• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who remembers League Division 4?

Dickie Worthington selling lottery tickets and a car driving round the edge of the pitch......Or the 25+ stone St. John's lad who had to lean back when he run so in effect would be running slower than he could walk.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the fantastic Southend United Brass Band which stoically marched around the perimeter with the crowd egg[ng the mace bearer to hurl the mace aloft and cheering if he caught it safely! Rose coloured specs or not, they were great days. COYBB

The smell of cigars! Football seemed the only time i ever saw them smoked.
Not PC but the smell just reminds me of old style football oh Happy Days!

And the female programme seller (?) who used to suffer a chorus of ‘get your t*ts out for the lads’ as she walked past the north bank. Happy days indeed.

Remember them well and in particular the Friday night games.
Have been in all the stands at RH but clearly remember standing in the West and depending which way we were kicking we would walk towards that end and then move down to the other end at half time.

It was fun in the west, We had some issues with fights now and then. But the main thing was we were, not unlike now a disaster of a team.

Yes, remember very vividly 3rd Div (South} and when it split to 3 and 4 and us making it to 3. They were the days!! Time for bed now.
Yes closest we came to promotion from div 3 south was 1953 , only 2 teams were promoted back then , southend finished 3rd beaten by 1 point for promotion, and who pipped us yeah it was borient .

Thinking of some of the teams we played in Division 4 brings home to me that we should perhaps count our blessings -.Workington, Barrow, Bradford Park Avenue, Southport etc none of whom have made it back into the League since they dropped out of it.

Thinking of some of the teams we played in Division 4 brings home to me that we should perhaps count our blessings -.Workington, Barrow, Bradford Park Avenue, Southport etc none of whom have made it back into the League since they dropped out of it.

I'm sure we played Workington in the snow at RH. Wouldn't be allowed nowadays. Think it was in December. They had red shirts and white shorts.

Last edited:
I'm sure we played Workington in the snow at RH. Wouldn't be allowed nowadays. Think it was in December. They had red shirts and white shorts.

Workington were the team who we played in the first game I remember at Roots Hall on a sunny Friday evening in the spring of '68. I got a bit spoilt that night as we won 7-0.

The smell of cigars! Football seemed the only time i ever saw them smoked.
Not PC but the smell just reminds me of old style football oh Happy Days!

The West Stand was for the older gentleman smokers. Hardly any women, and no women's toilet. A lot smoked those thin cigars they were always advertising on the tele, like Hamlet. My favourite was some of the pipes some smoked. The smell of some of them was really nice, and I wasn't a smoker. I couldn't stand next to a cigarette or cigar smoker, as I couldn't stand it and it would make me cough. But happily stand next to a nice pipe smell, and I didn't cough. I wonder why they went out of fashion?

Back