• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southendsleeper

Manager
Another great match.

Where did all that noise come from? Who woke up the South West stand? A great atmosphere maybe evn louder than the Col U match. And the drummer made me laugh.

Got the beach ball out again in the second half.

Nice moment, Lawson spotting the fan with his name on his shirt after scoring, a huge grin on his face. His goal was well taken (his height causes problems in the box), and his alround game was superb, he run past defenders with the ball, cross, and with a bit of confidence the goal gave him could do well. Deserved his standing ovation.

The Oldham substitutes did for us in the second half, we got a bit complacent and found it hard to just clear it.

I was also there the day Adam Barrett had a bad game for us, another surging run up field leaving us weak at the back, a good couple of passes to the opposition, and nearly a headed own goal. He seems unsure of himself and I hope he returns to form soon. And who was there when Barrett lost the ball, Maher. Bloody superb. Barrett and Guttridge collide, who tidies up the defence. He was everywhere, spreading the ball wide to set up another attack.

Most important thing to come from this match is how much we belong in this division. We've only been narrowly beaten, we've lost our star striker and yet are playing fantastically, some of the passing and crossing is superb.

The ref was good and got (most of) his decisions right.

Plus I also can say I saw Spinner play upfront.

We could have scored more (eagle's carbon copy of Lawson's goal except well saved, Gower's cross come shot, Goaters bullet header which riccocheted out), but we have to be happy with that performance.

Yep lawson had a good game although he is way short of match fitness. We should have buried oldham by half time but as per usual we seem to gift teams a goal and set up another tense last half hour. I honestly thought the ref was apalling. He gave both teams rediculous free kicks. The linesman was at fault for the oldham goal. There player was miles offside he didnt give we clear and the ball ends up in the net. I think gutteridge and maher play really well together. When we get freddy and gray back we will be a really decent team at this level. I didnt think we got out of second gear today, but when we do we will give somebody a hiding. Incidentally i thought that the fans were the quietest i can remember for a long time today. In the last 10 mins they perked up but other than that i couldnt hear anything. The heat doesn't help though.

(ps) How good a ball was that to gower for the second goal...:;):

Cole's two assists today were superb, as were the two headers to finish them off. A very pleasing result
smile.gif

Just got back. Great performance in the first half. Sloppy in the 2nd. Got so frustrating. The ref has decent but the linesman running along near the west stand desreved to be shot. He was awful!

As for the team. Good display from Maher. Was solid and passed well. Got in tackles when the others went walking. Poor old Barrett. Lets just hope he puts this game behind him. Lawson - superb!! Jus seemed to tire in the midde of the nd half. If he can work onhis fitness he would do a great job for us. Also a mention to Jay as when he came on we seemed to pass the ball aroun and keep it better than we had done in the 2nd half. And Spinner upfront - worth the ticket alone!!

tounge.gif

Overall - good performance but need to know how to kill a game off and not be complacent. And who needs agogo when you have Lawson!!

oh and on the fans - the west bank was very quiet i thougt today. Started off well but then disappeared until the last ten minutes really. The occassional chant appeared but nothing to the magnitude of Southampton or Col Ewe.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ Sep. 04 2005,18:10)]oh and on the fans - the west bank was very quiet i thougt today. Started off well but then disappeared until the last ten minutes really. The occassional chant appeared but nothing to the magnitude of Southampton or Col Ewe.
i'll admit where I sit in the South West is normally quiet, but there was loads of noise today.

And from the North West there were repeated chants of Stand Up if you love Southend, Oldham Oldham whats the score, I thought they were noisy the whole way through.

You've got me worried now, that rumbling must have been in my head
tounge.gif

Plus special mention must go to the fact that 2 balls were booted out of the ground during the game, including a classic Oldham skyrocket

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southendsleeper @ Sep. 04 2005,18:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ Sep. 04 2005,18:10)]oh and on the fans - the west bank was very quiet i thougt today. Started off well but then disappeared until the last ten minutes really. The occassional chant appeared but nothing to the magnitude of Southampton or Col Ewe.
i'll admit where I sit in the South West is normally quiet, but there was loads of noise today.

And from the North West there were repeated chants of Stand Up if you love Southend, Oldham Oldham whats the score, I thought they were noisy the whole way through.

You've got me worried now, that rumbling must have been in my head  
tounge.gif

Plus special mention must go to the fact that 2 balls were booted out of the ground during the game, including a classic Oldham skyrocket
Don't get me wrong - The crowd were there. Jus comparing it to Southampton and Col Ewe.

And the sky rocket was class. Peter Kay would of been proud of it!!

tounge.gif

And another very special mention to the blue belles whos hot pants are getting tighter and shorter - i am sure of it!!

biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

Great day all round, if we ever needed evidence that we can compete in this league it was today - we completely outplayed them in the first half and could have been three or four up. Lawson had an excellent game and fully deserved the ovation. Poor old Beno though - how the hell is he going to get back in the side when Gutts in such amazing form?!?

the reason it was so quiet in the north west was because the security kept making us all sit down meanin less of an atmosphere

oh i wondered what was going on. I heard something going on - and that was it. oh coming clearer now. But why did tht make you sit down? Don't normally.

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpa @ Sep. 04 2005,19:34)]the reason it was so quiet in the north west was because the security kept making us all sit down ...
God forbid! In an all-seater stadium IN ENGLAND where the rules and regulations of the FLA state that everyone must sit down?! And they made you SIT DOWN?!

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpa @ Sep. 04 2005,18:34)]the reason it was so quiet in the north west was because the security kept making us all sit down meanin less of an atmosphere
Only because everyone was getting pi$$ed off about it.
I like standing at games more than anyone but the rules say sit down, so we have to sit down. They were only doing their job. Some people were just being silly about it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Sep. 04 2005,18:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpa @ Sep. 04 2005,19:34)]the reason it was so quiet in the north west was because the security kept making us all sit down ...
God forbid! In an all-seater stadium where the rules and regulations state that everyone must sit down?! And they made you SIT DOWN?!

WS
** yawn **

I really do think we can make the playoffs....Cant wait to see us score 4 or 5 past someone
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (silentshrimper @ Sep. 04 2005,19:05)]I really do think we can make the playoffs....Cant wait to see us score 4 or 5 past someone
tounge.gif
After that performance we should comfortably make the top half, and you never know a play off place may just be possible!

Having spent the first 10 years of my Blues-supporting life in the West I ventured back there today after 7 years in the East and the atmosphere I thought was great, it really showed me how much I've missed it over that side and I know where my season ticket will be next season....

If some of you regulars thought the West wasn't up to the Southampton/Col Ewe standards I've clearly been away too long
tounge.gif

Sitting (well standing actually) in my position at the back of the family stand, i thought it was rather quiet as well. When the going began to get little tougher, the Fam Enc awoke to the cause and roared us on to victory - as we normally do!!!!

The kids love it! It's one of those chants that can universally be used by those who do not sing....and the kids arms all waving along with the adults is really good to see. What does it look like from elsewhere in the ground?

Hmmm.... but using the 'easy' chant is a bit silly when we're only 2-1 up.... and very much so when we're 2-1 down to Port Vale!
tounge.gif

Back