• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who should be our next manager?

Who do we want as Manager

• Barrett

Votes: 136 34.8%
  • Fagan

Votes: 112 28.6%
  • Paul Hurst

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Tilson

Votes: 30 7.7%
  • Tilson/Maher

Votes: 59 15.1%
  • Brown

Votes: 27 6.9%
  • Bentley

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 37 9.5%
  • Bart

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Tisdale

Votes: 29 7.4%
  • Maher

Votes: 52 13.3%

• Total voters
I think that is the problem as to why we didn't get this management team doing what they are capable of.

Think the whole team came in with big plans due to promises made by Ron and it soon became apparent they would not get the backing they wanted and that was the writing on the wall.

I heard Tony Colbert put all the players on a fitness and nutritional plan with various supplements etc and after we got the bill after the 1st month Ron pulled the plug and said he could not order the supplements going forward. Was also told Sol and Hermann tried to use a well known scouting tool that most clubs subscribe to and when they went to log in our account was barredc because we hadn't paid our subscriptions. There were hurdles like this at every turn for them, they will be a great team for a club that can afford to resource them.

amazing with all the other insight offered by those ITK that none of this information was shared ...

Certainly they know how to prepare and put out a team and I too look forward watching them progress in a situation where they have a real opportunity.

amazing with all the other insight offered by those ITK that none of this information was shared ...

Certainly they know how to prepare and put out a team and I too look forward watching them progress in a situation where they have a real opportunity.

Just out of interest what did happen to that £5m Sainsburys money?

Ron pocketed it - allegedly

I suspect RM loves league 2 - low wages and less competition ...

a low cost club while the other stuff is going on ... minimise the football expenditure as he did so well previously (zero'ed his costs and pocketed 5 million from sainsburys)

You are right and the blame lies with Ron (sorry @rigsby ). You employ a big name management team for big money and you can't even afford to give them the tools to do their job, it's farcical.

Only Ron knows what the likely budget is to be next season and we have to recruit accordingly. One thing I will say is that if it is Fagan I really feel for him as it is obviously the very cheapest option and his 1st management job he will in at the deep end and it could kill his career before it starts.

It's not so much the not giving them the tools for the job (I fully get that we might not be able to afford those things) but the misleading them so that they thought they would be able to use those sorts of things in the first place. It's like when he talked about getting in five players in the transfer window and instead got none.

We (as fans) shouldn't be only looking at people who have already worked under Ron because they'll know the score as Ron wouldn't tell them.

It's not so much the not giving them the tools for the job (I fully get that we might not be able to afford those things) but the misleading them so that they thought they would be able to use those sorts of things in the first place. It's like when he talked about getting in five players in the transfer window and instead got none.

This is a fallacy.

Firstly, Ron didn’t know in October that we would be embargoed at the time of the January transfer window.

Secondly, why won’t anyone consider the possibility that Ron had very quickly changed his mind on Sol (who was third choice to begin with) and was wary of allowing him to make wholesale changes, when there was a possibility that he wouldn’t be staying here for too long?

This is a fallacy.

Firstly, Ron didn’t know in October that we would be embargoed at the time of the January transfer window.

Secondly, why won’t anyone consider the possibility that Ron had very quickly changed his mind on Sol (who was third choice to begin with) and was wary of allowing him to make wholesale changes, when there was a possibility that he wouldn’t be staying here for too long?
Didn’t Ron say that in January, that results didn’t improve quickly so didn’t want to commit to expenditure that would have been a mistake

Didn’t Ron say that in January, that results didn’t improve quickly so didn’t want to commit to expenditure that would have been a mistake

Yes that’s what I thought, but I couldn’t remember if he’d said it publicly or not.

The truth is - rightly or wrongly - Ron was expecting more from those opening 11 games.

We managed one win in the checkatrade nonsense trophy, and two league draws.

The 3-2 loss to Bolton before Xmas, pretty much extinguished any hopes of escaping relegation, and the draw against the wombles on NYD cemented it.

We (as fans) shouldn't be only looking at people who have already worked under Ron because they'll know the score as Ron wouldn't tell them.

As you know the 5m of sainsbury money came through after our relegation ...

it is the public domain - as i understand it sainsburys eventually pulled but did not get the money back ..

