• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who remembers League Division 4?

Yes closest we came to promotion from div 3 south was 1953 , only 2 teams were promoted back then , southend finished 3rd beaten by 1 point for promotion, and who pipped us yeah it was borient .
Think you are talking about 1949/50 season? We finished 3rd but it was Northampton who were second. Both teams had 51 points but they went up on goal average. We actually had a better goal difference than Northampton.

I'm sure we played Workington in the snow at RH. Wouldn't be allowed nowadays. Think it was in December. They had red shirts and white shorts.

I think you may be thinking of this

Snow-1.jpg

Nov 29 1969 - a 2-2 draw Best and Clayton. Only 2,887 turned up -we weren't doing well. I think this game may have been John McKinven's last appearance for us as he struggled to get back after his broken leg.

View attachment 9316

Nov 29 1969 - a 2-2 draw Best and Clayton. Only 2,887 turned up -we weren't doing well. I think this game may have been John McKinven's last appearance for us as he struggled to get back after his broken leg.
Remember this game well as the gate was by far the lowest I had seen at the Hall. They just cleared the lines and got on with game.... How many of us as kids played on frozen rock hard pitches without a care in the world...eeeh we were woz hard back then

Remember this game well as the gate was by far the lowest I had seen at the Hall. They just cleared the lines and got on with game.... How many of us as kids played on frozen rock hard pitches without a care in the world...eeeh we were woz hard back then
What a game for McKinven making his first full appearance since his broken leg. It wouldn't happen nowadays, the game would have been called off and surely no manager would ever put a player in that position either. Shame it was his last game, he deserved to have a proper send off after nearly a decade of appearances.

was at that game as well.The South bank was closed because of snow,was in the West side,think that was Bill Garners first game for us or at least his first home game for us.???

View attachment 9316

Similar scenes, but we were in the all blue kit. Looking it up it was the 1-1 draw with Workington on the 4th Dec 1970. There was a lot more snow about in those days. A lot of fog as well in the autumn, which you rarely see now.

Last edited:
was at that game as well.The South bank was closed because of snow,was in the West side,think that was Bill Garners first game for us or at least his first home game for us.???

Yep Bill's first home game -he scored his first goals on Boxing Day against Lincoln when Phil O'Connor and Paul Vickery played because of a sickness bug.

What a game for McKinven making his first full appearance since his broken leg. It wouldn't happen nowadays, the game would have been called off and surely no manager would ever put a player in that position either. Shame it was his last game, he deserved to have a proper send off after nearly a decade of appearances.

According to Peter Mason's book he had played at Wrexham in a 4-0 defeat on October 4th and came on as sub at Gillingham in the cup replay.

He joined us in 1960, when he was 19, played just over 300 games scoring 66 goals. A real club legend.

He left for Cambridge United and played 18 times in 1970/71 in their first season in the League.

Daily Mirror. London. 8 October 1968. p. 31. Southend left winger John McKinven, the victim of a late tackle, was carried off with a fractured leg in the eighth minute. Graham Taylor playing for Lincoln -the only way he could stop him..

John passed away 5 years ago aged 73.

Similar scenes, but we were in the all blue kit. Looking it up it was the 1-1 draw with Workington on the 4th Dec 1970. There was a lot more snow about in those days. A lot of fog as well in the autumn, which you rarely see now.

There's no match photos in the 70/71 programmes. Think I must have been in Southampton at the time as I can't recall the game at all.

According to Peter Mason's book he had played at Wrexham in a 4-0 defeat on October 4th and came on as sub at Gillingham in the cup replay.

He joined us in 1960, when he was 19, played just over 300 games scoring 66 goals. A real club legend.

He left for Cambridge United and played 18 times in 1970/71 in their first season in the League.

Daily Mirror. London. 8 October 1968. p. 31. Southend left winger John McKinven, the victim of a late tackle, was carried off with a fractured leg in the eighth minute. Graham Taylor playing for Lincoln -the only way he could stop him..

John passed away 5 years ago aged 73.
Always a pleasure to watch, one of the reasons I became a Blues supporter.

There's no match photos in the 70/71 programmes. Think I must have been in Southampton at the time as I can't recall the game at all.

Found this. Someone posted on twitter saying it's from the 1970 game.
D3k8tx0WwAAwgQP.jpg

Talking about that gate of 2800 being by far the lowest gate I had seen up to that date ,reminded me of a Essex Senior Cup game against Chelmsford with a similar gate around that time.Shows how times have changed and that competition doesn't even figure in today's supporters minds.Also have a memory of carrying Terry Johnson on our shoulders celebrating winning the same trophy must have been early 70s?

Back