• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who should be our next manager?

Who do we want as Manager

• Barrett

Votes: 136 34.8%
  • Fagan

Votes: 112 28.6%
  • Paul Hurst

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Tilson

Votes: 30 7.7%
  • Tilson/Maher

Votes: 59 15.1%
  • Brown

Votes: 27 6.9%
  • Bentley

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 37 9.5%
  • Bart

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Tisdale

Votes: 29 7.4%
  • Maher

Votes: 52 13.3%

• Total voters
Interesting article on Sky football pages with Paul Tisdale giving his ideas on operating in a club etc. Could he work with Ron (assuming he wanted the job)? Any thoughts.

fwiw my own personal choice would be Newport manager Michael Flynn (I also said this before SC was appointed).

W
Very surprised they sacked him.

Whoever is appointed at Southend must have a track record of operating with limited resources or at least be able to cope in that environment. Lee Johnson may find that difficult.

Why?

We don’t want to make the same mistakes again, do we?
He apparently got on well with both the management and players , that being the case im sure both he and Fagan would make a good team and will know off the constraints they will be working under. Better that than someone not really knowing the players and the constraints put upon them.Also im sure RM knows a little about them also .

Rayleigh boy, you make some important points. Sol Campbell inherited a very tough situation, which was worsened by the fact the Chairman taking so long to replace Bond. I do not understand the relationship between the Chairman and the Board at Southend. Everything seems to depend on the Chairman and that is certainly not the case at all clubs.

Sol Campbell is the first Southend manager I can recall that was not allowed to bring in a single new player on his watch. Talk about having your arms tied behind your back!

One of the communication problems that Chris Phillips did not mention was the fact that Sol Campbell refused to lie about why he was unable to bring in new players. He basically told the media that they would have to direct this question to the Chairman, and I am sure the Chairman was not amused by that frankness.

I am disappointed that Sol Campbell left. There were signs he was definitely improving the team. I was hoping Sol was going to announce after relegation he was cutting his management team to two (from four people) and was prepared to take a pay cut himself in order to get the job done at Southend.

But Sol did not appear willing to adapt to the ways of the basement football environment and probably did not trust the Chairman. So it is probably best for all concerned that he departed.

It is time the Chairman stopped this infatuation with big names, and I think the club needs realism and a clear sense of direction in a footballing sense now. A good move, I believe, would be to appoint Craig Fagan as caretaker manager immediately and see how things shape up. Paying compensation to Millwall or Bristol Rovers for the release of Adam Barrett or Kevin Maher is probably not wise given the current financial plight of Southend.

I fully agree with your comments on Fagan, he should be appointed right away to take the job as we can't afford to pay compensation for anyone, nor do I believe that Kev or AB will walk away from their roles into this basket case of a club.

I fully agree with your comments on Fagan, he should be appointed right away to take the job as we can't afford to pay compensation for anyone, nor do I believe that Kev or AB will walk away from their roles into this basket case of a club.

We are still on a massive downward spiral and one season away from non league, is craig fagan really the man for that task?

We are still on a massive downward spiral and one season away from non league, is craig fagan really the man for that task?

I think it might be a risk worth taking. Besides, there is no guarantee anyone else will do any better, and there is the example of Steve Tilson defying initial expectations as caretaker manager many years ago and going on to do a great job.

True, no guarantees.
I just think if we are going for a rookie might as well be a blues man like KM and AB, at least they wouldnt be surprised when ron pulls the rug out from under them.

The danger is again, ron giving some big name charlie his flannel about the biggest budget and new stadium spiel.

My BC supporting mate says he did well but they then went on a terrible run, no wins in 9 games & fell out of the promotion race, after spending around £50m. Not sure he’d cope too well with our kind of budget!!

Johnson is nick named streaky. Goes on crazy winning and losing runs. He lost his first 8 games in charge and then then went on a similar length winning run.
City had lost 7 out of the last 9 games before the axe fell.

Realistically it's got to be Fagan, hasn't it? He seems to be well respected by the players, will know the squad well, and will know the dire situation we are in so will be better equipped to deal with it than another candidate coming in from the cold.

Either that or bring in GBJ and rigsby as they have many contacts and sources so will be able to sniff out any troublemakers, and also employ Rayleigh boy as the new chief financial officer to locate the £5 million donated to us by Sainsbury's.

Realistically it's got to be Fagan, hasn't it? He seems to be well respected by the players, will know the squad well, and will know the dire situation we are in so will be better equipped to deal with it than another candidate coming in from the cold.

Either that or bring in GBJ and rigsby as they have many contacts and sources so will be able to sniff out any troublemakers, and also employ Rayleigh boy as the new chief financial officer to locate the £5 million donated to us by Sainsbury's.

a dream team ... the 5 million form sainsburys WAS delivered

Back