• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A Century United

Firewalking for HD
There is a concerted campaign going on to drive Ron Martin out of business and deny him the chance to build Martin's Mall at Fosset's Farm. So what? Martin has a reputation for making enemies and saying what people want to hear while doing things they'd rather he didn't. Not many people would shed a tear if this campaign succeeds.

But there is a fly in the ointment - if Martin fails, then there will be no new Stadium for Southend United. Not even three quarters of one - and that spells doom for our club. Sadly, it seems that the people who want to see Martin given the bum's rush are quite happy to accept that as "collateral damage". I am not.

Bernie Friend's retelling of what is alleged to be Chris Philip's story of dreadful things bearing down on the Good Ship Martin is one symptom of this (No, I don't think CP and BF are conspirators but I do think they are being nicely manipulated). So why is this campaign (which has simmered on and off ever since the Blue Knights failed in their takeover attempt) boiling up again? It is because Southend Council are about to consider the latest re-writing of the Martin Plan for Fosset's. And it is designed squarely to influence Councillors in advance of that meeting. If this campaign succeeds, our club is done. Finished. It may seem nicely romantic to talk about a "phoenix club", of starting again at the bottom, all matey fans pulling together to build the club up again from nothing, but it is likely to be a fantasy. We would have nowhere to play. Nowhere to build a new stadium. And no guarantee of success. Best avoided if at all possible.

So what can we do about it? We can put aside our differences, put also to one side our (pretty understandable) dislike of our Chairman, and start lobbying our councillors, and lobbying hard - and the Trust must take a lead in this, not least by posting councillors emails so we can lobby our representatives directly. Having a successful League Club in the Town is a real asset, from bringing in trade to building the Town's profile - most Towns and Cities understand this, and it is up to us to make sure our Councillors do too.

One of our most influential posters and supporters has been saying lately that he no longer worries, and what will be will be. That is understandable - but it is playing into the hands of people who would happily destroy our club to see Martin fail, and that cannot be tolerated. I have no desire or appetite to line RM's pockets but if that is the price that has to be paid to secure the future of the club we ALL love then so be it.

Let's start making ourselves heard!

Would be nice if the council stated until the new stadium is completed including the main stand with written assurances the club will only ever pay nominal rent and until these happen nothing else can be built.

A good post ACU.

But I fail to see where this "campaign" is?

Yes there are a number of posters expressing their concerns and perhaps dislikes of the chairman and the current going's on. And the odd leak from the media......But a campaign?

I presume you are referring to myself in your closing paragraph?...Who's hands am I playing into?

And for clarification on my stance:

Am I concerned?.....Massively.
Do I agree with how the club is operated?....No
Do I want it to die?....Certainly not.
Do I want another chairman?....100%
Can I do anything about it?....Not really.

Hence my rather laid back attitude these days.

When is the council meeting? .Think that will be the decider and maybe tell us more.Also haven't yet renewed the Season ticket with all this "were doomed" doesn't make want to renew if the ships going to sink!!

A good post ACU.

But I fail to see where this "campaign" is?

Yes there are a number of posters expressing their concerns and perhaps dislikes of the chairman and the current going's on. And the odd leak from the media......But a campaign?

I presume you are referring to myself in your closing paragraph?...Who's hands am I playing into?

Every time there is an important decision to be made, these same stories start doing the rounds. It is no coincidence. I am also hearing these stories, embellished with anecdotes of Martin's tomfoolery and halfwittery, the subtext being "Martin is a clown who is bound to fail". In addition a close relative of mine, who is fairly involved with the local business community, is telling me the same, plus he (some time ago, admittedly) had talks with people at the Echo and confessed himself astonished at the extreme dislike evinced for Martin. He was also told while there that Martin would be belly-up within a year. That was four years ago.

A campaign is still a campaign if it works from the shadows and relies on Gossip and Inuendo. And for it to succeed, we just have to do nothing.

When is the council meeting? .Think that will be the decider and maybe tell us more.Also haven't yet renewed the Season ticket with all this "were doomed" doesn't make want to renew if the ships going to sink!!

