• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Whole squad on furlough - or not!

camden shrimper

Youth Team
According to The Echo, makes sense from a pure business perspective, not great for morale or keeping players onside who have the option to leave....

I mentioned this earlier on another thread.

It’s my understanding that some of the team aren’t particularly happy with it, nor with the lack of communication from the club over the past four months.

they can be as upset as they want but they are footballers and there is no football to be played, they are in the same situation as millions of people around the country, in fact a better situation than many people on furlough who are effectively redundant but don't know it yet.

they can be as upset as they want but they are footballers and there is no football to be played, they are in the same situation as millions of people around the country, in fact a better situation than many people on furlough who are effectively redundant but don't know it yet.

Firstly the players have not accepted it yet, and secondly I don’t think the contracts are as cut and dry as just accepting 80% of their wages.

I’m trying to get clarification now, but I believe there’s more to it than people are realising.

If the club need to cut costs while the is little or no income then what else can the club do? Other clubs have done this, some even telling staff not to come back afterwards, is there another solution?

I cannot moan at the club for doing what others have done but much later.

For the record my wife has been furloughed, she is on a fitted term contract, and all the process involves receiving a letter about your annual salary, nothing else like pensions and benefits, if you accept you sign it and return, if you dont you let them know. I cant say what happens after that if you do not accept.

Isn’t a guaranteed 80% pay each month more reassuring than not getting 100% ?

I’d reckon so. But maybe the club is also paying the remaining 20% on top, to make it 100% like some companies have done as well. I don’t know the arrangement obviously, I would guess we are not but even then I cannot moan at the club over it as a lot of businesses have done it and some of those are a lot bigger companies than SUFC

It’s 80% of £2500 monthly cap. For some of the players they will earn a lot more than that, some that may even be their weekly wage.

Perhaps but they are all heading for a pay cut next season.

There are 9.8 million people in the same position- with no indication of when the new season starts, no income at all, it’s sadly difficult to see why the clubs players and staff would be insulated from the same steps taken elsewhere inside and outside the game.

I mentioned this earlier on another thread.

It’s my understanding that some of the team aren’t particularly happy with it, nor with the lack of communication from the club over the past four months.

When has Ron ever been good with communication, hence why is a sh*t businessman.

• Haha
Reactions: GBJ
It’s 80% of £2500 monthly cap. For some of the players they will earn a lot more than that, some that may even be their weekly wage.

£2500 per week is below the average wage at Southend. There are still people on £5k a week, some on £4K. Plenty on £3k.

Some of the players have mortgage payments of £6k-£8k per month, alongside car rentals, credit cards, utility bills etc etc.

One player has said furlough payment is £1700 net.

We would all love to swap our wage packets with a pro footballer, but it’s worth remembering that their debts won’t be like the average workers.

If my debts were anywhere near £10k a month, I’d be exceptionally anxious right now. We all would.

£2500 per week is below the average wage at Southend. There are still people on £5k a week, some on £4K. Plenty on £3k.

Some of the players have mortgage payments of £6k-£8k per month, alongside car rentals, credit cards, utility bills etc etc.

One player has said furlough payment is £1700 net.

We would all love to swap our wage packets with a pro footballer, but it’s worth remembering that their debts won’t be like the average workers.

If my debts were anywhere near £10k a month, I’d be exceptionally anxious right now. We all would.

With the mortgage payments id like to hope that most of them have take up the holiday option. Should help then for a couple of months.

That doesn't surprise me - it's a short career so the wise thing to do is to pay off your mortgage ASAP. That said £8k a month on £20K gross is still quite a stretch.

The less wise thing to do is to splash money on the card and drive flash motors but then again do any of us want to see our heroes driving a Renault Fuego or Nissan Bluebird?

With the mortgage payments id like to hope that most of them have take up the holiday option. Should help then for a couple of months.

With mortgage payments like that missing a few payments is still a big problem.

That doesn't surprise me - it's a short career so the wise thing to do is to pay off your mortgage ASAP.

The less wise thing to do is to splash money on the card and drive flash motors but then again do any of us want to see our heroes driving a Renault Fuego or Nissan Bluebird?

Yep. A 10-year-mortgage might be enough to give us mere mortals a nose bleed, but it’s common practice with footballers.

As for credit & cars, I think most players live within their means. It’s just that their means aren’t the same as us fans (or most of us, at least).

If you’re earning £20k a month, it’s not that concerning to have debts of £10k a month.... until moments like this, of course

Back