• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who should be the next James Bond?

Have you read the original Fleming books? Does it say, at any point, James Bond is white?

I saw a play of His Dark Materials and the main character's father (a white girl Lyra) was a black man (a role both played by two Bond actors, Dalton & Craig). Nobody batted an eyelid, 'cos you know, it's not real.

I can't see how you could have a non-white actor playing a true historical caucasian character, but whitey is quite happy to slap on the makeup to play people like Gandhi.
That stage production was ace - David Harewood from Homeland but to me he will always be Paul 'The Rage' Johnson from Game On.

I think a black Bond would take the character to a whole new level, the same way Obama has taken the US Presidency to a level that none of us could possibly have imagined!

I think a black Bond would take the character to a whole new level, the same way Obama has taken the US Presidency to a level that none of us could possibly have imagined!
A black James Bond would be like white John Shaft .

Good or bad?

BARACK_OBAMA_NEVER_HEARD_OF_HERjgfla.jpg

Have you read the original Fleming books? Does it say, at any point, James Bond is white?
Actually, yes it does, in just about every one of the novels. The other thing that always struck me in the writing was Bond's casual racism - nothing overly cynical, more a reflection of less enlightened thinking in the 50s.

From Thunderball: 'The skin beneath the eyes that now slowly, mildly, surveyed his colleagues was unpouched. There was no sign of debauchery, illness, or old age on the large, white, bland face under the square, wiry black crew-cut.'

For me, the Bond most synonymous with Fleming's writing was George Lazenby.

Actually, yes it does, in just about every one of the novels. The other thing that always struck me in the writing was Bond's casual racism - nothing overly cynical, more a reflection of less enlightened thinking in the 50s.

From Thunderball: 'The skin beneath the eyes that now slowly, mildly, surveyed his colleagues was unpouched. There was no sign of debauchery, illness, or old age on the large, white, bland face under the square, wiry black crew-cut.'

For me, the Bond most synonymous with Fleming's writing was George Lazenby.
Of course, that wouldn't stop them messing with it though and bringing in a black Bond.

Of course, that wouldn't stop them messing with it though and bringing in a black Bond.
I'm not actually too concerned about that. I used to be but I realise now it just doesn't actually matter unless you want it to. Elba would make a more convincing character than a lot of the others being suggested. It's only really a continuity problem.

In the Jack Reacher books, the main man is 6 foot 5 and built like a brick ****house. In the film, it was Tom Cruise!

How about Bolly-Bond?

Akshay Kumar, for example.

akki.jpg

Great idea. Its about time we cut out this gratuitous violence in the big shoot out with the villain at the end of each film. I'd like to see a nice big dancing scene to give us the feel good factor.

And its about time we brought some other British icons into the 21st century multicultural society we now live in. Instead of Doctor Who .......Doctor Patel.

Great idea. Its about time we cut out this gratuitous violence in the big shoot out with the villain at the end of each film. I'd like to see a nice big dancing scene to give us the feel good factor.

And its about time we brought some other British icons into the 21st century multicultural society we now live in. Instead of Doctor Who .......Doctor Patel.

The first thing sounds like a good idea, mix things up a bit, bit of exuberance.

The second sounds like something Hammond or May would say to Clarkson seeking his approval that they had been naughty.
Not Theresa May. Though......

Back