• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

amsemp

Director⭐
Obviously apart from Ronaldo, Messi, Joe Hart & Pique, what type of players should we be looking to bring in come the summer?

Personally I think we need another centre back to play with Cresswell, a holding midfielder in the Grant mould to tidy up, a creative winger to fill the Ryan Hall shaped hole and maybe a decent pacey striker following the departure of Assombalonga back to Watford.

If we can get Mkandawire in permanently, we have the holding midfielder sorted and I would love to see us sign Reeves to solve our winger troubles (out of contract in the summer?) as I think he could go on to be better than Hall!

Would absolutely love to see us lining up 4-3-3 next season and actually play some nice passing, creative football rather than the hoofball we usually get. For me, would love to see:

Bentley

Clohessy - Cresswell - Mohsni/? - Barker/?

Laird - Tam - Timlin

Hurst - Tomlin - Reeves

I know it's wishful thinking and we will have to sign who we can attract/afford, but what's everyones thoughts?

No. This is a ridiculous thread. How can you know who we are going to sign in so many months time. If we dont get promoted then the following will leave:

Clohessy
Mohsni (probably leave no matter what)
Mkandawire
Tomlin
Reeves
Assombalonga
Eastwood (If Sturrock stays, if Sturrock leaves then his chances of playing may hugely improve)

Without signing anyone, our squad next season will start like this:

Bentley

Cresswell Prosser Straker

Hurst Laird Timlin/Lund Leonard

Corr Eastwood

Not good:

Therefore, next season we need a goalkeeper, centre back, right back, 2 centre midfielders, a winger and 2 strikers. Who they are is anyone's guess but I dont think we will be able to keep any loanees if we stay in League 2 - except for Lund - got a feeling he could join on a perm.

I think Clohessy, Tomlin and Eastwood will be here next season regardless of if we get promoted or not.

I think we'll cross that bridge when we come to it - we're not exactly in a position to be planning ahead

I reckon some league one sides will be sniffing around Mkandawire and Reeves in the summer. Will need to sign Bentley, Clohessy, Timlin and Tomlin up to a longer contract.

Mohsni will be gone in the summer too.

I think that between now and the end of the season, Bentley should get his chance to claim the number 1 shirt for next season.

Lund's contract is over at the end of the season and think he can be a good signing.

I want some of our key players signed up to renewed contracts before I start to think of anyone else! That will obviously depend on which league we are likely to be in, can't see Ron being prepared to negotiate on L1 terms if we are going to stay in L2.

I don't think we have a chance of Tam or Reeves really on permanents, Lund, though, might be a different matter.

I'm sure contract renewals will wait until Wembley and the the mathematical chance of the playoffs are out the way.

Go up we have to sign - Reeves, Mkandwire, Britt

If we don't - Simple we won't get any of them and may lose a few of our current squad

I'm sure contract renewals will wait until Wembley and the the mathematical chance of the playoffs are out the way.

Go up we have to sign - Reeves, Mkandwire, Britt

If we don't - Simple we won't get any of them and may lose a few of our current squad

I think if we go up, the quality of loan player we could attract in Div 3 would be much higher. Don't get me wrong Britt has well overachieved on the whole this season, but as a Championship Loanee example look at Britt and the guy Orient have from Millwall, Batt - he's different class to Britt (current Britt anyhoo - not suggesting he won't improve with age and experience).

All irrelevant though as we will still be in Div 4 next year

I think if we go up, the quality of loan player we could attract in Div 3 would be much higher. Don't get me wrong Britt has well overachieved on the whole this season, but as a Championship Loanee example look at Britt and the guy Orient have from Millwall, Batt - he's different class to Britt (current Britt anyhoo - not suggesting he won't improve with age and experience).

All irrelevant though as we will still be in Div 4 next year

Agreed that Britt has way exceeded expectations but he is a far better player when he is paired with Tomlin and has been off the boil the whole time Tomlin has been injured.
Britt will be surplus to requirements at Watford especially as they are challenging at the top end of the championship think we will get Britt if we go up.

Reeves & Mkandwire will all depend on promotion, Reeves certainly won't be in the picture down here in Southampton and Mkandwire I can't see breaking back into the Millwall side. If we manage to make the playoffs we may just attract these players.

Failing that there be a slight rebuilding process in the summer I feel

what may happen is the other 20.000 plus that will be at Wembley will all be fighting for season tickets At the start of the new season .With the extra money all comes will fight to sign for Southend . Silly isn't it oh well some of these post are to .

eastwood's finish yesterday was great, suggests there's still a decent player in there somewhere. i'm just disappointed that he still looks so overweight to me and it's not like he ain't had long enough to get fit. he is useless at chasing anything, he was getting beaten for pace by centre backs and i've seen milk turn quicker than he did yesterday. so frustrating because he showed yesterday just how good he would be for us if he worked hard to get himself fighting fit again!

Last edited:
eastwood's finish yesterday was great, suggests there's still a decent player in there somewhere. i'm just disappointed that he still looks so overweight to me and it's not like he ain't had long enough to get fit. he is useless at chasing anything, he was getting beaten for pace by centre backs and i've seen milk turn quicker than he did yesterday. so frustrating because he showed yesterday just how good he would be for us if he worked hard to get himself fighting fit again!

How good he would be if he worked hard to get fit? Seeing the goal yesterday he dosent have to be fully fit because he scored a decent goal. He would back 20 a season in the condition he is now. I would settle for that next season. If his fitness improves - bonus. I would take a 70% fit Freddie over anyone else we have got anytime.

We have a good squad, and we've had a lot of injuries. There's no need for major change, assuming the budget allows us to operate at a similar level and with similar players to this season. The increasing need to loan makes me really concerned about what state the finances are in.
The loans will go and a few will probably move on - Smith, Mohsni, Straker, Benyon, Spicer would be my bets. Apart from that, and assuming we don't go up, I'd try to retain the rest. Then add a few faces over the summer, mainly in midfield, and we'll be well placed for next term. We found it difficult to acquire anyone who genuinely enhanced the midfield last summer, but hopefully we'll have more luck this time around.

Seeing as we gave Neil Harris a 3 year contract 2 years ago I think its fairly safe to say he will be here next next season.

Back