Which demonstrates the real damage to the club that these stories do. Pay by Credit Card and though it will cost a bit more, you are covered.

But other than Bernie hinting at problems to come in the summer. Who has said we are "doomed" ??

This summer will be as difficult as any other. What's the fuss about?

But as we all know, the decision the council give on 10th April is massive. They know that and we know that. Are you suggesting we lobby the council in the run up?.....just like we all did last time.

But other than Bernie hinting at problems to come in the summer. Who has said we are "doomed" ??

This summer will be as difficult as any other. What's the fuss about?

But as we all know, the decision the council give on 10th April is massive. They know that and we know that. Are you suggesting we lobby the council in the run up?.....just like we all did last time.

You know that is just the tip of the iceberg, Smiffy. For the story to have got as far as Bernie posting it on Shrimperzone, it must have been circulating long enough and coming from enough directions to make him and CP think it worth retelling. And I too have heard unspecific stories of impending doom for Martin and his Empire. I am 700 miles away and not in the usual rumour circuit, so if it has got as far as me, it mut be being fed, told and re-told.

And Bloody right! We should be lobbying our councillors at every opportunity. It costs nothing, and by the nature of it, persistent lobbying is much more effective than occasional outbursts.

But I tell you this--though he won't do it for friendship's sake, if you keep knocking long enough, he will get up and give you whatever you need because of your shameless persistence.

Whatever happens I have no doubt Ron has his back well and truly covered,Fact is he owns the club and basically can do whatever he wants to it.

Shame

You know that is just the tip of the iceberg, Smiffy. For the story to have got as far as Bernie posting it on Shrimperzone, it must have been circulating long enough and coming from enough directions to make him and CP think it worth retelling. And I too have heard unspecific stories of impending doom for Martin and his Empire. I am 700 miles away and not in the usual rumour circuit, so if it has got as far as me, it mut be being fed, told and re-told.

And Bloody right! We should be lobbying our councillors at every opportunity. It costs nothing, and by the nature of it, persistent lobbying is much more effective than occasional outbursts.

At the end of the day mate. Stories are stories. Some will be true, some won't. But there is not a damn thing we can do about them if they do prove correct.

And I agree, if anyone feels worried about the decision the council will be making on April 10th, then let them know your concerns.

Me personally, I am done with all that. I am tired of it all. The stories bore me and the hyperbole bores me. I am now at the stage where I feel its best to just let nature take its course. If we go down, then I and every other fan will be there to bring us back up again. But we have no control over what happens to our club at present. That is down to Ron and to an extent the Council. It is out of our hands unfortunately. So all we can do is hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

It's not because I don't care. Far from it. I just feel completely and utterly helpless now and no longer believe my actions or decisions will influence our future either way.

I guess you could compare it to a girl you love beyond words, but constantly treats you like ****. You continue loving her and showering her with gifts in the hope she changes and feels the same about you. But eventually you realise nothing you can do will change her and you have to take a step back and let her sort herself out. And perhaps one day it will all work out and you live happily ever after.

At the end of the day mate. Stories are stories. Some will be true, some won't. But there is not a damn thing we can do about them if they do prove correct.

And I agree, if anyone feels worried about the decision the council will be making on April 10th, then let them know your concerns.

Me personally, I am done with all that. I am tired of it all. The stories bore me and the hyperbole bores me. I am now at the stage where I feel its best to just let nature take its course. If we go down, then I and every other fan will be there to bring us back up again. But we have no control over what happens to our club at present. That is down to Ron and to an extent the Council. It is out of our hands unfortunately. So all we can do is hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Rubbish. We have a voice, and failure to use that voice is just as culpable as actively campaigning against the club. You may be tired of sticking up for the club (not Ron, not his bank account, OUR club) but after 40 plus years I still want to see our club survive and grow, not wither and die.

No one is asking you to put your hand in your pocket, or to go on a march, simply to lobby your councillor. If you no longer have the love left in you to do something as simple as that, then things are bad indeed.

List of Southend Councillors

Click on the councillor's name to see his contact address and email.

