• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Streaky

Manager⭐
Evening

Simple question really, who would win if Southend United of September 2009 played Southend United of September 2010 at Roots Hall?

The team sheets below are from last weeks game against Bradford and from the first game of September last year (a 3-0 home win against bOrient with Barnard scoring a second half hatrick).

Steve Tilson----------------Paul Sturrock

GK Mildenhall --------------Morris
DF Francis-----------------Clohessy
DF Barrett ----------------Moshni
DF Mvoto ------------------Barker
DF Herd --------------------Gilbert
MF Scannell ----------------Simpson
MF Grant-------------------Grant
MF McCormack--------------Easton
MF Moussa -----------------Hall
FW Laurent-----------------Corr
FW Barnard-----------------Sturrock

SUBS USED
Sawyer--------------------Paterson
Walker---------------------Soares
Freedman------------------Prosser

Personally i reckon SUFC of 2009 would edge it 2-1, with goals from Barnard & Scannell. Blues of 2010 would score from a set piece (every other team did against 2009 Southend!) maybe Corr getting on the end of a corner.

Bookings McCormack and Grant (probably one for each side!) :dizzy:

The 2010 side looks stronger defensively but the fact remains that the 2009 side could score goals......well Barnard could score goals anyway. This year's side is potentially a stronger unit but the fact we look powder puff offensively is a worry. Sturrock seems to have got things right at one end, if he can do the same with the other we can really go for promotion this season.

I'd have to give the 2010 side the edge......

4-0 to Sept 2009 side. Orient are a league above us, if the side we have now is better we should be top of the league by now seeing as we would be too good for this division.

Personally feel Barnard would be too much for this Southend team, and would (like he did against Orient) score the goals that would win it for them, however I feel 2010 team would put up a tough test!

Also if you have played Fifa you can play England vs Chelsea if you wanted, so players like Lampard would be on both teams, it could work in the fictional sense still!

0-0

2009 Southend are better going forward
2010 Southend are better defensively

Unfortunately a sad reminder of how far we have fallen. With the exception of Herd (and obviously Grant) far superior players in every position.

edit - that might be a bit unfair on Simpson too as he has a touch of class

Last edited:
Unfortunately a sad reminder of how far we have fallen. With the exception of Herd (and obviously Grant) far superior players in every position.

edit - that might be a bit unfair on Simpson too as he has a touch of class

I think that just about sums last season up, a team of players that looked far better on paper than they were on the park, we've done the reasons to death but last years squad was, in theory, too good to go down but go down it did..... For that reason I think that if the 2010 side played with the style they showed against Bristol they would probably edge it as they look a more connected side, even though they've only been together for 5 minutes and that shows last years problems to perfection - good players but not a team.

My combined team would be

Mildenhall
Francis Moshni Barker Gilbert
Simpson Grant* Easton Moussa
Barnard Sturrock

*2010 over 2009, as he's a year more experienced

That's 4 from 2009 and 7 from 2010. I think it would be a tight game, possibly 0-0 but I wouldn't trust 2009 to keep a clean sheet and 2010 I'd favour at set pieces and have more options off the bench.

Take it further & compare the Sept side of 2008 with those two, e.g. the 3-0 drubbing of Orient (Barney, Sawyer & Freedman* with the goals)

* - this was an injury free Dougie who was never the same again, injuring himself scoring his goal. 18/09/08 IIRC

Take it further & compare the Sept side of 2008 with those two, e.g. the 3-0 drubbing of Orient (Barney, Sawyer & Freedman* with the goals)

* - this was an injury free Dougie who was never the same again, injuring himself scoring his goal. 18/09/08 IIRC

Or we could compare it with our title winning side.

Just for the fact that 2009 has Barnard I would go for a 3-1 win to the 2009 side.

The 2009 side had more going forward but were not exactly water tight at the back.

The 2010 side while better at the back do not have as much up front and also still gelling as a team.

Last edited:
Excellent thread - and certainly one that gives a lot of opinion on ! !

There are a lot of very good points made about this, and the one I think hits the nail on the head, is that individually the 2009 version have better players, but so far, the 2010 version seems to be a better team - as evidenced by the Carling Cup games. But that is another arguement...

Overall, I still feel the 2009 team would win - due to Lee Barnard up front. As evidenced by multiple threads since the start of the season, the 2010 squad is missing a striker who would score regularly and a fully fit and in-form Barney was the reason we kept our heads above water until after the January transfer window. Score - 2-1, with the Mosh getting a late consolation to a brace from Barney either side of the break. Barrett to be booked within 20 minutes for repeated fouls on Corr. Corr to get booked within 22 minutes for getting his own back...

I think Sturrock would make subs quicker than Tilly as well...:clap:

It'd certainly be interesting, especially given 2009's complete inability to defend set-pieces coupled with the height and physical presence Corr and Moshni provide when attacking the dead-ball.

The only redeeming quality for '09 would be Barnard's potency in front of goal, although '09 Macca struggled to create chances against most two-man midfields, so I don't know how he'd cope against Easton, Grant and Simpson.

Excellent thread - and certainly one that gives a lot of opinion on ! !

There are a lot of very good points made about this, and the one I think hits the nail on the head, is that individually the 2009 version have better players, but so far, the 2010 version seems to be a better team - as evidenced by the Carling Cup games. But that is another arguement...

Overall, I still feel the 2009 team would win - due to Lee Barnard up front. As evidenced by multiple threads since the start of the season, the 2010 squad is missing a striker who would score regularly and a fully fit and in-form Barney was the reason we kept our heads above water until after the January transfer window. Score - 2-1, with the Mosh getting a late consolation to a brace from Barney either side of the break. Barrett to be booked within 20 minutes for repeated fouls on Corr. Corr to get booked within 22 minutes for getting his own back...

I think Sturrock would make subs quicker than Tilly as well...:clap:

And I reckon that Grant (2009) will get sent off for a hard challenge on Grant (2010)

Back