• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bobby dazzler

Manager
After two attempts to play the game were thwarted by a waterlogged pitch and the next time it being fog bound very few of us could get the time off or be bothered to actually go. Who will own up and join me in admitting to have nothing better to do than go and watch us get beaten in dreary cleethorpes. ???

I thought this game was only postponed once for a waterlogged pitch? The original date was Saturday 16th December it was then rearranged for the following Tuesday the 19th Dec. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The game that was postponed due to fog was a couple of seasons later.

But in answer to your question, yep unfortunately I was there!

I thought it was once as well. I was on the coach that pulled up to the Ground on the Saturday in bright sunshine only to be told the game was off. I couldn't get back on the Tuesday.

Whenever i hear " Grimsby Away " i drift back to May 7th 2005 , last game of the season with promotion a real possibility.
My new girlfriend the week before was trying to impress me and she had booked a long weekend for us in Nice, France as a birthday surprise. She just couldnt understand me when i said "thanks , but sorry i cant go - i'm going to Grimsby away "
Being the last game of the season we all went fancy dress and on this occasion , on the supporters bus.
I went as the legend that is Ian Benjamin -- proper blacked up , curly afro , the works. I even wore 4 pairs of boxers under those yellow Hi Tec shorts to get the full Benji bum shape. I sat next to my best mate dressed as Jimmy Saville on the bus - i wonder who is deemed more inappropriately attired now ???
Sadly it was in the days before camera phones so there no photographic evidence of a great day ....
(who could forget the infamous fake news that we were promoted + pitch invasion )

Luckily for me "Grimsby away" didnt kill off my relationship but my now wife still refuses to let me forget !!!

Whenever i hear " Grimsby Away " i drift back to May 7th 2005 , last game of the season with promotion a real possibility.
My new girlfriend the week before was trying to impress me and she had booked a long weekend for us in Nice, France as a birthday surprise. She just couldnt understand me when i said "thanks , but sorry i cant go - i'm going to Grimsby away "
Being the last game of the season we all went fancy dress and on this occasion , on the supporters bus.
I went as the legend that is Ian Benjamin -- proper blacked up , curly afro , the works. I even wore 4 pairs of boxers under those yellow Hi Tec shorts to get the full Benji bum shape. I sat next to my best mate dressed as Jimmy Saville on the bus - i wonder who is deemed more inappropriately attired now ???
Sadly it was in the days before camera phones so there no photographic evidence of a great day ....
(who could forget the infamous fake news that we were promoted + pitch invasion )

Luckily for me "Grimsby away" didnt kill off my relationship but my now wife still refuses to let me forget !!!

I remember a previous last game of the season away at Grimsby - 4th May 1997, one of the weird things I remember from that game was that a fox ran onto the pitch during the game, did a lap of the ground and then left again! Have never seen it before or since! Oh, and we lost 4-0!

I went to the fog match, got there in good time, had a pint in the home bar in the main with a few other early Shrimpers; got my fish and chips and had a very slow and tiring drive back again.
For some reason I didn't fancy the replay!

I can confidently say that, while the official Shrimper attendance was about 20, at least 59 of those fondly recall being at the game.

I went to the fog match, got there in good time, had a pint in the home bar in the main with a few other early Shrimpers; got my fish and chips and had a very slow and tiring drive back again.
For some reason I didn't fancy the replay!

I went to the fog game - went up by coach, so at least I didn't have to drive home.

Also remember the 'promotion' game; never forgiven their fans for forcing the ref to bottle it and finish the game early.

Seeing them fall into the conference was very pleasing :smile:

DTS and I arrived in Grimsby by train, got off the train was told immediately by a fellow shrimper that the match was off and to cross the platform for the next train back as we still had time to catch a match in Rotherham.

We arrived in Rotherham station at 3.00pm ran all the way to the ground and watched a thrilling goalless draw against Huddersfield.

And no we didn't go the following Tuesday

(who could forget the infamous fake news that we were promoted + pitch invasion

Yeah, about that fake news :unsure: I suppose I better come clean about that unfortunate episode. Now I'm not making excuses (well actually I am) but I overheard a couple of gents who were bent over a radio say Swansea had scored and.........well I had a belly full of beer and got a tad over excited and well, it was me who screamed out 'SWANSEA JUST SCORED'

Erm, sorry about that. :blush:

I have vivid memories of leaning against the back wall enjoying a nice cold pint and saying to my mate "It was good of Ian Benjamin to turn up" as you waited patiently in the food/drink queue under the away stand. I'm pretty sure the Queen had made the trip too and was in the same queue

I have vivid memories of leaning against the back wall enjoying a nice cold pint and saying to my mate "It was good of Ian Benjamin to turn up" as you waited patiently in the food/drink queue under the away stand. I'm pretty sure the Queen had made the trip too and was in the same queue

I think it was at that time that quite a lot of our crowd spotted me and started a huge rendition of "Who put the ball in the Bury net ..... "

Happy days .....:smile:

I went to the fog game - went up by coach, so at least I didn't have to drive home.

Also remember the 'promotion' game; never forgiven their fans for forcing the ref to bottle it and finish the game early.

Seeing them fall into the conference was very pleasing :smile:

I also went on the coach to the fog game. Remember watching Uncle Buck and turning round somewhere near Doncaster but not a lot else. Still had a good laugh, but was a bit cheesed off paying money out to just watch a movie and an uncomfortable long drive up north on a cold Tuesday.
Also went to the promotion game, dressed as the Pink Panther with a Yellow Hi Tec shirt on. Got some pictures on the pitch afterwards too.
I agree with you Jay, never much liked Grimsby before this game , but after their fans happiness at our missing out on automatic promotion, I was very pleased when they went out the league.
Also think Sacha Baron Cohen makes Grimsby look nicer than reality in the film, what a dump!!! :thumbdown:

I also went on the coach to the fog game. Remember watching Uncle Buck and turning round somewhere near Doncaster but not a lot else. Still had a good laugh, but was a bit cheesed off paying money out to just watch a movie and an uncomfortable long drive up north on a cold Tuesday.
Also went to the promotion game, dressed as the Pink Panther with a Yellow Hi Tec shirt on. Got some pictures on the pitch afterwards too.
I agree with you Jay, never much liked Grimsby before this game , but after their fans happiness at our missing out on automatic promotion, I was very pleased when they went out the league.
Also think Sacha Baron Cohen makes Grimsby look nicer than reality in the film, what a dump!!! :thumbdown:

Erm you know some of that (maybe all of it I don't actually know) was filmed in Essex and at Roots Hall?

Back