• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

tommy tucker

Manager
Ok who do we blame for the lack of transfers yesterday .Phil - Ron or our board All the hipe that Simpson was close That has to be down to Phil Not spending some money now that's got to be down to Ron .Now the question is has Ron lost faith in Phil brown so he wont invest in new players .Or is it more likely we are skint and the tax man will soon come knocking again . Over to you all .

Does it really matter? PB is still manager, Ron is still Chairman, the club is still skint and ShrimperZone is still depressively hard reading.

The problem is we don't know, we don't even know if no-one is to blame. We'll never know. Did PB go after players that were simply out of our price range? Did RM and SK ruin any negotiations? It could be both, it could be neither. We'll never know.

Can't blame Phil. He had a list of 12 strikers and has spent 23 hours a day on the phone to them all, so it cannot possibly be his fault they didn't fancy it.

The game against Fleetwood was terrible in that our team seemed to lack, confidence, direction and desire to win. This comes from Brown. In any business or team the management is all important. If the rank and file lose confidence in the boss it it like a cancer. Brown has signed most of the players we have, so it is his team. I think Ron has lost faith in his manager, who talks a good game but does not show leadership, tactical awareness and belief. He has already talked about a hard season ahead. He should be talking up his team, installing backbone and self belief. Being positive in adversity can work wonders.
It seems players do not want to sign and work with P.B. According to him the phones have been red hot.
Treat people like you would like to be treated yourself, and see the difference.

£14M in debt is to blame.

Over £1bn spent in the Prem. It's only a matter of time until lower league football is done. Enjoy it while you can. :smile:

I don't see a blame game here, we got some good players this window who must have commanded a decent wage so Ron has backed PB. For a club like us there is only so far he can back the manager, I'd rather us stand firm and not overstretch ourselves as a pose to breaking the bank to bring in Simpson. Brown obviously had high standards, I won't say unrealistic as I wouldn't have expected Ferdinand or Cox and we proved we can attract a decent quality of player. I think we always had the back up of Theo and Watt as free agents if we couldn't get the players PB had targeted. After the trophy game and the addition of another CB I wouldn't be surprised if we went to a 5-3-2 as our default and concentrated on defensive solidity. It's from now we can judge PB, his words. Personally I think we have enough to be safe in the division, I would have hoped for a bit more though.

Funny, I saw the complete opposite on Tuesday night.

Can we please stick to the thread. You should be blaming someone because we haven't had enough of that in the last month. Do not say anything positive.

If you have no idea what goes on behind the scenes just make something up but as general rule you can't go wrong if every thing is PB's fault.

I'm not convinced its finances. We're not in a great financial position by any stretch of the imagination, but it can't be awful if Martin is signing off on the (probably not insignificant) wages of Cox and Ferdinand. Plus Brown is hardly backwards in coming forwards with his thoughts and I'm sure he'd have said in the last week or so if needed the Chairman to "loosen the purse strings" as it were.

So then it comes down to a combination of things in my eyes.

1) Players don't want to come here, or are being advised not to do so, because (and I do believe this) Brown's reputation as a poor man manager is common knowledge now and it's putting players and agents off (unless they are desperate or young). And/or because it's common knowledge that Brown doesn't really want to be here himself.

2) Brown has set his sights a little bit too high and used his budget poorly, being able to sign a couple of surprises but then running out of budget to sign additional quality, thus leaving us short.

3) Brown has set his sights a little bit too high and been consumed with trying to get names like Cox and Ferdinand in, and has missed other good and more "realistic" signings as they've slipped under our radar and signed for other similar (in some cases smaller) clubs in our division.

I'm sure there are other possible reasons but either way, we're a bit ****ed. And Brown's motivational words in the press have, I'm sure, done the world of good for an already damaged-looking morale. Can't see anything but struggle now and I'll be disappointed if he survives beyond October. We may not have a playoff squad due to the lack of depth but once injuries are back, we're good enough for mid table. Unfortunately I think Brown's tactical awareness and man management skills will turn us from mid table into relegation candidates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can we please stick to the thread. You should be blaming someone because we haven't had enough of that in the last month. Do not say anything positive.

If you have no idea what goes on behind the scenes just make something up but as general rule you can't go wrong if every thing is PB's fault.

Your incessant support of the wrong man for the job is just as tiresome, I'm sure.

Yes, let us blame someone. Anyone. Let's drag them out into the street and whilst bereft of any facts scream at them in the hope it they will go away and we can replace them with someone else we can blame next time.

Tell you who I blame. I blame places like this. The instant ability to share news and opinions, and the on-going never ending confusion between the two. We didn't have this 20 years ago. We'd pick up the Echo to see if we signed anyone. That's when we found out. No 45 pages internet threads on someone who we might be looking at, but might not be. Today we have constant rumours that we are talking to certain players. We know from recent activity here that some of this is made up. Names are thrown in for no reason. We have the press picking up whatever snippets and soundbites there are to weave a story, and we just run with them. You know, they need to make a living too and frankly aren't that bothered how close to the truth their story is. They will move onto the next one next week.

