• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The overriding factor in my eyes is how can professional football managers select the same tired worn out injured blokes when we all know from the stands these guys cannot do it anymore

You are coming dangerously close to saying you could do a better job as manager. Or do you actually think you could?

You are coming dangerously close to saying you could do a better job as manager. Or do you actually think you could?

If you were the manager would you have continued in selecting these players?
If you were the manager on a tight budget would you sign these players who ultimately will be expensive?

If you were the manager would you have continued in selecting these players?
If you were the manager on a tight budget would you sign these players who ultimately will be expensive?

You didn't answer the question and I have no idea what you are talking about.

Eastwood started the season (well as I recall. He scored 5 goals in 10ish games) and then got injured. Thereafter he was only really used as a substitute.

Barnard started probably less than five games (I can't be bothered to look it up) and then again was a substitute.

Eastwood has been released, Barnard was under contract anyway and I think will be much better with a full pre-season and games behind him.

What other players are you referring to?

You didn't answer the question and I have no idea what you are talking about.

Eastwood started the season (well as I recall. He scored 5 goals in 10ish games) and then got injured. Thereafter he was only really used as a substitute.

Barnard started probably less than five games (I can't be bothered to look it up) and then again was a substitute.

Eastwood has been released, Barnard was under contract anyway and I think will be much better with a full pre-season and games behind him.

What other players are you referring to?

No I could not manage the team BUT if I could I would only select players who are capable of lasting 90 minutes if I chose for them to remain out there!

I certainly would not sign any player who previously had shown very little at their past clubs,Even if did I would only offer pay as you play contract which puts me in a stronger position knowing if they can perform they get a proper contract or if they cannot perform they are shown the door which means my budget is not being drained by under performing players.

It appears Barnard was signed before he kicked a ball?,His 14 appearances last season for us were at best ordinary and he failed to score from open play,If his name was different I bet many on here would be questioning the wisdom of offering any deal.

SS3 decent reply so I thank you for not being silly like some other replies.

The overriding factor in my eyes is how can professional football managers select the same tired worn out injured blokes when we all know from the stands these guys cannot do it anymore,Game after game they were given pitch time and game after game they were shocking.Luggy rarely played Eastwood because he knew Fred's time was up so why have such a player on the books taking up the budget likewise Barney who last season did nothing to warrant any deal whatsoever .

The season is rapidly getting closer and I for one do not want to see us huffing and puffing yet unable to score.

And yet when Eastwood and Barnard weren't in the team (most of the season) and Phil Brown was playing Premier League goalscorer and key England U21 striker Cauley Woodrow, that wasn't good enough for you either. You didn't want a loan signing. Other than Loza - he was fine.

It seems to me that it is only person pushing to pick the team and that isn't Ron Martin.

If we create chances we'll score goals, whoever is up front. We don't create chances.

And yet when Eastwood and Barnard weren't in the team (most of the season) and Phil Brown was playing Premier League goalscorer and key England U21 striker Cauley Woodrow, that wasn't good enough for you either. You didn't want a loan signing. Other than Loza - he was fine.

It seems to me that it is only person pushing to pick the team and that isn't Ron Martin.

If we create chances we'll score goals, whoever is up front. We don't create chances.

Oh you mean the same Cauley Woodrow who made 25 league appearances last season and scored 3 goals!,When he joined us he at that time had not played ONE single game at this level yet he was selected game after game without IMO justification ,Oh yes and Phil told the world Cauley was staying for the entire season yet Fulham had other ideas recalling him much to Phil's displeasure.

Barnard is the latest in a long line of marquee signings since Goater which appear to have been made by someone other than the manager - Ricketts, Harris, Eastwood, Barnard.

But even when these players were signed they regularly weren't picked.

Oh you mean the same Cauley Woodrow who made 25 league appearances last season and scored 3 goals!,When he joined us he at that time had not played ONE single game at this level yet he was selected game after game without IMO justification ,Oh yes and Phil told the world Cauley was staying for the entire season yet Fulham had other ideas recalling him much to Phil's displeasure.

He put a shift in though. You just said that that is what you pay your £20 for.

Barnard is the latest in a long line of marquee signings since Goater which appear to have been made by someone other than the manager - Ricketts, Harris, Eastwood, Barnard.

Exactly this,

Why would a cash strapped club continue signing these blokes which has a serious impact on the budget yet they rarely play or deliver the goods.

