• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
It's 6pm on Sunday evening in Merseyside. The last supporter trudges out of the Anfield turnstiles, his head hung low. Red scarves are left strewn amongst the litter in the aisles of the Kop. Somewhere outside you can hear the gleeful chorus of 'Glory, Glory Man United'. Liverpool have been beaten heavily on their own turf and it's all over for Rafa Benitez. Despite his earlier vote of confidence, George Gillett swings the axe and the club search for only their eighth manager since Bill Shankly. So who's on the shortlist?

The Dream Choice - Jose Mourinho might have upset the Liverpool fans with his arrogant posturing, but they know a winner when they see one. A champion with Porto, Chelsea and Inter Milan, he could galvanise the squad, cut out the silly errors and transform them from perennial also-rans to genuine contenders. But would he want to? Granted, he isn't a popular man in Italy and expectations are so high that only the Champions League will do, but would he really leave for this? A few years ago maybe, but with all the debts, in-fighting and chaos at Anfield he's more likely to just sit tight and wait for that vacancy at Old Trafford.

KAKI'S VERDICT - 2/5

The Sentimental Choice - Kenny Dalglish was the last man to win a title at Anfield, all the way back in 1990. He's well respected in the game, and so he should be. He also won the league with Blackburn in 1995 and was halfway through rebuilding Newcastle United when he was prematurely sacked by Freddy Shepherd. In a managerial sense, he's been out of the game a long time, but he has returned to the club in an ambassadorial role, so he's not entirely out of the loop. That said, in a global game that has evolved swiftly in the last ten years, is a blast from the past really the best way forward?

KAKI'S VERDICT - 3/5

The Glamour Choice - Jurgen Klinsmann was courted by Liverpool back in 2007 when the Americans were sounding out a possible replacement for Benitez. In the end, the talks came to nothing, but it was clear that the new owners rather admired the former German international and his modern views on the game. Unfortunately, those modern views would damn him at his eventual destination, Bayern Munich. A redesigned, feng-shui influenced training ground, complete with Buddhist statuetes, did little to aid his team as they struggled through the Bundesliga season and Klinsmann was sacked after less than a year. Still, at least he's available...

KAKI'S VERDICT - 3/5

The Inside Choice - Jamie Carragher is the real heart of Liverpool FC. He lives and breathes football, is a keen tactical student of the game and has been a willing disciple of Benitez's teachings. He'll go into management at some point, so why not now? After all, the club hired Dalglish when he was still playing in the first team and the idea of promoting from within has always been popular at the club. This could be a return to the Boot Room days! He could have Dalglish or Roy Evans as his General Manager and usher in a new dawn of red dominance. Or, you know, maybe not....

KAKI'S VERDICT - 1/5

The Cheap Choice - He's a former Champions League and La Liga winner with a long track record of success at smaller clubs. A tactical mastermind, he is well respected within the game and has an excellent record in Europe. There may be question marks about his ability in the transfer market, but he's brought in enough hits to make up for the misses. He's a popular figure with the fans and he knows the club inside out. He's Rafa Benitez and he's got four and half years left to run on his contract. To sack him would cost almost GBP20m. Of all the possible outcomes on Sunday night, by far the most likely is that Liverpool will keep faith with the Spaniard. Not because they want to, you understand, but because they can't afford not to.

KAKI'S VERDICT - 4/5

I can never understand why they give these blokes such long contracts. If he is any good and builds a successful team, surely he would stay and sign another contract. If he builds a successful team and leaves, plenty of other decent managers would want to take over, and if he isnt any good and doesn't build a decent team they can get rid without it costing them a fortune.

An interesting week for Rafa. It's not too far-fetched to say that by next Saturday evening, they could have lost 7 on the bounce. Next 3 games are Man U at home, Away to Arsenal in the League Cup, and then away to Fulham in the league. Tack a return trip to Lyon on the end of that, and it could be 8 on the bounce. Would he be able to survive that ?

