• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who should be our next manager?

Who do we want as Manager

• Barrett

Votes: 136 34.8%
  • Fagan

Votes: 112 28.6%
  • Paul Hurst

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Tilson

Votes: 30 7.7%
  • Tilson/Maher

Votes: 59 15.1%
  • Brown

Votes: 27 6.9%
  • Bentley

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 37 9.5%
  • Bart

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Tisdale

Votes: 29 7.4%
  • Maher

Votes: 52 13.3%

• Total voters
Interesting CP saying Paul Hirst, one of those mentioned in connection with the role, wouldn't be considered. I have a feeling that Ron knows who he wants as plan A and plan B and both options are around people currently or recently involved with the club. Everything points to that being where Ron's head is at.

Yes, I think that was pretty much what was alluded to in Ron's statement just before Sol left.

Here we go guys. A quote from Ron that narrows it down a bit.

And Martin is keen to appoint a young and hungry replacement.

“Our profile is a young, hungry, bright and utterly committed individual,” said Martin.

“Success starts with the right attitude and that must come from the top.

“If the manager hasn’t got it then the players won’t either.

Think it’s leading to a Maher or Barrett at the top of the list and I’ll go with either of them :Clap:

Who is the cheapest and most likely to believe or put up with the usual bull which comes from Ron? Theres your new manager.

Or Fagan. I wouldn't be disappointed with any of those three with Tilson as assistant.

Just out of interest, what’s the big want for Tilson back? I get that he is a club legend and quite frankly performed miracles for us but that was over 10 years ago. He has been out of the game for a long time, I just don’t understand the sudden want for him to return now.

Just out of interest, what’s the big want for Tilson back? I get that he is a club legend and quite frankly performed miracles for us but that was over 10 years ago. He has been out of the game for a long time, I just don’t understand the sudden want for him to return now.

He wants to, would be cheap and should be able to get the fans back on board.

It might not be footballing reasons but we need to have someone with blood that runs blue after putting up with Bond and Campbell.

I think he should be also .

I have a feeling - but absolutely no evidence to back it up - that Craig Fagan's impressive performance at Southend's under 23s has been noticed at other clubs and if we do not appoint him he will get an offer elsewhere.

I think the Chairman's number one target as manager is Adam Barrett, but even if there is no complication about compensation it may be difficult for Southend to match the terms he is is currently on as part of Millwall's managerial team.

Or Fagan. I wouldn't be disappointed with any of those three with Tilson as assistant.
I think the only way Tilson will get a look is if he becomes assistant to a very popular choice in either Barrett or Maher and that’s if he is wanted back at the club.

Interesting CP saying Paul Hirst, one of those mentioned in connection with the role, wouldn't be considered. I have a feeling that Ron knows who he wants as plan A and plan B and both options are around people currently or recently involved with the club. Everything points to that being where Ron's head is at.

The season will start 29/8 or 12/9. 5/9 is an international week. Seems 29/8 is preferred as it will for some reason require three less midweek games, and avoid 3 successive weeks with midweek fixtures. Main concern with 29/8 being players wont get furlough for August as before month end. This is in practical terms is a nonsense as for either date surely players will have to be back for training in August.

If 29/8 then the obvious date back for training is beginning of August. Just over three weeks away!!

So either Ron has already decided its Fagan and hence urgency off a little or he must have a clear timeline, perhaps get past 22nd and the HMRC and between 22 and 1/8 approach and secure the services of the new manager (likely then Maher or Barratt).

The no urgency piece is a smokescreen to take the pressure off. If the new manager is not in for beginning of August then the prep for the new season will be seriously impacted, decisions on existing and new players similarly impacted. Ron can say well until embargo lifted not much we can do on the player front but of course you need to be identifying targets.

I expect a new manager soon after 22nd at worst, and all managers suggested outside of the Southend connected names discussed to meet the same fate as Paul Hirst to nip speculation in the bud. Of course Ron will keep the door open just in case but can't see any further than Fagan, Maher and Barratt (with Tilson in the frame as a number 2 in at least one instance). Millwalls last game is by the way 22nd July assuming they dont make the player off- how convenient perhaps?
I agree with a lot of what you have said. With the National League play off final, being played on 2nd August, surely the 29th August is not reasonable. Especially for the Club that wins through.

I’m with you there. I’ve bumped into him many times over the years. Comes across as not particularly talkative or approachable. Couldn’t see him as an “arm round the shoulder “ type.

Back