• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Martin out?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DTS

The Business
Old Dave Martin was one of my first heroes. For those of you that never saw him you missed a big strong defensive minded player who could win headers at will and was as hard as nails. He was never the most gifted but he made up for that with his courage and will to win.

New Dave Martin has more pedigree than Old Dave. But can he live up to the name?

Dave Martin was the Guvnor in the early 90's team. Tough and hard. Totally different to the new Dave Martin playing in a totally different type of team. You really can't compare

I remember the first Dave Martin well but let's see the new boy play first before we are asked such a question.

Old Dave Martin was one of my first heroes. For those of you that never saw him you missed a big strong defensive minded player who could win headers at will and was as hard as nails. He was never the most gifted but he made up for that with his courage and will to win.

New Dave Martin has more pedigree than Old Dave. But can he live up to the name?
old dave 3 promotions 86/87 89/90 90/91 267 app ............. lets hope hope so.

The old Dave spent 7 years at RH, 266 games with 28 goals including the opener during the 3-2 win over Spurs (Gazza, Lineker et al) in 1989

If the new chap is half as successful he'll have done very very well indeed ... here's hoping

I just hope that new Dave Martin doesn't get booked as often as old Dave Martin. My son and I used to have bets as to how many minutes into the game old Dave Martin would get booked!

I just hope that new Dave Martin doesn't get booked as often as old Dave Martin. My son and I used to have bets as to how many minutes into the game old Dave Martin would get booked!

Ha!! valid point .. the Dave Martin of old makes Bilel look a positive SAINT :angel:

"Dave Martin takes no ****" was the song if I remember correctly.
Just shows how the game has changed (for the worst) even in my life time. Him and Peter Butler in midfield, both of whom liked a tackle.

Wasn't the "old" Dave Martin an England under 21 captain (or was it under 18?) ........... I always wondered how it was that he "ended up" at Southend .......... but I liked to see him play - and with people like Peter Butler, there certainly was some substance to the midfield ..........:stunned:

I think Dave Martin was captain when we started the season away at Newcastle (and lost 3-2) ...... and despite it being August and hot and sunny all the way up the A1, it rained continuously for 90 minutes and all the away supporters got soaked through ......... all the Geordie fans were in the covered sections of course .......... :Red card:

I hope the new DM is as good or better than the original DM. If so...what an addition! Original Dave was a 100% player and great bloke.

Yes, was at Newcastle on that wet opening day..and concern over the new manager just from his attire that day. Colin Murphy had a tartan blanket over his legs...similar to another tartan blanket fan at the time...the late Queen Mum!! You just had to look at it and ...squirm.

Wasn't the "old" Dave Martin an England under 21 captain (or was it under 18?) ........... I always wondered how it was that he "ended up" at Southend .......... but I liked to see him play - and with people like Peter Butler, there certainly was some substance to the midfield ..........:stunned:

I think Dave Martin was captain when we started the season away at Newcastle (and lost 3-2) ...... and despite it being August and hot and sunny all the way up the A1, it rained continuously for 90 minutes and all the away supporters got soaked through ......... all the Geordie fans were in the covered sections of course .......... :Red card:

except the ones who were in our end of course!!!

Back