It would be a big help if someone could dig out who is going to be considering and voting on the latest RonWorld plan, but please send your ward councillor an email in any case, simply stating:

• You are a supporter of SUFC.

• SUFC is an important figure head for the town, which is appreciated by most towns/cities with League Clubs.

• This Development is vital for the future of our club

• The ticket sales for Wembley underline how many people have an interest in Southend United

• Urge him/her to support the proposals

Again if anyone can flay up particular points that can be added to this please do.

Rubbish. We have a voice, and failure to use that voice is just as culpable as actively campaigning against the club. You may be tired of sticking up for the club (not Ron, not his bank account, OUR club) but after 40 plus years I still want to see our club survive and grow, not wither and die.

No one is asking you to put your hand in your pocket, or to go on a march, simply to lobby your councillor. If you no longer have the love left in you to do something as simple as that, then things are bad indeed.

Yes we do have a voice and we should of used that voice many years ago. But we didn't. That is why we are in such a bloody mess now. We were on the floor, in the gutter before Ron took over and we just let him waltz in and pick up everything our fathers/grandfathers and great grandfathers worked for. Hindsight is a wonderful thing of course.

I still love my club and that won't ever leave me. But I am afraid it is not a blind love anymore. I want something in return and I am just not getting that at the moment. All I see and hear is negative after negative and I hold my hands up, I too have turned far more negative than I ever ever thought I would. Especially after all I have done in the past. I think it has eaten away at me like a hideous disease and I feel drained by it all. But I will come back fighting one day and I will be there If I think I can make a difference. At the moment I don't think I can and that is very sad indeed.

Sits in Smiffy's corner.

There isn't a Smiffy's corner. There is Our Club's corner or no corner left at all.

This isn't about taking sides amongst ourselves, John. It is about putting differences aside for a few days and making one final effort to secure the future of the football club we all love.

Yes we do have a voice and we should of used that voice many years ago. But we didn't. That is why we are in such a bloody mess now. We were on the floor, in the gutter before Ron took over and we just let him waltz in and pick up everything our fathers/grandfathers and great grandfathers worked for. Hindsight is a wonderful thing of course.

I still love my club and that won't ever leave me. But I am afraid it is not a blind love anymore. I want something in return and I am just not getting that at the moment. All I see and hear is negative after negative and I hold my hands up, I too have turned far more negative than I ever ever thought I would. Especially after all I have done in the past. I think it has eaten away at me like a hideous disease and I feel drained by it all. But I will come back fighting one day and I will be there If I think I can make a difference. At the moment I don't think I can and that is very sad indeed.

And what if the day comes when it turns out that one last effort, one final push could have made the difference and you sat on your hands - you let yourself be drained by other people's fights, and then sat and watched while your club died?

I'm not going to do that, and if Southend go down, at least I will have fought to the last.

And what if the day comes when it turns out that one last effort, one final push could have made the difference and you sat on your hands - you let yourself be drained by other people's fights, and then sat and watched while your club died?

I'm not going to do that, and if Southend go down, at least I will have fought to the last.

I will do my bit in my own way. But perhaps more toned down and quieter from the Smiffy of old.

And I will also send an email off to the council. You're right that is the least I can do.

If you would like to lobby, then I would suggest going straight to the top and contacting Mr. Rob Tinlin the Chief Exec.

Fed up with it all. In the end its just rumours from people who never put up any proof and hide behind sources.
In fact evidence such as it is centres around history and the extent to which it predicts the future.
In that respect every single doomsday prophesy on the financial front has proved not to happen. Is it more or less likely to happen this time- no evidence I can see that its more likely. In fact we are told that the JPT writes off our losses for the season- so we have broken even having expected to lose 80k a week I guess its less likely.

I will do my bit in my own way. But perhaps more toned down and quieter from the Smiffy of old.

And I will also send an email off to the council. You're right that is the least I can do.

If you would like to lobby, then I would suggest going straight to the top and contacting Mr. Rob Tinlin the Chief Exec.

Excellent - thanks, Smiffy.

If one of the 'zoners more clued up than wot I is would like to summarise the main points we need to address (Firestorm?) it would be a great help.

Back