somewhere, attitude GET RID questionable?
Harry Kyprianou KEEP HIM
Matt Rush KEEP HIM

Loans so pretty redundant to the conversation
James Olayinka - too good for us
Reeco Hackett-Fairchild - indifferent if he was to become available
Kyle Taylor -indifferent if he was to become available
Tyler Cordner - would offer him a contract when free agent, but expect he'll find a EFL club

Leaving us with just these still in contract...
Simeon Akinola ABSOLUTE ****HOUSE SIGNED BY A ****HOUSE
Harry Phillips
Ashley Nathaniel- George ABSOLUTE ****HOUSE SIGNED BY A ****HOUSE
Louis Walsh
Nathan Ferguson ABSOLUTE ****HOUSE SIGNED BY A ****HOUSE

So a potential line-up before new signings would be; (433)
Seaden
Howard White Kyprianou Clifford
Dimi Ferguson Klass
ANG Ranger Akinola

Bench - Egbri, Walsh, Phillips, Acquah, Rush, Kinali, youth GK

Makes pretty bleak reading the fact I'd consider offering Ranger, Acquah, Klass and Rush contracts shows the desperate times we're now facing as a club

Back