Exactly this,

Why would a cash strapped club continue signing these blokes which has a serious impact on the budget yet they rarely play or deliver the goods.

Can someone please dig up all the threads saying what great signings almost everybody said they were at the time.

Freedman too. I got the impression that Ricketts was a Tilson signing though but Tilly wasn't expecting what he ended up with.

It is obvious that the Chairman understands (or thinks he understands) the impact of a marquee signing and every one of those signings was well received on here. That's the job at SUFC and a lot of other clubs nowadays and successive managers know it. Our low turnover of managers in that time would suggest that it is not a big deal as far as they are concerned.

Can someone please dig up all the threads saying what great signings almost everybody said they were at the time.

Almost being the key word !

I have no doubt the majority of fans had their expectations raised only to be dashed again and again,How much money has all these players ultimately cost yet they all offered very little in return.

Freedman too. I got the impression that Ricketts was a Tilson signing though but Tilly wasn't expecting what he ended up with.

It is obvious that the Chairman understands (or thinks he understands) the impact of a marquee signing and every one of those signings was well received on here. That's the job at SUFC and a lot of other clubs nowadays and successive managers know it. Our low turnover of managers in that time would suggest that it is not a big deal as far as they are concerned.

You are quality sir!

The manager who should have the final say on every player yet at this club other people sign them so our manager has the headache of playing them,As for marquee signing we after all are a league 2 club and whoever is responsible for these failures clearly won't learn their lesson.

The manager should coach and manage the players at his disposal. That is his job.

Can't argue with this at all. While I've always found it hard to believe that the chairman could influence signings to any great extent some of our more recent ones have been plain dumb. They don't just impact the budget, they must also p**s off the other players. Having said that, I'm no football coach and I understand that a manager has to be pragmatic. That means not just picking up a team of hungry young players, of course, but it must also mean leaving crocks in the past where they belong.

SS3 decent reply so I thank you for not being silly like some other replies.

The overriding factor in my eyes is how can professional football managers select the same tired worn out injured blokes when we all know from the stands these guys cannot do it anymore,Game after game they were given pitch time and game after game they were shocking.Luggy rarely played Eastwood because he knew Fred's time was up so why have such a player on the books taking up the budget likewise Barney who last season did nothing to warrant any deal whatsoever .

The season is rapidly getting closer and I for one do not want to see us huffing and puffing yet unable to score.

I don't know why peole bother disagreeing with you when you never take in their points and fail to back up your own points with facts . Your post is moaning about players being continually being picked and not performing . You then state that you then imply that you are referring to Eastwood and Barney. They were not continually picked as starters, its in your imagination, you are making things up and then stating them as fact. Yu then mention Woodrow . You fail to recognize the fact that Fulham took him back because he wasn't being played. You also fail to recognize that on teh basis he has subsequently played for Fulham in the prem , and Englands U21's (where he received glowing praise) that just perhaps he is a decent player and Brown could see this hence why he picked him.

If you are saying that we should not have played Eastwood , Woodrow and Barney who should we have played ? And once you come up with your solution remind us all of what your choices are doing now ?

If you were being asked to pay for a signing and provide for his wages wouldn't you want a say in it?

I don't know why peole bother disagreeing with you when you never take in their points and fail to back up your own points with facts . Your post is moaning about players being continually being picked and not performing . You then state that you then imply that you are referring to Eastwood and Barney. They were not continually picked as starters, its in your imagination, you are making things up and then stating them as fact. Yu then mention Woodrow . You fail to recognize the fact that Fulham took him back because he wasn't being played. You also fail to recognize that on teh basis he has subsequently played for Fulham in the prem , and Englands U21's (where he received glowing praise) that just perhaps he is a decent player and Brown could see this hence why he picked him.

If you are saying that we should not have played Eastwood , Woodrow and Barney who should we have played ? And once you come up with your solution remind us all of what your choices are doing now ?

Facts as you say are in reality on here based on interpretation mainly because nobody on here including me know's the actual facts,I offer an opinion and usually stick to my opinion unless somebody gives cast iron facts which cast doubt on my view.Clearly you do not like my opinion which is ok yet you actually bothered to write the above which IMO is a complete waste of your time as you have ignored all the evidence.For the record CW could well end up being a fantastic player but when he played here I thought he was out of his depth that was my opinion not a fact,I never implied about any player because I actually named them that is a fact,You say I am moaning well I say I am sharing my opinion and guess what you have the right to ignore my view or try to disprove my view instead of your silly response as above.

Back