• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who would Fagan be playing that he has coached ?

camden shrimper

Youth Team
This seems to be the narrative that people keep coming back to, but surely next season isn't a literal promotion for the youngsters now being the core of the first team?

It’s difficult to say who would play, but off the top of my head, the players that could be called upon, that Craig has managed are;

Harry Phillips,
Tom Clifford
Michael Klass
Isaac Hutchinson
Eren Kinali
Matt Rush
Miles Mitchell-Nelson
Terrell Egbri

It’s difficult to say who would play, but off the top of my head, the players that could be called upon, that Craig has managed are;

Harry Phillips,
Tom Clifford
Michael Klass
Isaac Hutchinson
Eren Kinali
Matt Rush
Miles Mitchell-Nelson
Terrell Egbri
And Richard Taylor

Reactions: GBJ

Harry Phillips,
Tom Clifford
Michael Klass
Isaac Hutchinson
Eren Kinali
Matt Rush
Miles Mitchell-Nelson
Terrell Egbri

From that list, only really Isaac, Tom and maybe Michael are good enough to feature regularly from what I’ve seen. If the new manager is given the tools and brings in the right sort of players, we shouldn’t have to rely on the others who in my opinion are nothing more than backup options at present.

The U23 job is his second stint here. Do we know which players he also worked with on his first stint here?

FWIW these are the current players who have played for the first team who appeared for the u23s last season

Seaden, C Taylor
Demetriou
Clifford
R Taylor, Mitchell-Nelson, Lennon
Dieng, Klass, Phillips, Hutchinson, Gard
Egbri, Kinali, Barratt
Acquah, Rush, Kelman

This seems to be the narrative that people keep coming back to, but surely next season isn't a literal promotion for the youngsters now being the core of the first team?
Interesting thread and I'm always impressed at the background knowledge some of our posters show with these sort of questions. I do just want to chip in though that Fagan's record at U23 and his connection to some of our advancing players probably isn't the FULL narrative. It's not for me anyway.

For me, Fagan has two critical things going for him that would be great strengths if he was part of the next Southend management team:

1) Experience being a part of "this level of football" for "this type of club". Having been with us for a while, not only has Fagan built up some knowledge of this level, but he's also gained deep insight into working conditions here and what it might take to be successful. He knows, for instance, more than most other candidates what working with Ron Martin in these conditions and under these financial pressures will be like.

2) Credibility and Communication skills. From what I've seen in interviews, Fagan also possesses THE MOST IMPORTANT skill-set that our club needs in the next appointment. For so many reasons, success is going to be built on the next manager's ability to build a group, convince them of their brilliance and motivate them to succeed. He certainly came across to me as a great communicator who is both passionate and articulate, someone who I really could see a team of footballers buying into.

As I said, great thread. But it's not just about the U23s connection.

Interesting thread and I'm always impressed at the background knowledge some of our posters show with these sort of questions. I do just want to chip in though that Fagan's record at U23 and his connection to some of our advancing players probably isn't the FULL narrative. It's not for me anyway.

For me, Fagan has two critical things going for him that would be great strengths if he was part of the next Southend management team:

1) Experience being a part of "this level of football" for "this type of club". Having been with us for a while, not only has Fagan built up some knowledge of this level, but he's also gained deep insight into working conditions here and what it might take to be successful. He knows, for instance, more than most other candidates what working with Ron Martin in these conditions and under these financial pressures will be like.

2) Credibility and Communication skills. From what I've seen in interviews, Fagan also possesses THE MOST IMPORTANT skill-set that our club needs in the next appointment. For so many reasons, success is going to be built on the next manager's ability to build a group, convince them of their brilliance and motivate them to succeed. He certainly came across to me as a great communicator who is both passionate and articulate, someone who I really could see a team of footballers buying into.

He also won't have spent his salary in advance of receiving it I am sure.....
If the manager can talk frankly and honestly about his experiences and why, with everything going on, he is still committed to the project that should speak volumes to prospective players or those unmotivated.

He will also know the most important thing in any player.....Their character.....What time do they arrive, have they been out the night before, are they keen to train, are they a plus in the dressing room, was playing in the under 23's a chore for the senior pros, If they weren't playing did they stay and watch the game after their training had finished.

Then comes the training....I'm sure we have all played Sunday football with jokers who jog out and make it fun and malingerers who don't really fancy it and ponce about with some pointless knee strap, which is more of a mental support than physical one.....On a cold day will they look like Zavon Hines with snood on tight, hands down the front of their leggings and hardly move during 10 v 10. Will they look like Jack Bridge in the same 10 v10....out wide uninterested and the baring of a kid who hates PE.

Then when they play in an Essex senior cup or checkafraud....Will they score then fake injury because Billericay is beneath them, like Ranger did....Or will they put in an eye catching performance like Elvis did a Gillingham when he got his chance.

I haven't watched a 23's game with Fagan in charge but some players did try and take the **** when Maher was in charge.....Especially at Billericay, I knew then that Jack Bridge would be playing for us again....Fagan already knows who he can rely on and trust......What are their agents or even parents like?

Of course the list is endless and that before you even talk about first team games or being on the bench.......Tilly had all this knowledge the first time around but none of it now so and with respect for all you gave us.... No thanks.

So that leaves the equation of Currie (if he is available) over Fagan......Has Currie got the character to come in and be a plus. Its still a big step up to league football and the Cowley's had the chance to grow with Lincoln

There is also a theory in football that promoting within usually fails.....Not always to do with the man in charge but more of how the players react.....Fagan has a good chance because there are plenty of academy/young lads boys in the squad. Plus he would need more of John White rather than Kiernan and Cox.

Last and by no means least.....None of the above may count.....We can only guess at what might happen between now and next May......The list of possibilities is endless from clubs going under to football being a shining light of success in these daft political times.

If anyone claims to know, or has the answers, from Ron down to Dagenham Kev.....They are talking s**te.......Which is why we all love the beautiful game.

We are stepping into the unknown...We don't need to fear next season because everyone else is in the same position......You are a Southend United fan, so get on with it because you signed for life whether you like it or not. Nobody ever said it was going to be a Sunday afternoon Tea dance at the Ritz.

Back