It seems that if you have a different point of view on here its a bit difficult for some people to deal with and they start getting angsty and upset..

Yes that’s what I thought, but I couldn’t remember if he’d said it publicly or not.

The truth is - rightly or wrongly - Ron was expecting more from those opening 11 games.

The 3-2 loss to Bolton before Xmas, pretty much extinguished any hopes of escaping relegation, and the draw against the wombles on NYD cemented it.

this is about interpreting the situation realistically - and not just going on about his hat ..

It seems that if you have a different point of view on here its a bit difficult for some people to deal with and they start getting angsty and upset..

For the sake of the mods, I don’t want to draw this into a combative post, but this has to be said.

Over the course of the last few days, you have accused the fanbase of ignorance, disrespect, stereotyping and a lack of ambition.

You have used terms like pathetic & lower lg2 loser types to discuss potential managerial candidates.

You have sneered at anyone who does infact have better knowledge of the situation, and referred to their insight as snide bollocks.

You’ve even taken digs at Chris Phillips, for doing his job and simply reporting on the topic.

The only person who seems angsty and upset, is you.

I’m more than happy to continue discussing the topic with you, or anyone else for that matter, but this backhanded abuse has to stop.

not to mention that god awful 0-0 draw at home to tranmere in between

Reactions: GBJ
this is about interpreting the situation realistically - and not just going on about his hat ..

I never once mentioned his hat, and I dare say that those people who have aired their concerns about Sol’s management, aren’t overly fussed about the man’s choice of apparel.

If we interpret the situation realistically, what we had was a concerning & growing list of evidence that his heart wasn’t in the job. Again, this club could end up in dire straights next season, so we need everything to be running like a well-oiled machine. We haven’t got room for passengers or egos.

As for on the pitch, what we witnessed was a very small improvement to the way in which we lost games. But essentially, we still lost games.

As Ron has confirmed no approaches made to individuals and clubs regarding the manager situation, and nothing will happen until a season start date, and hence a date for return to training, is known. No doubt this is also to buy a bit of time and dampen speculation. Also makes potentially some sense.

Fagan is already at the club and preparing for pre-season when it comes anyway. Barratt is at Millwall and any approach before the end of the Championship season on 22nd July will probably not be best timing and I am sure will be seen by Millwall as very disruptive- chances maybe much better when season completed (if they don't make playoffs). I would have thought Ron will at least be wanting to talk to Barrett.

And whoever is manager we need to be past the HMRC date (also 22nd July) and embargo lifted before we can bring anyone in. And any decent prospective manager will likely be keen to see HMRC sorted and embargo lifted also.

I believe all this means a late July early August appointment is likely so 4-5 weeks more of nothing but the normal speculation.

It’s funny reading peoples thoughts on whether Tilly should get the job after doing well as caretaker.

For the sake of the mods, I don’t want to draw this into a combative post, but this has to be said.

Over the course of the last few days, you have accused the fanbase of ignorance, disrespect, stereotyping and a lack of ambition.

You have used terms like pathetic & lower lg2 loser types to discuss potential managerial candidates.

You have sneered at anyone who does infact have better knowledge of the situation, and referred to their insight as snide bollocks.

You’ve even taken digs at Chris Phillips, for doing his job and simply reporting on the topic.

The only person who seems angsty and upset, is you.

I’m more than happy to continue discussing the topic with you, or anyone else for that matter, but this backhanded abuse has to stop

umm ..oh dear - I guess I owe an apology .. but i am good at words so do love it when someone takes the trouble to curate all my best bits .. ;-)

yeah 100% Ron promised and didn't deliver. They had a plan on how to do things and couldn't do it the way they had planned.

Seems a different topic to Sol’s leaving, so here’s a new thread.

For me there’s 3 kinds of appointment that we can have...

OPTION 1: Barrett, Tilson, Maher

Reconnect with the fans and bring back some of the feel good factor.

OPTION 2: Fagan, Maher.

Cheap and know the youngsters well having brought them through.

OPTION 3: Unknown - Paul Hurst? Kieth Hill?

More of a journeyman type but for me this is where we need to look, a man with a contact book like Sturrock who can bring people in.

What do you think?
I think Heidraeson should be on that list also

Back