• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who should be our next manager?

Who do we want as Manager

• Barrett

Votes: 136 34.8%
  • Fagan

Votes: 112 28.6%
  • Paul Hurst

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Tilson

Votes: 30 7.7%
  • Tilson/Maher

Votes: 59 15.1%
  • Brown

Votes: 27 6.9%
  • Bentley

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 37 9.5%
  • Bart

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Tisdale

Votes: 29 7.4%
  • Maher

Votes: 52 13.3%

• Total voters
I dont get why people are saying Tilson, i as much as anyone loved and appreciated the time under him. However, after leaving us his career didnt blossom it went the opposite way. WHile I will always be grateful for the past I do think it is fraught with danger trying to re visit past glories in the same way. Times have changed, the game moved on. As a number 2 maybe but even then i say that not as a first choice

Huh. I mentioned Lee Bradbury on Twitter. Guess who liked that tweet last night? His son, professional footballer for Millwall, Harvey. Coincidence?

Coincidence that Harvey Bradbury read your tweet? Not really .A lot of young footballers have nothing better to do than engage with social media I understand. :Winking:

I dont get why people are saying Tilson, i as much as anyone loved and appreciated the time under him. However, after leaving us his career didnt blossom it went the opposite way. WHile I will always be grateful for the past I do think it is fraught with danger trying to re visit past glories in the same way. Times have changed, the game moved on. As a number 2 maybe but even then i say that not as a first choice

I sort of agree, maybe as part of a team? Where is Paul Brush these days?

Tilly at Lincoln, inherited a squad of overpaid players on long contracts. Lincoln couldn't afford to move them on. A similar scenario to the one we are just resolving.
The result of course, no funds to improve the squad.

Tilly at Lincoln, inherited a squad of overpaid players on long contracts. Lincoln couldn't afford to move them on. A similar scenario to the one we are just resolving.
The result of course, no funds to improve the squad.
Fair enough, but i would still say why would we go there now As that reinforces the point

Hope Maher don’t get it.....totally uninspiring when he was with the U’23’s, coaches like he played

He is indeed, looking after the Spurs youngsters out on loan. Moved to Rayleigh to live a year or so back. Spoke to him a couple of weeks ago.

Paul Brush used to watch Shaq Coulthirst at RH....He Wasn’t to impressed in his last ever game for us, I think it was v Plymouth. At one point Shaq went 11 minutes without touching the ball

Remember when all the players vouched for Waddock then got hammered 7-1. Not sure I’m bothered who the players would like as manager tbh. The players have had a easy ride for too long it seems. Someone experienced like a clough could be the way to go. I think Barrett or Mayer would command enough respect also and maybe a Tilly.. think it’s too soon for Fagan though.

I said Clough at the start as he has experience in all the leagues and getting out of them... problem with that is he will know all too well the problems that Southend have and not want to go anywhere near the role

Says in today's Echo that over 30 people have applied for the job.

There’s an unknown Spaniard on there, called Ángel Barretto.

An Italian guy called Antonio Baretti

A Russian called Adamitri Barrettshnikov

A Dutchman called Adaam van Basten

Oh, and a suspicious Irishman called Adam O’Barrett

Strangely enough, all their applications came from an SE16 postcode. I’ve never known Bermondsey to be so diverse

Remember when all the players vouched for Waddock then got hammered 7-1. Not sure I’m bothered who the players would like as manager tbh.

From the XI that started that game, 6 have already left, with a few more likely to follow this summer.

We’re talking about two different era’s, really.

Interesting CP saying Paul Hirst, one of those mentioned in connection with the role, wouldn't be considered. I have a feeling that Ron knows who he wants as plan A and plan B and both options are around people currently or recently involved with the club. Everything points to that being where Ron's head is at.

The season will start 29/8 or 12/9. 5/9 is an international week. Seems 29/8 is preferred as it will for some reason require three less midweek games, and avoid 3 successive weeks with midweek fixtures. Main concern with 29/8 being players wont get furlough for August as before month end. This is in practical terms is a nonsense as for either date surely players will have to be back for training in August.

If 29/8 then the obvious date back for training is beginning of August. Just over three weeks away!!

So either Ron has already decided its Fagan and hence urgency off a little or he must have a clear timeline, perhaps get past 22nd and the HMRC and between 22 and 1/8 approach and secure the services of the new manager (likely then Maher or Barratt).

The no urgency piece is a smokescreen to take the pressure off. If the new manager is not in for beginning of August then the prep for the new season will be seriously impacted, decisions on existing and new players similarly impacted. Ron can say well until embargo lifted not much we can do on the player front but of course you need to be identifying targets.

I expect a new manager soon after 22nd at worst, and all managers suggested outside of the Southend connected names discussed to meet the same fate as Paul Hirst to nip speculation in the bud. Of course Ron will keep the door open just in case but can't see any further than Fagan, Maher and Barratt (with Tilson in the frame as a number 2 in at least one instance). Millwalls last game is by the way 22nd July assuming they dont make the player off- how convenient perhaps?

Last edited:
Back