• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who would you rather keep?

• Bentley

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Payne

Votes: 131 91.0%

• Total voters

Sandbach Shrimper

Life President⭐
With both our star men out of contract in the summer, who would you (hypothetically) rather keep? A few months ago I would've said Bentley but on recent form I think I'd rather keep Payne. Having a player like that who can carry the ball and beat defenders is so valuable, and quite rare.

Payne is a much more valuable asset, in terms of what he provides and what we could potentially get for him. He's also the type of player who can turn a game and get the crowd going.

The question should be Bentley, Payne or Brown. So for me it would be Brown. Its our best chance of keeping Payne.

The thing is we (potentially) have a ready-made replacement for Bentley, not for Payne.

Payne makes things happen. He's a player you'd pay the entrance fee just to watch him.

I'm not slagging Bentley off at all but after last season I have been disappointed this term as I don't think he's really kicked on.

Could be massively wrong but from what I've seen this season Bentley has let the hype go to his head a bit. I'm eager to see what Ted Smith can do. I think Dan has issues with concentration in matches and I think maybe we're close to the point where it is in everyone's interest for him to move on if we end up getting some compensation back.

Payne is just a bit special. You don't get many players like that. I think he'll get better and better as he adds more end product and has more games like last night.

Got to be Payne for me. When he gets a bit more bulk on him and a season or two more experience he will be a very good player and probably in a Championship team.

Payne. He has more to come.

Bentley is a great keeper but as said already, we have Smith who will hopefully take his place.

I think its easier to replace a keeper than to find someone with a bit of flair. The skill and talent Payne has is far rarer, if he continues to develop he will be far more valuable to us than a keeper.

Next year we need to sort the defence out first or we'll get nowhere. It's a very tough choice but I'd just prefer Bentley over Payne. Many defenders this season have known how to play Jack and nullify his game. Others will learn.

I was thinking on exactly these lines last night.

I agree keeping Payne should be a priority. Players as mentioned above with that something extra who can excite a crowd and score goals are just so rare, and makes going to the match so much more to be looked forward to.

Sadly if he is out of contract in the summer my hopes are not that high that he will be here next season. Still we live in hope.

I

Well, this is a novel way of making one of our "star men" feel unwanted!! If I was Dan - I would be on the phone to my agent and shouting "I'm a potentially great keeper - get me outta here!"

Jack all day for me, I think dans found his level for the moment, a couple of seasons at league one and hopefully he could push on to the big time. His performances have been average this year apart from one or two games.

Well, this is a novel way of making one of our "star men" feel unwanted!! If I was Dan - I would be on the phone to my agent and shouting "I'm a potentially great keeper - get me outta here!"

Very true. Bentley is the reason we are in L1. Despite what some say he is the reason we have had a comfortable season.

After a bad start to the season he was MOM at Coventry, it gave the whole club a lift and we won our next game. With a patched up side, Prosser at left back, at Millwall again Bentley was MOM. We won five out of six after that which meant the pressure was off.

After three bad defeats around the New year he again has a blinder at Peterborough. We go on to win a three in a row and that kept us close to the top six.

Don't forget he kept us in the game at Col U in the first 30 minutes. Dealt with everything at home to Coventry.

As always on the zone some have short memories.

Bentley is a good keeper and his shot stopping is up there with some Prem keepers , however GK'ing at the highest level is much more than just shot stopping , the decision making , the pressure ,the commandment of your area, the mind games with CF's and most importantly as to what Beefy alluded to Concentration.

Dan needs to improve on a few of these area's,notably his concentration and communication from set pieces , last night he was busy sorting his wall out and left us terribly exposed at the back post with a 3 vs 5 situation , not all his fault granted but its happened more than once or twice for it to be a coincidence .

A lot of Scouts use Statistic based analysis now and I think with our statistics showing the amount of goals conceded via set pieces it won;t of gone unnoticed.

Dan needs to improve on a few of these area's,notably his concentration and communication from set pieces , last night he was busy sorting his wall out and left us terribly exposed at the back post with a 3 vs 5 situation , not all his fault granted but its happened more than once or twice for it to be a coincidence .

A big flaw in Bentley's game is free kicks. I don't mean last night although he didn't exactly cover himself in glory

But I mean when someone takes a shot at goal direct from a free kick, if they get it on target there's a very good chance its going in as Dan has a tendency to dive very late and with his arms wide open

I can think back to Bradford, Crewe as a prime example and even the Play Off Final where this has happened and there's more but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Both talented young players still have a lot to learn and improve upon if they have hopes of making it at a higher level i.e.Championship.Payne seems to be doing so,but Bentley does not.

Payne makes things happen. He's a player you'd pay the entrance fee just to watch him.

I'm not slagging Bentley off at all but after last season I have been disappointed this term as I don't think he's really kicked on.

If anything he has gone backwards. He has made a lot of mistakes this season. I am in the pro Bentley camp but I have been far from impressed this season. Nearly put the ball in his own net last night but also made a couple of great saves.

Back