The absolute reality check is that we are small club with very limited finances and as a result aren't able to offer wedges of cash to clubs and players to come here (where we can blame them for not scoring enough goals, not marking their number 9 at a corner, misplacing a pass in the 52nd minute). I know this comes a shock to some of you. We are Southend United, but CANNOT do what we want. It doesn't work like that.

So, we've signed nine (?) new players since the end of last season. I am sure if Ferdinand has signed yesterday and not Saturday, most of you would have been far more positive about events.

Yeah, you know, we need a striker coz we haven't got enough fit ones, and the ones we have don't work with this system. But if you are only able to get someone who isn't good because we've got to satiate the need for a new signing from a bunch of keyboard warriors and vocal numbskulls, then that's pointless. So I'd rather be where we are, rather than having signed Billy Nogood.

So who do we blame. How about taking a look at ourselves? I wonder how the team will feel on Saturday, having read some of the stuff on here, knowing that a lump of our supporters have already decried them as not being good enough. Myself included after Saturday.

I'm not convinced its finances. We're not in a great financial position by any stretch of the imagination, but it can't be awful if Martin is signing off on the (probably not insignificant) wages of Cox and Ferdinand. Plus Brown is hardly backwards in coming forwards with his thoughts and I'm sure he'd have said in the last week or so if needed the Chairman to "loosen the purse strings" as it were.

So then it comes down to a combination of things in my eyes.

1) Players don't want to come here, or are being advised not to do so, because (and I do believe this) Brown's reputation as a poor man manager is common knowledge now and it's putting players and agents off (unless they are desperate or young). And/or because it's common knowledge that Brown doesn't really want to be here himself.

2) Brown has set his sights a little bit too high and used his budget poorly, being able to sign a couple of surprises but then running out of budget to sign additional quality, thus leaving us short.

3) Brown has set his sights a little bit too high and been consumed with trying to get names like Cox and Ferdinand in, and has missed other good and more "realistic" signings as they've slipped under our radar and signed for other similar (in some cases smaller) clubs in our division.

I'm sure there are other possible reasons but either way, we're a bit ****ed. And Brown's motivational words in the press have, I'm sure, done the world of good for an already damaged-looking morale. Can't see anything but struggle now and I'll be disappointed if he survives beyond October. We may not have a playoff squad due to the lack of depth but once injuries are back, we're good enough for mid table. Unfortunately I think Brown's tactical awareness and man management skills will turn us from mid table into relegation candidates.

I'm sure you do. Otherwise you wouldn't spout the same nonsense on every thread.

We've taken 16pts from our last 22 games. Whose fault is that? Brown is very, very lucky to still have a job. Give it 3 games and chances are his luck will have run out....

Yes, let us blame someone. Anyone. Let's drag them out into the street and whilst bereft of any facts scream at them in the hope it they will go away and we can replace them with someone else we can blame next time.

Tell you who I blame. I blame places like this. The instant ability to share news and opinions, and the on-going never ending confusion between the two. We didn't have this 20 years ago. We'd pick up the Echo to see if we signed anyone. That's when we found out. No 45 pages internet threads on someone who we might be looking at, but might not be. Today we have constant rumours that we are talking to certain players. We know from recent activity here that some of this is made up. Names are thrown in for no reason. We have the press picking up whatever snippets and soundbites there are to weave a story, and we just run with them. You know, they need to make a living too and frankly aren't that bothered how close to the truth their story is. They will move onto the next one next week.

The absolute reality check is that we are small club with very limited finances and as a result aren't able to offer wedges of cash to clubs and players to come here (where we can blame them for not scoring enough goals, not marking their number 9 at a corner, misplacing a pass in the 52nd minute). I know this comes a shock to some of you. We are Southend United, but CANNOT do what we want. It doesn't work like that.

So, we've signed nine (?) new players since the end of last season. I am sure if Ferdinand has signed yesterday and not Saturday, most of you would have been far more positive about events.

Yeah, you know, we need a striker coz we haven't got enough fit ones, and the ones we have don't work with this system. But if you are only able to get someone who isn't good because we've got to satiate the need for a new signing from a bunch of keyboard warriors and vocal numbskulls, then that's pointless. So I'd rather be where we are, rather than having signed Billy Nogood.

So who do we blame. How about taking a look at ourselves? I wonder how the team will feel on Saturday, having read some of the stuff on here, knowing that a lump of our supporters have already decried them as not being good enough. Myself included after Saturday.

Blimey, another one we missed out on. I blame RM.

Tell you something, if it was possible to like something twice, then I'd say that about 'Lord Football's' post.

That's exactly how it is from top to bottom.

... Funnily enough, I made a throwaway comment the other day that our worst results are when it's sunny and hot!

I might be on to something.

Back