• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Whole squad on furlough - or not!

No idea if this has been mentioned already or not and I am a huge John White fan but considering the whole squad has declined being furloughed, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell you not to go on Instagram and start showing off your new BMW.

Now for all I know, he could have been given this car for free! That's very possible considering his relationship with whatever that car companies name is that sponsors the club. BUT still, its just not very wise IMO. If he hasn't been given it, then that's even worse.

I even think if he has been given it, it's still a bit bad form considering a lot of people are struggling at the moment, fans are owed ST money etc etc, the list goes on.

EDIT - I must admit, I'm assuming it's his car because his post and story doesn't exactly say that but it certainly looks that way. I just want to be fair to him there.

Seems we jumped the gun, his latest insta story post says he would love a car like that.

I was under the impression that if you hadn't already been furloughed by the 10th you couldn't then be furloughed, was this an internal only thing to my employers or the actual government policy?

if it is the guidance then if the players hadn't agreed last week they won't be furloughed and will either be paid this month in full or not at all, I guess we will have to wait a couple of weeks to find out which one it is

Ding ding ding! Finally, someone has sussed it.

It’s my understanding, that the initial seven players rejected furlough under advice of the PFA.

I don’t think the letter that was printed by the Echo, was the one that the players agreed to.

The second furlough agreement that was drafted up, had a couple of stipulations in it, which the players accepted, and subsequently signed.

I believe that if the current players were offered the same stipulations, they would also sign - albeit begrudgingly.

For sure. What is the general career expectancy for a professional footballer at the top of his game? 10 years?

It’s why so many of them take out short-term mortgages, with massive monthly repayments, so they can get it paid off as quickly as possible.
spot on GBJ
The PFA have been regularly totally inconsistent with advice to existing furlough players . The chances they will get the rest of their money are slim and is likely to be a part of the reason of the rest of the team not accepting furlough.
The accepted terms were revised regarding payment of all monies over and above the 1700 net per mth

Last edited:
If I were a League One footballer and I had outgoings of £10k per month, I think I'd feel a little insecure even in normal times - not exactly the most secure of occupations.
People rarely don't live pro rata to their income though

Seems we jumped the gun, his latest insta story post says he would love a car like that.

I also saw the newer post on instagram saying that BUT, what was odd was it was 3 hours after the original story. You wouldn't usually do that so I wonder if someone called him out about it and he thought he should add it on.

I also saw the newer post on instagram saying that BUT, what was odd was it was 3 hours after the original story. You wouldn't usually do that so I wonder if someone called him out about it and he thought he should add it on.

Someone else said that to me yesterday. Who knows? Either he’s been called out or someone has advised him he needs to remove or put something else out.

At least he didn’t do a Lescott!

He probably was made aware of people putting 2 and 2 together and making 5 so thought it was a good idea to point out it wasn't his car before arrangements were made to have hung drawn and quartered on the pier.. :-)

He probably was made aware of people putting 2 and 2 together and making 5 so thought it was a good idea to point out it wasn't his car before arrangements were made to have hung drawn and quartered on the pier.. :-)

To be fair, it did comes across as if he'd just bought it and in my original post I did clearly state that this may not be what it seems. Rather bizarre to be putting a video up of someone else's BMW. If it was like a Ferrari or something maybe i'd get it more but not something I'd do because I don't really care about cars.

Blimey we really must have been paying out some stupidly high wages for our level if £2500 per month is around 20% of some players salaries. That means some of them must be on around £3k per week. Around double the L1 average salary.

Blimey we really must have been paying out some stupidly high wages for our level if £2500 per month is around 20% of some players salaries. That means some of them must be on around £3k per week. Around double the L1 average salary.

3k a week is about average for the squad. We still have some on £4k & £5k a week

The whole point is that L1 salaries have got increasingly inflated. Whilst we might have been "top half" on salaries we are not particularly out of kilter. As a reference point consider this:

The proposed L1 wage cap that is being talked about to considerably reign in L1 salaries is £2.5m for a squad of 20. That is £125k per annum on average per player- £10k per month, £2.5k per week approx..

The proposed L2 wage cap will mean average of £5k per month or approx £1.25k per week

So the idea that we have been paying stupid wages needs to be seen in the context of most other clubs we are competing against also paying stupid wages- and in some cases much more stupid (and still failing to get promotion..)

So the players have rejected furlough, how do they think a club with no income, that can't even afford to run it's training ground, is going to pay them?

So the players have rejected furlough, how do they think a club with no income, that can't even afford to run it's training ground, is going to pay them?

It's probably the choice between getting 20% (ish) now or getting (or suing the club for) 100% at some future date

Probably process they have to go through to get the PFA involved.
The PFA have been worse the useless. They are under investigation regarding serious governance concerns see below, have hacked off most if not all the clubs, can't get their head around the need for a wage cap, and seem intent on giving advice to players that in some cases will in all likelihood mean them being let go at the end of their contract. I understand players wanting to stick together- but they are not all in the same position. Players with a year or more left on their contracts need to understand that they have team mates whose careers may be in jeopardy if they can't get a contract extension in the next few days.

The PFA have been worse the useless. They are under investigation regarding serious governance concerns see below, have hacked off most if not all the clubs, can't get their head around the need for a wage cap, and seem intent on giving advice to players that in some cases will in all likelihood mean them being let go at the end of their contract. I understand players wanting to stick together- but they are not all in the same position. Players with a year or more left on their contracts need to understand that they have team mates whose careers may be in jeopardy if they can't get a contract extension in the next few days.

One of the last things i did before being furloughed was look at the wage cap, for the record most clubs / chairman want it there a few that dont (won’t name names but obvious really). The PFA are against it full stop thats their position

It's probably the choice between getting 20% (ish) now or getting (or suing the club for) 100% at some future date

Exactly.

The difference with footballers is - as it states in the echo story - that they are on fixed term contracts, with fixed term incomes.

If they don’t receive that income, then the contract has been broken.

The blunt truth is, that Ron entered into contracts with those players, and agreed to pay them X amount.

If he doesn’t, then he’s in breach of the contract.

You couldn’t walk into a bank and tell them you’re not making any money right now, so you’re gunna have to stop paying the mortgage for a while.

FWIW, I don’t think the players would refuse furlough, if Ron could just agree to pay them what they’re owed, even if it’s at a later date. They (along with the PFA) are worried that Ron won’t pay.

If Ron owed you a hundred grand, and he said I’ll pay you when I’ve got it, would you take his word for it?

Back