As for his transfer dealings, I would say the only buys he's made that have proven as good value for money, are Torres and Reina. Mascharano is a good player, but not at the money he cost. Jury's still out on Johnson, again I think he's a good player, but not a good buy at 18m. As for the rest, the only one that could be classed as a marginal success is Kuyt.

An interesting week for Rafa. It's not too far-fetched to say that by next Saturday evening, they could have lost 7 on the bounce. Next 3 games are Man U at home, Away to Arsenal in the League Cup, and then away to Fulham in the league. Tack a return trip to Lyon on the end of that, and it could be 8 on the bounce. Would he be able to survive that ?

As for his transfer dealings, I would say the only buys he's made that have proven as good value for money, are Torres and Reina. Mascharano is a good player, but not at the money he cost. Jury's still out on Johnson, again I think he's a good player, but not a good buy at 18m. As for the rest, the only one that could be classed as a marginal success is Kuyt.

Alonso was a good purchase, served them well and made a tidy profit, though he shouldnt have been so keen to let him go. Also I think Benayoun is good player for what they paid for him. But that is still too few for the time he has been here and the amount he has spent.

number11 said:
Alonso was a good purchase, served them well and made a tidy profit, though he shouldnt have been so keen to let him go. Also I think Benayoun is good player for what they paid for him. But that is still too few for the time he has been here and the amount he has spent.
Forgot about Benayoun, yes he's been OK. Alonso was a total balls-up, should have moved heavan and earth to keep him, although we need to see Aquilani before that one can truly be judged.

Forgot about Benayoun, yes he's been OK. Alonso was a total balls-up, should have moved heavan and earth to keep him, although we need to see Aquilani before that one can truly be judged.

The owners were never gonna turn down 30 mill, and anyway Alonso wasn't happy after Benitez tried flogging him so he could buy Barry worst mistake he has made IMO (apart from maybe spending 20 mill on someone who wont play for 4 or 5 months).

Having seen Aquilani play, I can vouch for him as a genuine and able replacement for Alonso. A box-to-box central midfielder if ever I've seen one... However his injury record leaves a lot to be desired for and it appears it's been some time he's played more than 10/12 games in a row... Not exactly what Liverpool need when Gerrard seems to pick up a groin strain everytime he wears an England shirt and Torres seemingly having contracted Brittle Bone Disease.

As for Benitez... It's been a while since they've won anything now and he's managing to do the unthinkable and lose the Kop. The same Kop that carried around that framed picture of him to every game. When he subbed Benayoun on Tuesday night the fans made it quite clear what they thought, and I hate to imagine the noise eminating from Anfield should United trounce them on Sunday.

Can you even begin to imagine if Owen scored the winner? A player that would've done anything to rejoin Liverpool and would've been happy to play second fiddle to Fernando Torres, a player once Idolised and still reverred by the fans? Benitez came under some pressure for not taking Owen back in what would've been an ideal move considering the finance circumstances, It could be the last straw if it bites him again.

Having seen Aquilani play, I can vouch for him as a genuine and able replacement for Alonso. A box-to-box central midfielder if ever I've seen one... However his injury record leaves a lot to be desired for and it appears it's been some time he's played more than 10/12 games in a row... Not exactly what Liverpool need when Gerrard seems to pick up a groin strain everytime he wears an England shirt and Torres seemingly having contracted Brittle Bone Disease.

A huge question mark for a player to have yet still cost 20 million IMO.

Can you even begin to imagine if Owen scored the winner?

No.

I meant the injury record.

In all fairness, that's the risk you take... With the Summer being a mad place for transfers, you weren't getting much for your money anyway. Man City spent over £60m on a defence that can't handle set pieces or head a ball, for example. £20million is the least amount you'd expect to spend on a genuinely class midfielder.

In all fairness, that's the risk you take... With the Summer being a mad place for transfers, you weren't getting much for your money anyway. Man City spent over £60m on a defence that can't handle set pieces or head a ball, for example. £20million is the least amount you'd expect to spend on a genuinely class midfielder.

Yeah true I guess, hopefully it will be a gamble that pays off!

Back