• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Azzurri Per Sempre

Youth Team
Hi everyone, sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but a lot of Coventry supporters seem to think they are about to be kicked out of the football league for failing to meet a deadline yesterday to pay around £600k. Other supporters have also been discussing who replaces Coventry if this were to happen, many of whom have suggested that it is the team from the league below with the highest points outside of the promoted teams who would be promoted, rather than having a relegated team reinstated. Seeing as Fleetwood (4th) went up from the playoffs, that would leave us in 5th benefiting from this - if, of course, this is how it works.

My question is this: are there some guidelines to explain what happens in the event of Coventry losing their football league status? Would it be Southend who benefit as in the scenario stated above?

I'd rather wait and see what happens than speculate, I can't see them being kicked out though, blimey, if Portsmouth managed to evade it being done, surely Coventry shouldn't be treated differently?

And can you imagine Burton reaction if that did happen? ! :hilarious:

I guess they would be quite ok about I should think, I know we wouldn't bear grudges if the tables were reversed.:smile:

They might ask Burton if they would like to be promoted , but gues they would 'waste too much time' in replying ! :smile:

If Coventry were removed from the football league, the only similar case I can think off would be Swindon and Sunderland in 1990. Swindon were punished by the football league for illegal payments to players, and I think the manager at the time was caught in a betting scandal. Swindon beat Sunderland in the Championship play-off final, but they were later stripped of their win and demoted 2 leagues. Sunderland took their place in the top league. Newcastle were furious with this as they finished higher in the league, one below the automatics, so appealed. It was unsuccessful though and Sunderlands promotion stood.

This business with Coventry City is a very complex affair and having now read up on much of the available details I would be very concerned if I were one of their supporters. Whether it would go to expulsion I am unsure but I could see them relegated at least to league 2.

Despite the possible advantage SUFC may gain, as a football supporter I hope the club and their fans are not unduly penalised.

Only a handful of clubs have been dissolved to my knowledge. Farsley Celtic, Chester, Maidstone, Rushden and Diamonds and Newport County. What a very sad day it must have been for their supporters. There but for the grace of God (RM) go we.

If Coventry were removed from the football league, the only similar case I can think off would be Swindon and Sunderland in 1990. Swindon were punished by the football league for illegal payments to players, and I think the manager at the time was caught in a betting scandal. Swindon beat Sunderland in the Championship play-off final, but they were later stripped of their win and demoted 2 leagues. Sunderland took their place in the top league. Newcastle were furious with this as they finished higher in the league, one below the automatics, so appealed. It was unsuccessful though and Sunderlands promotion stood.
yes and poor Tranmere were promoted to the then Division 2 when Swindon were relegated 2 Divisions. Swindon appealed and were put back in Division 2 and Tranmere were relegated back to Division 3 all without kicking a ball.

In the unlikely event this happened, my hunch is League One would be competed for with 23 teams next season; three down and four up and one down from League Two.

Pretty sure since Burton would be the ones to go up if anyone did since they made the play off final. Saying we came 5th doesn't mean much since Burton obviously rested players for the playoffs, if they knew 5th place would give them promotion they would have fielded a stronger team.
More likely they'd just let 21st in league 1 not be relegated and same with 23rd in our league. It would get too complicated trying to work out who deserves to be promoted from each division otherwise.

Hasn't this been discussed before (probably when Portsmouth or Luton were teetering) and the outcome would be the team that finished 21st in League One getting a reprieve?

No one will go up, either League 1 will have 23 teams, or, Tranmere will be reprieved and League 2 will have 23 teams. You can only go up on merit, so forget any plans for League 1 next season, it wont be happening.

If you want an example, look at Maidstone when they went belly up during the closed season. Division 4 (as was) had 23 teams that season.

Back